NVR and cameras

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Looking at options, I have looked off and on, and never really got a warm fuzzy on other threads or posts so starting a thread here.

What I am after:
  • Outdoor cameras-should have IR. Do not need remote pan/tilt/zoom. Fixed is fine
  • At this point I am not sure on the location so vandal proof or not, not 100%. Let's assume they will be out of reach
  • NVR-after a lot of back and forth, I would rather have a dedicated box for this, meaning dedicated hardware/appliance
  • POE is a requirement

Now, I know there are many options of hikvision in terms of international or china builds, this is also an area I am not sure of. I am looking for at least 4 cameras and may go with more down the road. I'd appreciate any input from those who have used a few different models and actually used/deployed the equipment, and handled firmware updates as well.

My budget at this time is open, I am expecting to spend up to $200 a camera.

I run a DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR with two DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm, four DS-2CD2132-I 2.8mm and a DS-2CD2032-I 4mm.

The NVR has built in PoE, but the cameras are 802.11af so you can power it with any 802.11af switch.

Firmware upgrades are painless on both the cameras and NVR. Make sure you download the correct firmware file by verifying the model # listed.

I would buy the cameras and NVR from an authorized distributor or reseller due to the amount of china versions that are on Amazon, eBay, etc.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/distributionPartner.aspx?c_kind=43&c_kind2=45&c_kind3=56

The cameras should be running you between $100-150 depending on where you buy them from and if they are on sale. Like ADI has the DS-2CD2332-I-4mm on sale for $133.

I have used some shitty D-Link and TrendNet IP cameras and an analog 960H camera system before I made the move to HIKVision. I absolutely love HIKVision.

With all that said...Do you know what focal lengths that you want or need?

Unsure on focal length. The plan is these will be deployed at the new house so distances are unknown, but thinking 2.8 is going to be it. I do believe I can huck them under an over hang and hopefully pull cables through attic and down somewhere.

Sate side is there a known good source to get the cameras from? Many of the pages want you to apply for an account, fuck that noise I don't need to pay dues, fees or fuck around for a one time thing. You want my money then work for it, I am not going to work for your business:mad:.

When I had looked the last go it seemed everyone and their mother were selling them, some the sellers said contact them for firmware upgrades which makes me think they are doing something shoddy. I want to set it and forget it.

Unsure on focal length. The plan is these will be deployed at the new house so distances are unknown, but thinking 2.8 is going to be it. I do believe I can huck them under an over hang and hopefully pull cables through attic and down somewhere.

Sate side is there a known good source to get the cameras from? Many of the pages want you to apply for an account, fuck that noise I don't need to pay dues, fees or fuck around for a one time thing. You want my money then work for it, I am not going to work for your business:mad:.

When I had looked the last go it seemed everyone and their mother were selling them, some the sellers said contact them for firmware upgrades which makes me think they are doing something shoddy. I want to set it and forget it.

When in doubt I like to use 2.8mm so you can get the most viewing area. I always use 2.8mm for doors or driveways. If you have something a little father away you can get a 4mm or a vari-focal camera.

ADI is where I get my cameras from. Anixter is another good choice, you will need an account but there were no fees when I set mine up a few years ago.

The people saying contact them for firmware upgrades are likely selling the chinese version, which IMHO is inferior.

I run Hikvision cameras on a Synology, though if I hadn't already owned the latter I would have went with a dedicated NVR.

As stated, you want the US retail version of those cameras (I have a single chinese one and it works fine, but still). On Amazon (or where ever you buy them) just make sure they are shipping you the white retail box and you should be good.

Hikvisions are generally considered the best bang for the buck and mine work really well (2x 2032, 1x 2632, 1x 2232) and have 3 more 2032's to put up.

As far as focal length, it all just depends. I have a 12mm pointed at my front door so you can really clearly see someone's face, even in the dark.

You can see some differences here:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41676

edit: here, this is what they look like http://i.imgur.com/KXu1CHV.png

Last edited:
Back