NVR systems-DIY?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I am looking at setting up some cameras both indoors and outdoors to monitor the security of our facility. Looking at the geovision IP cameras, I am wondering about what type of system power I would need for 16 or more cameras in terms of cpu and disk i/o, and disk space. Some areas we may want to monitor 24/7 and some only based on movement.

Are there other units or companies to look into?

Right now everything is open. I have a quote from a local company for 15k.

Would like to be able to view on smart phones and over the internet. I have cat5 to much of the locations that these cameras would be used.

Do you need low light/night vision? Do you need/want Pan/Tilt/Zoom (PTZ) functionality? Could it be used for disciplinary or criminal prosecution? How many active monitoring sessions will you want?

Low light could be nice. May be used for disciplinary action or criminal prosecution. I would say no more than 5 active motoring session.

For the low light, depending upon the size of your facility and where you want to monitor, it may be necessary to include dedicated IR illuminators.

Any action against employees will require good quality images. Don't skimp on this. HD (720p) cameras at a minimum. None of that 640x480 garbage.

And 720p images will requite IPCams so that narrows the field right there. And if you have Cat5 at most locations, is POE an option? Will you need PTZ and nay locations, either for Manual control or triggered focusing? Indoor/Outdoor? And/or How many of each? This a a WIDE open discussion w/o more info.

My best advice, print a map of the location that you are trying to cover and start drawing. Maybe even post it here. Treat each location separately and then take stock as a whole.

POE could be an option. I'd say no to PTZ at this time. Would need some outdoor cameras.

As Nate7311 said, it looks like IP cameras will be a must. Many can be housed in outdoor-rated enclosures. (Note: Be careful here as there are several ratings that denote just how "weatherproof" an enclosure is.) The map suggestion is sound. If you have a wide open area that you want to cover, even having a 720p camera may not provide enough detail at range to be useful. There is also the consideration of focal lengths on the camera lenses which will affect their field of view and clarity.

How about the NVR backend? What is suggested?

what is the budget?

call 4xem =)

but i generally do a dell optiplex for the small installs 8 camera or under.

Many of the camera vendors also have software packages. Milestone has their Xprotect suite. Axis has their Camera Companion and Camera Station solutions. There are quite a few applications that can support IP cameras utilizing standard streaming protocols.

Back