NVnews is no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I was bored so I browsed my old bookmarks.

I knew that sites like riva3d and sharkyextreme are long gone, but I was kind of surprised that nvnews is no more.

I googled and it turns out Mike Chambers (the owner) died las june 30th and apparently no one was interested in buying the site.

That's really sad to hear about Mike. I know his son died a couple of years back.

I also used to belong there back in the day. There was a big falling out between Mike and a few of the long term members. Almost everyone left. Went to Rage3d until there members got unhappy about the influx of Nvida people . So alot of them left. Kind of funny how things happen.

Sad but it happens...

Perhaps we should demand an [H] fitness routine. Gotta make sure Kyle, Steve, and co are in shape.

The site was pretty much "dead" for long before. There were no recent reviews and news were lacking. The forums had little to no activity.

I used to be a pretty big part of that community, it's really sad that it disappeared.

As computers become more like appliances you never put any thought into, more of these hardware enthusiast sites will die off. There aren't any toaster or refrigerator enthusiast sites out there.

Yeah that place broke down a long, long time ago. I haven't been back in ages.

As computers become more like appliances you never put any thought into, more of these hardware enthusiast sites will die off. There aren't any toaster or refrigerator enthusiast sites out there.

We'll be like amateur radio operators in a few years I guess. ;)

At least cars are still cool.

Man all the old sites from the 90's are dying :\

I heard about his son dying in Iraq about a year ago and figured that's why the site was slowing down. Tragic and hope the family all the best.

At least cars are still cool.
Car enthusiasts are working towards extinction as well, albeit more slowly. Young people these days don't care as much about driving, let alone the cars themselves. Getting one's license isn't the big life event it used to be for a lot of kids.

And young men today are as frickin' clueless as any woman (sexist, blah, blah) when it comes to knowing how to do basic automobile maintenance and repair.

We aren't all dead yet. :)
In fact, the newest and most talked about technology in ham radio is Software Defined Radio that combines, wait for it, computers and radios into one hobby.

Instead of a box with knobs you control with mouse and keyboard and watch the entire spectrum on a waterfall display.

But, back on topic. RIP NVnews.

Almost everyone left. Went to Rage3d until there members got unhappy about the influx of Nvida people . So alot of them left. Kind of funny how things happen.

Rage3D has always seemed AMD centric while Guru3D seems Nvidia centric

nV News was very active years ago. It was the place to go to for nVidia driver news and discussions. The site of the past few years was just a shell of its former self. With the site being gone it feels like a part of my past is now gone too.

As computers become more like appliances you never put any thought into, more of these hardware enthusiast sites will die off.

And with the mobile craze still in overdrive, nobody wants desktops anymore. Even laptops are taking second place to tablets and smartphones. People love them, I think they have their uses but completely suck as general computing devices. I was on the busline the other day and overheard a person telling the driver he threw away his laptop since he got his iPhone 6 and iPad stuff. Idiot.

We are truly a dying breed.

If you go to nvnews now and you'll see this - Hello Tygerwoody, Welcome to NVNews.net . Tygerwoody is trying to get this site back up.

I signed up to NVnews when researching the Geforce 2 GTS (to upgrade my VooDoo3 3000) to read up on it's performance. I learned a lot at that site as a pc noob.

I use to go there more than this site! haha.
I'm sad for Mike's wife.

Me too, I used to visit both nvnews and [H] but was I was more a regular in nvnewsforums. Actually I visited more Hypothermia than [H] if only becuase of Asia Carrera :D:D.

Unfortunately some mods (Mike included) were picky to say the least and in time lots of members myself included moved to other forums.

Mike always seemed like a decent guy, and his site had a fair degree of ethics considering it was a fan site. Sorry he had to experience losing his son, and sad to see him pass. RIP.

I remember their lounge section was full of rabid right-wingers. I got banned for constantly calling out hypocritical posts. Good riddance.

He's busy tonight schooling a newbie bugging Paul Johnson o'er in the PSU section.

Fun watching Boss Man Kyle drill the newbies.:D

Man. Unfortunate implications indeed...

XBitlabs looks like it has bit the dust as well as of November

I miss Sharky Extreme

Add MURC to the list.

And remember when web servers would go down when they were "slash-dotted"? Not so much any more. Readership there has really dropped.

Sharky extreme. Those were the PC Gaming heydays :). Back when Quake 2 CTF was king :). And building a bad ass custom gaming PC ruled.

Sadly those days are gone. Most PC games are lame console ports today. And smartphones having taken the expendable income money that people used to spend on upgrading their gaming rig.

Sharky extreme. Those were the PC Gaming heydays :). Back when Quake 2 CTF was king :). And building a bad ass custom gaming PC ruled.

Sadly those days are gone. Most PC games are lame console ports today. And smartphones having taken the expendable income money that people used to spend on upgrading their gaming rig.

I recall, xbitlabs, firingsquad, riva3d, sharkyextreme and lets not forget hypothermia.

Apparently I missed this one. I don't normally cruise the video card section so I'm a bit late to the party. Sad to hear that Mike has passed away.

I'm seeing several familiar names, but also several I don't recognize in this thread. Not sure if some go by different names or just posted before I got there. (I think my join date was 2006).

That place definitely let more things fly than others, although around here stuff can get derailed pretty quickly. Over there it wasn't spiraling arguments but off topic inside jokes that could take over a thread pretty quickly. The Off topic thread was always good for just random nonsense if you needed a stress reliever.

Hopefully tiger can get the site back up. It doesn't really matter if the forums come back up with the old content as most of that was removed a few years ago. I lost well over 10K posts during the purge. I'll just have to watch and see if someone updates this thread as I'd be game to hop in and check it out.

I checked out the site last year and saw it pretty well only had very old news. Sad that Mike had to have his son pass before he did himself.

Was a great site in it's heyday & was my top bookmark before I started lurking here in '02.

Rage3D has always seemed AMD centric while Guru3D seems Nvidia centric

Well Rage started off as an ATI centric fan site so its obvious why they seem AMD centric to you now. Even so, it has watered down much over the years...especially since AMD acquired ATI.

Way back when I first started to dabble with computers in 96/97, my to go website for hardware related news/guides/forums was Tomshardware. To me that was the best Pc hardware site there was back then up until Thomas Pabst sold it. Then it wasn't the same anymore and I finally ended up here and on Rage mostly. Ive been to other sites too like Anand and Beyond3d as well as other popular sites we have today but still stick to HARDOCP and Rage nowadays. Hard for the reviews/hardware news and forums and Rage for the community/forums.

Last edited:
I recall, xbitlabs, firingsquad, riva3d, sharkyextreme and lets not forget hypothermia.

+1 firingsquad, SE, also don't forget stomped, and there was quite a few more old quake based ones that was fun

I actually was a member of nvnews before here but left long ago since it was pretty much dead. Sad to see it go.

Well Rage started off as an ATI centric fan site so its obvious why they seem AMD centric to you now. Even so, it has watered down much over the years...especially since AMD acquired ATI.

Way back when I first started to dabble with computers in 96/97, my to go website for hardware related news/guides/forums was Tomshardware. To me that was the best Pc hardware site there was back then up until Thomas Pabst sold it. Then it wasn't the same anymore and I finally ended up here and on Rage mostly. Ive been to other sites too like Anand and Beyond3d as well as other popular sites we have today but still stick to HARDOCP and Rage nowadays. Hard for the reviews/hardware news and forums and Rage for the community/forums.

To think that once upon a time, Tom's Hardware was THE BEST TECH SITE... by a dentist :D:D

Anyone remember Voodoo Extreme? Billy "Wicked" Wilson ran it for a while before a falling out with the other members. He left and started "Gaming Groove" and then died I believe of kidney failure a couple years later. Voodoo Extreme soldiered on for a few more years before IGN bought them out and closed it.

Anyone remember Voodoo Extreme? Billy "Wicked" Wilson ran it for a while before a falling out with the other members. He left and started "Gaming Groove" and then died I believe of kidney failure a couple years later. Voodoo Extreme soldiered on for a few more years before IGN bought them out and closed it.

Voodoo Extreme was one of my favorites from days gone by. Such great memories of when 3D Accelerators where just changing the way games could look and feel.

I was bored so I browsed my old bookmarks.

I knew that sites like riva3d and sharkyextreme are long gone, but I was kind of surprised that nvnews is no more.

I googled and it turns out Mike Chambers (the owner) died las june 30th and apparently no one was interested in buying the site.

Random bit of trivia. The guy that founded sharkyextreme is now part owner of a well known Porsche shop in california, Sharkwerks.

Don't forget the original maximum pc forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back