• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

O/C'ing on kt333

bobzdar

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
2,097
I picked up a Barton 2500 for my aging system (MSI kt3 ultra) and was wondering how high any of you have gotten them to o/c. My plan was to get some fast ram that I can use later with an athlon64 system when socket 939 comes out and allow me to o/c the hell out of this chip in the interim. My only concern is whether or not the board will handle a high fsb. It goes up to 220 in the bios, and my processor runs at around 104F at full load right now (case temp is 93F and idle temp is 96F, so it's running pretty cool and I can crank up the fan speed if I want more cooling power), so I should have enough headroom to get to 200mhz. My concern is the agp/pci clocks will be at around 40/80mhz at that speed and I'm not sure if the board will even do it or if my cards will be able to handle it. Has anyone tried this? Getting a new board is out of the question as for that amount of money I could just get an a64 board and return the xp2500, spend another 120 bucks and have a full a64 setup.
 
I ran 400mhz fsb on my KT333 board, they agp and pci were way outa spec but everything ran fine, no problems ever
 
i'm working on overclocking my abit kx7-333r. the pci and agp bus's are out of spec like monkeysofthebutt said.. but i havent had any probelms either. i wasnt able to hit 200fsb yet, i could do 180 easy..but i havent pushed it any farther. my northbridge is burning up, and i need a new cooler. in fact my cuz's computer, which is almost identical to mine, wont even hit 166fsb to run his barton at spec. if you have decent northbridge cooling, and dont have any picky pci or agp cards (adaptec conrtoller cards anyone?) you should be able to hit at least 200-The_Nerd
 
Well, I hit 190mhz with zero problems, but beyond that and I get screen corruption on boot. Not sure if it's the chipset burning up or if it's the vid card getting pissed about the agp clock. I'm going to add a fan and a better heatsink to the chipset and see if that solves it, if not I'll be pretty happy with 2.1ghz. My ram is rated for 217mhz at 2-3-3-6 and my processor is only at 107F full load, so it's something with the board.
 
The money you would spend on a new board for the xp2500 wouldn't even be worth it in my opinion as the kt333 board (Asus A7V333)I ran for a while performed REAL well... was running a xp1800 palomino at 187x9 :cool:

I REALLY wish I didn't kill the damn thing (screwdriver), cuz I'd still be using it right now :(
 
Yeah, a new board is out of the question as so far, my only cost has been for the xp2500 (I traded my xp2100 and my pc2100 for a stick of pc3500 2-3-3-6 ram). If I buy a new motherboard, I'd be half way to an athlon64 3000 setup, so it really wouldn't be worth it. This is just an interim upgrade until 64 bit windows comes out and I'll really be able to make use of an athlon64, and by that time it should be a pretty cheap upgrade path. I'm really pleased with this chip so far, and the only reason I'd consider getting a different board is I'm sure this chip could do well over 200fsb.
 
Back
Top