NZXT Kraken X42 or X62

thehoj

n00b
I've got an S340 Elite case, and I'm trying to figure out if I should go for the X62 (280mm) cooler, or X42 (140mm).. It might seem like a silly question, but my reasoning on this is that I'm concerned about enough cool air coming into my case.

My case has room for 2 140mm fans in the front, so I could run either the 280mm rad with the two fans with no problem, but I could also run the 140mm rad in the top location, and then a 140mm fan below it.

The X42 rad (140mm) seems to do pretty well at cooling the processor in the reviews I've read.
I'm just concerned about my graphics card, and part of me wonders if overall I'd be better off having the extra airflow of a free flowing bottom front fan, and then just the rad in the top front fan location..

Does anyone have experience with NZXT rads? How much airflow comes through the rad with the supplied rad fans? Enough for cooling the graphics card? Does it make more sense to just go for the 280mm?

I don't want this to potentially turn into a front mount rads are bad discussion either.. Believe it or not a front mount fan has merits over a top mount, because a front mount is pulling in cool air from the front of the case, a top mount is pulling in warm air from warm stuff inside the case. It is true that the top mount rad is then expelling air out of the case, and that the front mount one is expelling that into the case, but in the testing I've seen online both seem to perform pretty equally.
Comparison video:

I'd prefer the x62 like mine :ROFLMAO:

however

the fans are controlled by the pump, gets controlled by the cam software that comes with it

The fans produce a fair bit of pressure, they are meant to do so

however running the AiO with the silent, or even performance setting let's the fans spin rather slow

my solution would be:

- create a custom fan curve

- connect the fans to the Mainboard and let the speed be controlled by the board itself

- use 4 fans; in push pull
the other 2 fans could be controlled by the board itself

one of those

honestly I think a custom fancurve would work well enough

I would definitely plan to create a custom fan curve. My only thought was, how restrictive is the radiator and how much air can flow through the rad with the stock fans?
I've never used a radiator / water cooling before in a case, so I'm not sure how restrictive the radiators are.
As long as I'm able to get enough air in through the front of the case with the X62, I'd definitely go that route.

I'd like to maintain a bit of positive pressure in the case, and I'm just using a couple Corsair quiet edition AF120 fans for exhaust, so I would expect that the two 140mm fans on the front of the x62 should be able to pump enough air into the case to maintain that positive pressure.
I just wanted to look into it a bit before buying something. Though I may end up swapping out the top rear fan for an AF140..

Unfortunately I don't think I can do a 4 fan setup on the x62 rad due to space constraints with the case. The S340 has a plate that extends into the case cavity that wouldn't allow room for fans on the other side of the radiator.

Other thoughts about this cooler...
There is no official word from NZXT on whether this cooler will be compatible with AM4 mounting.. Based on how the block mounts to the CPU I would imagine they COULD make a bracket that would work on the AM4, it'd just be nice to hear from them on whether or not this is in the plans.
I'd like to keep my options open in case the Ryzen ends up being the route I go.

My other big concern with this cooler is that I live in central Canada.. Though we have some warmer than normal weather right now, we're very close to getting back into deadly cold temperatures.. -30C to -40C.. I wonder how well this cooler would do with temperatures this cold during transport.. I'd hate for the liquid to freeze and crack something. I have a feeling that even if there is some sort of anti-freeze in the coolant, that -30C would still be too cold. I can't find any info on this online anywhere either.. I've emailed NZXT with my questions, and have been waiting a day now with no response.. If they ever do respond to me I'll update this thread with what they say.

I'd prefer the x62 like mine :ROFLMAO:

however

the fans are controlled by the pump, gets controlled by the cam software that comes with it

The fans produce a fair bit of pressure, they are meant to do so

however running the AiO with the silent, or even performance setting let's the fans spin rather slow

my solution would be:

- create a custom fan curve

- connect the fans to the Mainboard and let the speed be controlled by the board itself

- use 4 fans; in push pull
the other 2 fans could be controlled by the board itself

one of those

honestly I think a custom fancurve would work well enough

look a bit down

u/IVANZXT • 15d
I can confirm NZXT will be providing AM4 brackets for our Kraken series wather coolers and we will let you know how to get them when they become available

look a bit down

Yay!
Did they actually email you back? I still haven't heard back from them..

I think I'll go for the X62.. The more I think about it, the crazier it seems to not go for the bigger one if I've got the room for it.

As for shipping these in cold weather, I found a place somewhat locally that I can just pick one up from, so I don't need to worry about it freezing.

Yay!
Did they actually email you back? I still haven't heard back from them..

I think I'll go for the X62.. The more I think about it, the crazier it seems to not go for the bigger one if I've got the room for it.

As for shipping these in cold weather, I found a place somewhat locally that I can just pick one up from, so I don't need to worry about it freezing.

Frankly I only Googled

but the dude saying they will apparently is a NZXT employee something something

I'm using mine on my Kaby

I'll try twitter
maybe I get a hold of an answer myself

Frankly I only Googled

but the dude saying they will apparently is a NZXT employee something something

I'm using mine on my Kaby

I'll try twitter
maybe I get a hold of an answer myself

Jeez... I searched quite a bit on Google.. haha.. I must suck at Le Goog or something.

I ALMOST bit the bullet and picked up a Kaby Lake setup, but decided to keep rocking the oc'd i5 2500K.. It's just still pretty damn good. And I just have to wait and see what Ryzen does to the market.

I ALMOST bit the bullet and picked up a Kaby Lake setup, but decided to keep rocking the oc'd i5 2500K.. It's just still pretty damn good. And I just have to wait and see what Ryzen does to the market.

there you go

Take a look at @NZXT's Tweet:

there you go

Take a look at @NZXT's Tweet:

Excellent!

LzR150B.gif

I guess Twitter is the best method for getting in touch with NZXT

Back