• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

O.C., & Graphics go Nuts, Artifacts galore+

Croak3

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 8, 2007
Messages
72
(please see signature for set up)

Every thing works fine when I run this rig a stock1.88 GHZ. When I run this Intel 1.88 GHz 6300 Dual core, at 3.0Ghz, I have trouble with graphic. After awhile I start getting screen artifacts, misbehaving images in Photoshop and elsewhere, disappearing title bars etc,

A lot of things seem slower. Mozzila takes about a minute to pop up. 3Ds Max takes a few minuets to save even a small file. This all became a problem after I had a crash, lost my bios settings and OS. I reinstalled everything, Latest drivers, bios, OS, etc. I did ad a second monitor recently but that was pre-crash I think…

I used to run this at about 3.2 GHz. It would do 3.5 GHz stable but it gets pretty hot here I just saw no point.. That was some time ago and those settings are long gone. Never graphics’ trouble but only 1 monitor.

Any insight is great. If you have a similar setup, love to see your settings..

Regard, Croak

BTW: I though I postet this last night but cannot find it. If I did, apologies
 
Last edited:
It looks like the crash was telling you something isnt right and your problems are a progression.
The graphics anomalies sound like the gfx card is suffering.


A few possibilities:
The CPU is fine but when clocked it puts a lot more heat into the case, overheating the gfx card.

Your PSU is on its limit and is causing the gfx card to not get enough power when you clock the CPU.


Clean your gfx card heatsink/fan and all other heatsinks/fans in the system.
Make sure case airflow is good.
If that doesnt work, try a decent PSU that is easily powerful enough and dont cheap on the PSU again!


Word of warning:
If you let any component run very hot for a long time, it can degrade such that it always runs hotter.
This is permanent and will reduce its maximum overclock unless you can cool it better.
If left too hot for long enough, the component may not even run at stock speeds.
 
first check to make sure the PCI-e clock is set at 100mhz.. if it is.. try raising it to 101mhz.. dont go any higher then 105mhz.. some motherboards seem to require a little increase in it.. if that doesnt help.. go back to the default pci-e clock settings.. then try raising the NB voltage a little at a time..
 
Last edited:
first check to make sure the PCI-e clock is set at 100mhz.. if it is.. try raising it to 101mhz.. dont go any higher then 105mhz.. some motherboards seem to require a little increase in it.. if that doesnt help.. go back to the default pci-e clock settings.. then try raising the NB voltage a little at a time..

Sound advice, simonkey,

I've pretty much always steered clear of the PCIE v.just because I never had any reason to mess with it, and it never seemed highly recommended but, I'm open to anything. Northbridge makes sense but, I don't recall seeing anything spelled in those terms. Does it go by a different name in the bios? . I did up the GMCH a notch, I think that's related.

One point, I always have tried to keep the vcore or main v. whatever as low as I can. Right now I am only a 1 notch above stock at 2.2975 (that sound right, 1noth up anyway). Basically , my litmus test was if it booted and didn't' crash when pushed. Graphis were never an issue.

Anyway I'll give this try and thanks much the reply.

Regards, croak
 
Thanks for the reply, You make some good suggestions., little brief on how I use thing.Might help rule some for you or whoever. First of, I am not much of a gamer but, (to keep some cred),what I do is a lot of heavy duty 3dmodeling & design, graphics, video, etc.for the game industry. The most cpu intensive things I do (and it is full throttle) are, 3d renderings, animations, video editing and rendering..and the like.But aside rendering these in these applications, they an others don' tax the cpu much.

These apps. do use to a degree of Open gl or Direct X.Don't know when, or how it taxes the GPU. Nothing happen the screen very fast when rendering,. figure watching from 1-15 minuets while single frame renders on the screen. When I have a long animation or video to render (hours), I usually clock it back to maybe 2,6 or 2,7 GHz and run it over night when it's cool (Open air office). Play it safe.

It looks like the crash was telling you something isn't right and your problems are a progression. The graphics anomalies sound like the gfx card is suffering.A few possibilities:The CPU is fine but when clocked it puts a lot more heat into the case, overheating the gfx card.
I agree, It's cry out. I thin the cpu idles at 40. I've never let it run over 67 or so. Also, No case at all, a little city on my desk.Though the gfx card is "passively" cooled (I love that..how about cost optimized) it has the big cpu cooling tower blowing just warm air at it's back. Right now, ambient temp about 87f. I can put grab the gpx anywere, It's 90f now I guess and the screens are still some what a mess.[/COLOR]

Your PSU is on its limit and is causing the gfx card to not get enough power when you clock the CPU.
Thats pretty interesting. I presumably have 550w PSU. Never had this problem before and I have few active peripherals, Are you suggesting maybe that the new second monoitor is puting a bigger strain on thew gpx and when clocked it I'm drawing more power.

THat sound like a solid possibly, Devils advocate, I huming along here 3.ghz, nothings past luke warm to touch including the PSU. Also can a PSU spread to thin without hot and/or burning out??

Clean your gfx card heatsink/fan and all other heatsinks/fans in the system.Make sure case airflow is good If that doesn't work, try a decent PSU that is easily powerful enough and dont cheap on the PSU again!
The heat sinks an cooler look fine, but I haven't blown it all out for awhile...O.K.. So whats a decent PSU that isn't an arm and a leg? Wattage? Brand(s), in your opinion? I remember reading some time ago that as far as the difference between the advertised wattage and measured wattage, had very little to with the price and a little to with brand, most of the time,

Word of warning:
If you let any component run very hot for a long time, it can degrade such that it always runs hotter.This is permanent and will reduce its maximum overclock unless you can cool it better.If left too hot for long enough, the component may not even run at stock speeds.
Degradation fits the bill, I mean, it was working fine but now not so well. But I just don't tax the thing very often for very long,

Anyway , whatever anyone can draw from my elaborations and comment on, will be great. I have diszzylexia, (grin) hope this makes some sense, I can't honestly tell.

Thanks again sirmonkey, Croak
 
I suggested some ideas why the problem is occuring, not all of the ideas I gave are the reason for the problem :)

Given that your gfx card is a silent one with no fan, it looks like the CPU heating the case air is causing the gfx card to overheat.
The quickest/easiest solution is to get a silent 80mm fan and strap it onto the card.

Each time I build a silent HTPC, I either strap a silent 80mm fan to the gfx card...

Or make an air route round the card, drawing cold air into the case through the cases unused rear blanking plate holes with an 80mm fan, blowing cold air onto the gfx card heatsink.
This is a good method if you have more fans/airflow out of the case than in, like many HTPC cases.


Its a good idea to have a decent PSU for your PCs safety and reliability.
In this case I dont think (at the moment) that it is your problem.
The Corsair HX series are very good with a decent warranty, there are other good brand/models.
Check Jonnyguru and [H] reviews if you want to know about other PSUs.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13
http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies/
 
Thanks again suggestion.and course they just what just what am looking.Your theroy is a good and it certainly sence

However, I guess in all my babbling it was easy miss an important fact, I don't have a box. It's just a motherboard sitting on desk with all the cards stuck in and taking in the in the breeze.Furthermore, I can touch the card anywhere, right on front and back of the GPU, anywhere. It's not hot. About 85f (29c) I'd say.

Your power supply theory and the logic behind it makes sense to me. A really easy check, I think, just disable one monitor in software, maybe even unplug it from the card see what happens.

One other weird thing is, A reboot will put the graphics back in order for a while.

THanks again, Croak
 
lol, is there anything else different with your pc?!
Yes the gfx card heat theory is out of the window which leaves the most likely suspect being the PSU or bad power connections.

Can you unplug the gfx card, clean its connector carefully and blow any dust out of the socket.
If its a bad connection, that should help.
Failing that, try someone else PSU that is easily powerful enough, to confirm if it is a PSU issue.

ps you mentioned earlier that using more monitors draws more power from the PCs PSU.
This doesnt affect the PCs PSU, monitors draw power from the mains independently.
 
"Anything else different", ah not just yet, but as soon as I sort out the cables, I think Im goint to mount the mobo vertically on the wall, More professional look..True, but a laugh.

The cards, always the last thing I think of. I don't know how many I waited until I was pulling my hair out before I did it. On the monitors I was just thinking how all those xtr. pixels for 2 screens.must put a load on the gfx card or somthing..

Anyway, you gut me thinking about voltages and I think I sorted it out, Had GMCH (whatever) at +2,returned it +1. Upped the PCI-E to +2, and upped the CPU one notch. I'd like to get the voltages down but Seems to be working great

Thanks again, Croak
 
Back
Top