NZXT Announces The KRAKEN G10 GPU Bracket

do you use that (or close to) setup? I'm not flaming, but I'm not sure I'd trust low price ebay hardware to cool high end stuff. Even if they held up, would they do well?

I think he's just trying to justify his habit :D.

do you use that (or close to) setup? I'm not flaming, but I'm not sure I'd trust low price ebay hardware to cool high end stuff. Even if they held up, would they do well?

I share your view. I would never want to shove cheap china ebay stuff on my $700 dollar gpu.

Im sure it will work fine, but Id rather pay another $20-30 for something reputable for peace of mind.

The cheapest H50 which the bracket can take is $55 from Newegg. Add $30 for the brakcet, and you just have a setup to cool the graphics card alone. Would need another $55 for the CPU. The man point of the is convenience. A custom water cooling setup, even one where the parts are cheap knock off Chinese parts would still cool better for that price. And if you need more cooling you can always expand a custom setup.

The barbs are G1/4 so you can replace them with your choosing. Water blocks aren't complicated, and they don't need to cost much. Honestly they're all made in China so what's the point? As long as you use an all copper system, and nothing is conducting meaning there's insulation between the radiator and the case, then nothing should go wrong. I also like to use car coolant and some Red Line Water Wetter to prevent electrolysis and growth.

The NZXT is just a fan that aims air at the VRM to cool it, not the block itself. Normally I would just stick some copper heat sinks and use my cases air circulation to cool them.

sku3725.jpg

That doesn't work for the 290x and doesn't work very well for the 290. It's been tried.

You can get EK or Koolance cpu blocks for $40-45, or you could buy better used stuff for similar prices, so no. Chinese will do anything to cut corners and cost. If you had a computer you didn't care about I guess you could try but then that's just a waste of money. Water cooling is the kinda thing where you either do it right or just don't bother.

I use similar hardware that I bought off Ebay, and made some mistakes that I could have avoided. My main rig has a name brand Zalman water block which has a copper bottom but aluminum upper. The aluminum upper has oxidized badly, which I plan to get one of those Chinese water blocks to replace it. The pump and reservoir are the ones I listed from Ebay, and works fine. The water block on my GPU is pure copper and very small, and you can't open it up to clean it, but it is Chinese made cheap.

My HTPC uses a Chinese water block like the one I linked and works great. The problem is I bought a cheap Aluminum radiator for it, and that isn't working great. It works fine now, but I do plan to replace it with a copper one. It had a cheap Chinese water block with an aluminum upper half that ate away badly. It was no different then the Zalman brand block I have in my main PC.

Nothing has leaked or gone bad, but every 6 months I change the coolant and examine the parts. Biggest problem I've had is growth in the system, and that's due to coolant. I've used off the shelf PC coolant and they're not cutting it. But that's why I've switched to using car coolant cause it does a better job at preventing growth and electrolysis to aluminum parts, which I do unfortunately have in both my PCs. It does reduce cooling over distilled water with proper additives, but not enough to deal with electrolysis and growth.

What I've learned is this.
#1 Go all copper to prevent corrosion to parts. You could use aluminum but you'd need to take precautions.
#2 Electrically insulate any parts of the cooling system from the case. The radiator can't directly touch the case, and the screws that hold the radiator to the case can't either. This helps reduce electrolysis.
#3 Either use distilled water with good quality additives or car coolant. Never buy pre-made coolant, especially the ones with coloring dye. That dye will stick to everything and turn it ugly.

That doesn't work for the 290x and doesn't work very well for the 290. It's been tried.

That's cause everyone that has, uses sticky thermal pads to hold them on. Using thermal adhesive would solve that problem. Even with the NZXT bracket, I'd still put those heatsinks on if it would fit.

SO I could take my old H50 CPU cooler setup and put it on one of these brackets for my video card and be good to go?

Back