Nvidia video + ATI tv tuner? okay? not okay?

Deusfaux

Gawd
I was wondering if any issues arise if someone attempts to install/use an ATI TV tuner (looking at the 650 series PCI-E or USB) when they use Nvidia for their video card.

Like driver battles or something?

Should I be looking at Hauppage instead or something?

My personal opinion would be to go for a Hauppauge or anything else.. but I don't think there would be really a problem using an ATI tuner with a Geforce card.

I have a 8800GTS and the ATi 650 tuner. I plan to return the tuner this weekend. Primary reasons behind it is that the program that ATi provides to record TV is hit or miss. You have to physically enter the date and time when you want it to record. Even though the TV program listings have a button that supposedly allows you to record, it does not work. Secondly, the card tends to get a weak signal which seems to fade in and out, and causes some latency on HD transmissions. However I am not using cable or direct TV so take that with a grain of salt.

The only problem with using an Nvidia video card and an ATI TV tuner is that the ATI TV tuner, frankly, sucks. There are no driver conflicts or anything, if thats what you mean, though.

Driver issues between them are kinda overrated. I used to dual screen with a TNT2 in my AGP slot, and a ATI rage pro in a PCI slot. Never had any kind of weird happenings.

I do agree with the previous two posters. While I've never owned one, I don't normally hear good things about their tuners. You probably want to look elsewhere.

works fine in mine, but the ATI does suck, much slower then the old Hauppauge changing channels.

works fine. no problem. i have ati tv tuner and nvidia 8800 gtx in sli

I had an 8800GT and an HDTV Wonder working fine together, although I was using a third party program called WatchHDTV. I just downloaded the HDTV Wonder drivers and decoder only and I had no driver conflicts.

I'm using an 8800GT and Theater 650 HD combo PCIe card in my system. I'm also using BeyondTV instead of the ATI software. BeyondTV is light years better.

It was because I was able to get a discount on the ATI products - but if they're really that bad maybe I should look at something else?

I'll be moving to a place without a TV for a while, and will have to use my PC for watching comedy/teletoon/discovery/etc

The ATI Theater 650 cards (specifically the HD combo PCIe model) are good:

http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder650/PCIe/index.html

They have two tuners (one for digital and one for analog) instead of one tuner that does both digital and analog. They can do regular cable, OTA digital and OTA analog. If you want PVR functionality check out BeyondTV. There are also free alternatives to BeyondTV that work very well:

GBPVR
http://www.gbpvr.com/index.php

DScaler
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

As I mentioned earlier, I'm using a Theater 650 HD combo PCIe card and the tuners aren't slow like those above mentioned. That may have been true for the Theater 550 cards and even the first 650 cards released, but the models available now are top notch.

Back