o.O Three screen display???

Priest +

n00b
I slightly remember there was an article on this in a computer magazine. For the life of me I cannot find it. How do I go about doing this. I think it had something to do with 1 AGP video card and 1 PCI video card. Is it that simple can I run three displays? Right now I have a Albatron 6800 GT with 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and 1 S-Video (no i'm not going to try and use the Svideo as my third monitor).

Priest + said:
I slightly remember there was an article on this in a computer magazine. For the life of me I cannot find it. How do I go about doing this. I think it had something to do with 1 AGP video card and 1 PCI video card. Is it that simple can I run three displays? Right now I have a Albatron 6800 GT with 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and 1 S-Video (no i'm not going to try and use the Svideo as my third monitor).

Well, depending on your current system, you can either use 1 x AGP OR PCI-Express plus PCI cards to increase the displayable area 2 monitors at a time. Caveat - the OS may not support/be configurable for the extra displays though chances rise significantly if you stick with the same chipset (and perhaps card) manufacturer.

However, you can get things rocking with an SLI capable motherboard so you can stuff two PCI-Express cards in and have two displays from each card making a maximum of four monitors this way - you may even be able to add in PCI cards to take it to an extreme.
Note, while SLI connected, if you enable SLI mode, it will only uotput to one display.

I am currently running 3 monitors off 2 x Gainward twin DVI PCI-E 6800GT cards. From what I can gather performance-wise at the moment, one card is doing the rendering for three displays. It's early days for the system though, and I expect Nvidia's drivers will improve things given time.

Tony.

Back