O&O Defrag being weird

Stinger836

Gawd
To my understanding the COMPLETE defrag options are supposed to be better than the stealth and other ones but when I run a COMPLETE/SPACE I have around 118 fragmented files still after I run it but when I run a stealth scan and analyze after it then I have about 3. Is this normal?

Sorry I was in the wrong forum if a mod would move it to the Software forum that'd be great sorry.

Well thats kind of a lot. My bet is that those files are normal windows files that cant be defraged because they are in use. Maybe u can find a defreag program that runs when u boot

Originally posted by ChappyChaps11
a defreag program that runs when u boot

Like O&O Defrag :p

however I agree with the assessment
when your running a COMPLETE SPACE, its accessing what it can, and a number of files are in use, while when your run the StTEALTH setting its functioning in the background, over a much longer period of time and more files become available to defrag as you arent employing them with assorted process constantly (like the shorter time period for the COMPLETE SPACE)

regarding the boot defrag options, the "truely" locked files (Master File Table\s MFT, Registry ect) are defraged then.

one of the things that confuse people is that there maybe more than one block of defraged files, for instance the MFT

"Each file on an NTFS volume is represented by a record in a special file called the master file table (MFT). NTFS reserves the first 16 records of the table for special information. The first record of this table describes the master file table itself, followed by a MFT mirror record. If the first MFT record is corrupted, NTFS reads the second record to find the MFT mirror file, whose first record is identical to the first record of the MFT. The locations of the data segments for both the MFT and MFT mirror file are recorded in the boot sector. A duplicate of the boot sector is located at the logical center of the disk."

so a single neat little block of contiguous files isnt the same as defrag'd files in several blocks that are still contiguous to the files in question, just not all grouped into the front of the disk

typically I run the complete space followed by complete name or access (depending on which partition it is, being the OS or data ect) and then set the STEALTH and the locked files at boot

In addition my partition strategy addresses Fragmentation (and required speeds for the access to the data it contains) a dedicated partition for downloads (P2P) probably being the most important, because by its very nature (small intermittent writes) it fragments to hell) followed by the Scratchdisk\virtual memory\pagefile (because I do alot of graphics) that is located where the performance is best (and if possible on multiple HDDs) and if fixed doesnt really require any defrag, besides its wiped at shutdown as a security measure

Radified Partitioning Strategies
Partitioning taken to the extreme (there are several recovery drawbacks to this strategy, just a word of warning

oh lol I didnt know what O&O defrag was! Can u name a good one? I think I would like to try it

Okay that makes sense I shoulda read up more on what complete space actually does. Thanks...and how do you set windows to clear the swa/page file on shutdown?

Thanks Ice Czar and I second Ice Czar cept Diskeeper can't touch O&O in it's sweet defraggin abilities.

I had diskeeper, I didnt know it would defrag when u boot ure comp, hmm maybe Ill install it again then

there are also these freeware aps from Sysinternals

PageDefrag
Defragment your paging files and Registry hives!

Contig
Wish you could quickly defragment your frequently used files? Use Contig to optimize individual files, or to create new files that are contiguous.

Back