NVMe overheating via USB-C

dulcificum

n00b
I have a 2TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD which I want to image my OS onto and replace my existing smaller NVMe.

I'm using a cheap USB-C enclosure to attach the target SSD to the host machine. However, after abut 20-30 mins copying, the temp of the SSD being written to spikes to >80C and it keeps dropping the USB connection and failing the clone.

Is there something wrong with my SSD? Should it be getting this hot? And should I be worried that it keeps cutting off over USB?

Looks like the controller on the SSD is overheating. If you don't want to install a heatsink on it try a fan blowing right on it. Although if it's a drive you wanna use again as a Working drive I wouldn't even deal with it without a heatsink on it.

Looks like the controller on the SSD is overheating. If you don't want to install a heatsink on it try a fan blowing right on it. Although if it's a drive you wanna use again as a Working drive I wouldn't even deal with it without a heatsink on it.
It's for a laptop so a heatsink isn't an option unfortunately.

Yes the laptop will have built in heatsink / cooling if it is m2 capable. Does the USB "thing" you are using have an enclosure or is the NVME drive just chilling out in the air? A link would be useful.

Fronts(2) are very low speed 140mm ,rear single exhaust is up to 3000rpm 140mm that ramps with cpu temp for cooling in DX11 VR sims.😁

Back