Hey guys,
I recently bought an NZXT Phantom 530 for a new build. However, I can't seem to decide on a particular fan setup for optimal airflow that could help reduce both stagnant air and dust accumulation inside the case. The picture below shows the available fan mounting options for the case.

I've been doing a bit of reading regarding airflow, and I've learned that a neutral airflow is best. However, since it's practically impossible to achieve a neutral airflow due to factors that could affect it such as dust filters and whatnot, the best alternative would be going towards a more positive airflow. The fans that I'll be using would be the ff. with their maximum airflow according to their specifications:
200mm ThermalTake Pure 20 - 129.639 CFM
140mm Cougar Dual-X CFD14 - 73.18 CFM
120mm Cougar Dual-X CFD12 - 64.37 CFM
I've been brainstorming different fan profiles with these fans, and I came up with a profile that has more intake than exhaust, to compensate for the restriction from using dust filters. Note that the case comes with fine dust filters at the front and bottom intakes. I'll be getting a filter for the side. Just in case it's a factor, I'll be using air cooling (Cryorig H5 Ultimate) for the CPU and a non-reference VC. Anyway, this is what I came up with:
INTAKE:
1 - 200mm (Front/Filtered) - 129.639
1 - 140mm (Side/Optional Filter) - 73.18
1 - 120mm (Bottom/Filtered) - 64.37
Max intake - 267.189 CFM
EXHAUST:
2 - 140mm (Top) - 146.36
1 - 140mm (Rear) - 73.18
Max exhaust - 219.54 CFM
Would the intake be enough to compensate for the air restriction due to filters, without actually going below the amount of air being exhausted? Or is this overcompensating it and could result in stagnant air? It would be great if I could get a response from past owners of the case.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, and thank you for the replies.
I recently bought an NZXT Phantom 530 for a new build. However, I can't seem to decide on a particular fan setup for optimal airflow that could help reduce both stagnant air and dust accumulation inside the case. The picture below shows the available fan mounting options for the case.
I've been doing a bit of reading regarding airflow, and I've learned that a neutral airflow is best. However, since it's practically impossible to achieve a neutral airflow due to factors that could affect it such as dust filters and whatnot, the best alternative would be going towards a more positive airflow. The fans that I'll be using would be the ff. with their maximum airflow according to their specifications:
200mm ThermalTake Pure 20 - 129.639 CFM
140mm Cougar Dual-X CFD14 - 73.18 CFM
120mm Cougar Dual-X CFD12 - 64.37 CFM
I've been brainstorming different fan profiles with these fans, and I came up with a profile that has more intake than exhaust, to compensate for the restriction from using dust filters. Note that the case comes with fine dust filters at the front and bottom intakes. I'll be getting a filter for the side. Just in case it's a factor, I'll be using air cooling (Cryorig H5 Ultimate) for the CPU and a non-reference VC. Anyway, this is what I came up with:
INTAKE:
1 - 200mm (Front/Filtered) - 129.639
1 - 140mm (Side/Optional Filter) - 73.18
1 - 120mm (Bottom/Filtered) - 64.37
Max intake - 267.189 CFM
EXHAUST:
2 - 140mm (Top) - 146.36
1 - 140mm (Rear) - 73.18
Max exhaust - 219.54 CFM
Would the intake be enough to compensate for the air restriction due to filters, without actually going below the amount of air being exhausted? Or is this overcompensating it and could result in stagnant air? It would be great if I could get a response from past owners of the case.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, and thank you for the replies.
Last edited: