NZXT Rogue and coolers

Thanks Rob for the extra pic. That looks like tons of room compared to my situation! I'll have to sell this Mugen 2 for a TRUE since bloody NCIX won't exchange for anything different.

Did you swap the fans so intake is on the CPU side now? What kind of temps are you getting in there? Also what kind of graphics you running in it? I am considering Xfire'd 4890's as the final upgrade in this rig for me.

Ps. So the TRUE only obscures the first ram slot for higher modules? I can't see much need for over 6 gigs right now, but I'd like to keep my reapers in slots 2/4/6.

it does overhang the second slot too, so tall heat spreaders are out of the question.
I don't know my temps, havn't finished tweaking/overclocking it yet, but according to the asus utility, at 3.6ghz @1.2375v with ht on, it was hitting around 54c in the blend portion of prime95.

I do have all side fans as intake, all exhaust is through the rear of the case (120mm fan, psu exhaust, video card exhaust).
As my sig implies, I'm using a gigabyte manufactured Radeon HD4870x2, with plans to get a gigabyte Radeon HD4870 1gb for Crossfire X and to add display port/hdmi support.

You guys got some wicked set-ups in this case. I'm highly considering the Rogue, but have a question regarding the blue LED strips in front of the case.... can they be disabled?

Sorry Rob didn't notice your sig. BTW I like the blue very classy, mine's red. And to answer xristos.. Yes I disabled the front cathodes by disconnecting the molex for them inside.

Good news though, I managed to fit the Scythe Mugen 2 inside my Rogue! It's soo tight! 2 sides of it are both pushing a tiny bit on the A) OCZ Reaper in slot 2 and B) my PSU. But it fits! Much quieter than stock HSF... plus I think it dropped my idle temps from the 60s to the 50s.. Isn't this still a little high? OC'd ram to 2000 MHz and the CPU 3000 (21 multiplier). Any more OCing advice for noob to get the most from his i7?

Also, any ideas how i could shave like 0.5-1mm off the lower side of this heat sink near the ram? I've got the aluminum version.

4870x2+1 thats an interesting setup.. Does Xfire work well with 3 GPUs? I've heard most recommendations say 2 are better price/performance than 3 or 4.

Sorry Rob didn't notice your sig. BTW I like the blue very classy, mine's red. And to answer xristos.. Yes I disabled the front cathodes by disconnecting the molex for them inside.

Good news though, I managed to fit the Scythe Mugen 2 inside my Rogue! It's soo tight! 2 sides of it are both pushing a tiny bit on the A) OCZ Reaper in slot 2 and B) my PSU. But it fits! Much quieter than stock HSF... plus I think it dropped my idle temps from the 60s to the 50s.. Isn't this still a little high? OC'd ram to 2000 MHz and the CPU 3000 (21 multiplier). Any more OCing advice for noob to get the most from his i7?

Also, any ideas how i could shave like 0.5-1mm off the lower side of this heat sink near the ram? I've got the aluminum version.

4870x2+1 thats an interesting setup.. Does Xfire work well with 3 GPUs? I've heard most recommendations say 2 are better price/performance than 3 or 4.

Grats on the snug fit, that idle temp does sound a bit high, but depending on core revision might not be too far from normal. I havn't had a chance to play with any D0's yet, but the C0's i've touched would only hit 60 under load with the stock cooler, i'd be concerned it's not making good contact with the cpu considering it's pushed up against your psu and ram modules.

3 way crossfire does not seem very common, but I've seen some interesting benchmarks showing similar if not improved performance over 4 way (2 4870x2's) Seems like the overhead of the 4th gpu doesn't outweigh it's extra horsepower in most game engines.

My real reason for going three way, though, is so that i can add a native display port. I'm considering getting a Tripplehead2go DP when it comes out, it uses the extra bandwidth in Display Port that DVI can't offer to run all 3 displays at 1680x1050 @ 60hz (dvi version runs 57hz). The card i'm looking at getting is this

Display Port sounds interesting... Is this the successor to DVI then?

My i7 is a D0 actually... And when I drop the OC back down to 2.666/1066 the cpu idles at like mid 30-40C now... I think about mid 50s at load. I don't want to leave this pressure on the ram though I've already had 1 DRAM error when booting. I guess it's time to dremel those fins down a bit.

It's such a tight fit now I have to remove the whole motherboard just to swap a HDD :p I should really post some pics but the woman is on vacation and took the camera with her. D'oh!

Display Port sounds interesting... Is this the successor to DVI then?

My i7 is a D0 actually... And when I drop the OC back down to 2.666/1066 the cpu idles at like mid 30-40C now... I think about mid 50s at load. I don't want to leave this pressure on the ram though I've already had 1 DRAM error when booting. I guess it's time to dremel those fins down a bit.

It's such a tight fit now I have to remove the whole motherboard just to swap a HDD :p I should really post some pics but the woman is on vacation and took the camera with her. D'oh!

Those temps sound much more normal, so other than that dram error, I'm much less concerned. As it is, it seems everyone says those D0's run hotter at lower voltages, so you should be good to go after a little dremmel action.

just ordered one of these from newegg with $80 off :eek::eek::eek:! I can't use it yet but I intend to and that is a deal you just can't pass up!! as an added bonus I can keep my TRUE Copper when I convert to SFF in a few months.

Hey, so I bought the red-led black NZXT Rogue and I'm planning to use the i7 920 and an X58 board. I probably won't be doing any overclocking, and so I was wondering if anyone knew how well the stock Intel cooler that comes with the 920 fares when used with the 920 at stock settings.

If it works fairly well, especially given the cooling options of the Rogue (I was thinking of having all four side fans do intake, and expel air through the rear), I may just use that and not bother with trying to fit a larger cooler in it.

The stock cooler works good enough for stock but if you want something more quiet and/or more cooler then many after market hsf will do a better job than the retail hsf. I guess it depends on how picky you want to be about sound and cooling. You could try your build with the stock retail hsf and see if it bothers you any and, if so, then replace it with a after market hsf of your choice.

The stock cooler works good enough for stock but if you want something more quiet and/or more cooler then many after market hsf will do a better job than the retail hsf. I guess it depends on how picky you want to be about sound and cooling. You could try your build with the stock retail hsf and see if it bothers you any and, if so, then replace it with a after market hsf of your choice.

Yeah, normally I'd just go and do as you said, but from what I've heard, it's a real pain to disassemble a Rogue once it's together, so not sure how much I want to risk giving the stock cooler a try, lol.

I've been looking at the Zalman 9500, 9700 and 9900, as it looks like any of them would fit (although the 9900 would be limited to facing the side panels, due to its height). Online it seems like people have gotten good results from them when not OCing, but when I checked on here, it seems like results are mixed.

Yeah, normally I'd just go and do as you said, but from what I've heard, it's a real pain to disassemble a Rogue once it's together, so not sure how much I want to risk giving the stock cooler a try, lol.

I've been looking at the Zalman 9500, 9700 and 9900, as it looks like any of them would fit (although the 9900 would be limited to facing the side panels, due to its height). Online it seems like people have gotten good results from them when not OCing, but when I checked on here, it seems like results are mixed.

Check here for another Rogue user's solution

It sounds to me like you want something better than the retail Intel hsf so you might as well go ahead and budget for it. Whatever you choose is bound to be superior to the Intel hsf both in cooling and noise. Now it is a matter of how good of one you want and how much you want to spend and what will fit your rogue. The 9500 is good and quiet. I've heard people complain the 9700 is noisey but I dont think so. I've never used the 9900 so cant say how it is. Might want to see if the Thermalright Ultra 120 will fit. Its supposed to be a really good hsf. Basically the case is going to be your limiting factor here. The Rogue does allow for hsf that are bigger than many SFF cases allow so that is a positive in your favor.

It sounds to me like you want something better than the retail Intel hsf so you might as well go ahead and budget for it. Whatever you choose is bound to be superior to the Intel hsf both in cooling and noise. Now it is a matter of how good of one you want and how much you want to spend and what will fit your rogue. The 9500 is good and quiet. I've heard people complain the 9700 is noisey but I dont think so. I've never used the 9900 so cant say how it is. Might want to see if the Thermalright Ultra 120 will fit. Its supposed to be a really good hsf. Basically the case is going to be your limiting factor here. The Rogue does allow for hsf that are bigger than many SFF cases allow so that is a positive in your favor.

Yeah, I do have the Ultra 120 on my list of ones to consider. The main reason I've just been looking at the 9XXX series of coolers is because due to the design you can get some additional cooling in the areas adjacent to the CPU.

From the posts of CrazyRob and others here, it seems like I can either go with one that is less than 130mm in height and let it be as wide as I want, or go greater than 130 and be somewhat limited. I really wish that the PSU was just a little bit further away. :(

Edit - I guess I should add that the other reason I'm looking either for an omni-directional cooler, or one that is more traditional but under 130mm, is just that I'm somewhat concerned about having it expel hot air out against the back of the GPU. It's probably fearful ignorance, but can anyone see that impacting the GPU performance at all?

Last edited:
I think I've narrowed it down to two/three choices:

Scythe Big Shuriken: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185129

Thermaltake V1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102&ref=dynamitedata.com (based upon what I could find, I believe it should fit, albeit barely. I'm mainly considering this cause it should get the job done and looks fairly cool :p

and if I can find it in the US, the Scythe Zipang 2:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/049/sczp2000-detail.html

I dont know about that Thermaltake V1. Thats one odd looking hsf. I cant say I've ever heard of anyone using it in any type of build, mATX or ATX. I think the other two choices are better than that V1.

I dont know about that Thermaltake V1. Thats one odd looking hsf. I cant say I've ever heard of anyone using it in any type of build, mATX or ATX. I think the other two choices are better than that V1.
Well, what reviews I could find on the V1 and its related forms (like the V1 AX) were fairly decent, although there were only a couple in regards to the i7 920. It seemed like the general consensus is that it serves well for stock speeds and minor OCing, but don't expect it to be that great for high overclocks (if I do overclock, it'd be relatively minor, such as to 2.8 or 3.0). I won't lie, part of the reason I like it is just because how it looks, and how it'd look when looking through the Rogue's top window :p. Plus, the two fans on the side will be doing intake, so they'll be blowing on it partly too, helping to remove heat from the fins.

I wish I could find a good review for the Big Shuriken. It seems like some sites have been getting it confused with the Zipang 2, and from what I've found, the Zipang 2 is ok but not that great (some have said the original Zipang was better).

I'm kinda interested now in the Cosair H50 system too, although I'm not sure how I'd mount the radiator.

[Ion];1034620280 said:
Couldn't you mount it to the rear fan?
That's what I was thinking, but the radiator is a little bit wider than the 120mm fan that mounts to it, and from looking inside my case, it seems as if with the PSU in, the 120mm fan's sides themselves would be flush with the PSU, so I can't see how the radiator won't hit up against the PSU and unable to be mounted.

That's why I was hoping CrazyRob could provide some insight :D

there is some clearance on all side's of the 120mm exhaust fan, especially on the side opposite the psu (right door side). It's almost 1/2" between the psu and the exhaust fan, and almost 3/4" from the top of the case. There is about 1 1/4" between the side door and the exhaust fan. So I'm thinking worst case scenario, the hoses could on the right hand side where there's the most clearance.

And of course, I'm always accepting paypal donations to help with getting new gear ;)

Well I ordered an H50 over the weekend so I'll be able to see how it fits. probably won't show up till thursday (confirmed through UPS tracking) , not sure if I'll have a chance to gut my rig till the weekend though.

*edited in confirmation of UPS tracking, can you tell I'm anxious?*

Last edited:
Just got in the h50, leak testing it at work tonight. Don't think I'll get around to installation tonight, but I do intend on test fitting it. Will be posting results ASAP.

Just got in the h50, leak testing it at work tonight. Don't think I'll get around to installation tonight, but I do intend on test fitting it. Will be posting results ASAP.
Nice! Look forward to seeing the results. Oh, where do you plan on mounting the radiator?

I'm gonna have it sandwiched between two fans exhausting out the rear 120mm exhaust port. Holding the rad up to the rear fan, I can tell it's gonna be a tight fit, and i won't really know how it'll work until I try. Ideally i want the hoses to be oriented toward the top, but it might not fit under the frame the right side door rests on. Orienting the hoses closest to the right side fan would conflict with the side fan, requiring it's removal, which I would like to avoid. having the hoses oriented closest to the psu may be easiest to install, but it will be snug at best. The fourth option which i hadn't considered until now would be to have the hoses oriented toward the bottom, and have the hoses loop down to the cpu, but they don't feel very flexy so i don't know how well that would work. If i get off work early tomorrow, I may come home and rip it aapart, otherwise may have to wait until saturday.

Good News!

The H50 fits snugly with the hoses oriented toward the top with no obstroctions by any other parts of the case or fans. No modding, just install and go. Battery's charging for my digital camera right now, will take some pics tonight. But i have to say, this worked so well, it's almost like the Rogue and the H50 were designed for each other.

Good News!

The H50 fits snugly with the hoses oriented toward the top with no obstroctions by any other parts of the case or fans. No modding, just install and go. Battery's charging for my digital camera right now, will take some pics tonight. But i have to say, this worked so well, it's almost like the Rogue and the H50 were designed for each other.

That's awesome news! I can't wait to see how it looks. I'd probably use the same arrangement as you setup.

Whenever you get a chance, can you take system temperatures? I'm curious to see whether the elimination of the additional airflow that the TRUE provided towards the NB chipset caused it to rise at all (that's the only thing that concerns me some what, is how hot the NB chipset gets on the X58 in the Rogue).

I'm not sure my system is a good condidate for that, considering i replaced the stock cooler with a zalman (Even though i havn't noticed a difference from replacing the heatsink). Havn't done any serious priming yet on the system, will probably do that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, after running prime95 blend for an hour with the stock paste, my temps appear to be down 10c from my TRUE Black 120 using the same fans and settings. As a disclaimer, I have to pump mad volts through my cpu for stability at 4.0ghz (not sure why on that) but it is rock solid stable at these volts and temps on the true and h50. The true was approaching tjmax with some cores tipping 100c (embarrasingly high), with the highest core temp peak of 91 on the H50. Watching the temps it seemed like the most common high temp was around 85. Overall, with the ease of installation and quality of build and performance, and relative price, I'd go as far as to say the H50 is likely the best modless cooler option for the NZXT rogue. If my system had enough room to rotate the true 90degrees to exhaust with the system exhaust and have sandwiched fans, the result might be different, but with this case, I can't imagine a more ideal setup.

Well, after running prime95 blend for an hour with the stock paste, my temps appear to be down 10c from my TRUE Black 120 using the same fans and settings. As a disclaimer, I have to pump mad volts through my cpu for stability at 4.0ghz (not sure why on that) but it is rock solid stable at these volts and temps on the true and h50. The true was approaching tjmax with some cores tipping 100c (embarrasingly high), with the highest core temp peak of 91 on the H50. Watching the temps it seemed like the most common high temp was around 85. Overall, with the ease of installation and quality of build and performance, and relative price, I'd go as far as to say the H50 is likely the best modless cooler option for the NZXT rogue. If my system had enough room to rotate the true 90degrees to exhaust with the system exhaust and have sandwiched fans, the result might be different, but with this case, I can't imagine a more ideal setup.
I think you've sold me on using it. :D I guess I might just use a SpotCool blowing on the NB to help cool it down some then.

I actually have a spinq in a machine i just built at my work, and at approximately 4 3/4" across it's pretty wide. It overhangs the cpu socket far enough that I'm pretty sure you'll have clearance issues with your psu.

Ah ok. Thank Rob!

Since the Prolimatech Megahalems are about the same shape and dimensions as the TRUE Extreme 120, the Megahalems should fit, right?
I'm trying to decide between these 2 coolers.

Prolimatech Megahalems
http://www.svc.com/megahalems.html

or

Cooler Master V8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055
The Cooler Master V8 is an interesting story. Someone on here once said that they couldn't get it to fit, no matter what direction they used, due to the clearance issues with the PSU.

However, on NZXT's Rogue support forums, someone posted a video where they were able to get a V8 into it successfully. The video's on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEvrM99YsEE

I was tempted to go with the V8 myself after seeing the video, but in the end CrazyRob's success with the H50 convinced me to go that direction.

How's the H50 working out btw Rob?

Yeah, I saw that video as well so I figured I would be able to fit the V8 inside. I'm also considering the
Cooler Master Hyper n620, which is not as wide as the V8, but is lengthier by 1cm.

*edited for talking out of my ass without knowing what i was saying*
For some reason i thought the cpu socket was centered on these boards, but clearly i was wrong. As for the v8 fit, I'm not sure. Not all boards place the cpu socket in the same place, and that youtube video doesn't seem to indicate what he's using for a motherboard, or cpu for that matter.

And I am quite satisfied with my H50. My fun budget is currently building up for a new snowboard and bike parts, but next on the agenda is an OC station, and lapping my cpu and applying liquid metal pro.

Last edited:
Quick update, the Thermaltake SpinQ does fit in the Rogue case. I'm using an Asus Rampage Gene II Mobo and OCZ RAM and the SpinQ still has some room.

What happened to your ATI gpu plans CrazyRob? I had to return a pair of 4870s "dark knights" because they were getting way too hot in my Rogue. Went with MATRIX GTX 285 in SLI and temps are down while performance is up but wallet hurts more heheh.

Back