NVIDIA Unveils Computer to Drive “Fully Autonomous Robotaxis”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
NVIDIA has unveiled what it says is the world's first artificial intelligence computer system designed to drive fully autonomous robotaxis, and said it plans to make a fleet of autonomous trucks. The company claims the new system, codenamed Pegasus, will handle Level 5 driverless vehicles — vehicles that can be operated entirely by sensors and computers, with no human interaction.

"It is designed for truly level 5 driving," meaning no steering wheel, no gas or brake pedal, NVIDIA automotive senior director said Danny Shapiro on a call with reporters on Monday. NVIDIA said it is working with several companies on developing robotaxis, but Shapiro declined to name them. Pegasus will be available to NVIDIA automotive partners in the second half of 2018. Pricing was not disclosed.

yaaaawwwn

Level 5 driving. On sunny days, on certain roads, in certain conditions, and without the sun in the camera.

If it's like their previous demos, you left out "and cutting corners on every left hand turn."

Level 5 driving? Isn't it called riding when you are not in control? Wtf?

Level 5 driving? Isn't it called riding when you are not in control? Wtf?

I think it's referring to the driving the car is actually doing, but I like Level 5 Riding. (is that a euphemism? :D )

I think it's referring to the driving the car is actually doing, but I like Level 5 Riding. (is that a euphemism? :D )

I get that, but something like "full self-driving" or "fully autonomous" just makes more sense. Level 5 driving sounds like some new way to directly control a car. Level 5 Riding makes more sense and does sound awesomely hilarious :) lol

-Edit- Level 5 Driverless. Reading comprehension fail. I guess that sounds fine. Maybe the marketing people will come up with something cool like Robocar or Johnny Cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter the news story about nVidia I can't help but think that Jen-Hsun Huang needs to find a new jacket....

Oh what a rogue he must be (in his own mind), with his leather jacket... He thinks he is Captain Kirk in Star Trek 3.

1.) Must wear leather jacket when doing something rogue-ish, and maybe appearing slightly bad ass and not following the rules.

Yeah Mr nVidia, we get what you think it means. But it’s not 1984 anymore...

Last edited:
He can afford to just keep wearing that jacket. He could pay all of us enough to tell him how cool he looks in it too. I think he's ok to keep wearing it. :D

He can afford to just keep wearing that jacket. He could pay all of us enough to tell him how cool he looks in it too. I think he's ok to keep wearing it. :D

Nope, I’d still tell him he looks like an old dude trying to look the unconventional retro hero, and is just coming across as a sad joke.

If it's like their previous demos, you left out "and cutting corners on every left hand turn."

See the Gizmodo article on the Cadillac auto-pilot. I've been saying for 2 years that's the only realistic way to do it... inch perfect gps mapping.

With camera's it will never work right in the rain. Heck they are doing construction next to my office, so the road is constantly covered in mud from the dump trucks, my Subaru goes nuts, it can't make out the road markers. Camera's just don't work in most situations(off the maintained interstate). In a car, meh, you can just turn it off. But a fully autonomous fleet of taxi's??? what a terrible investment when it rains/snows/roads that are messed up.

I'd say a good 40% of the roadways in America have faded missing roadway markers all over the place.

When is Fonzie with his cool leather jacket going to jump the shark, I'll watch that.

I find it very interesting that this Pegasus computer will have 2 Volta cores and then two "next generation" GPUs. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-pegasus-ai-level-5-robotaxis,35637.html
The company said it can achieve this level of performance due to a combination of factors including the already announced Xavier SoC, which will include a powerful GPU based on Nvidia’s next-generation graphics technology (the generation following Volta).

Basically, the gaming market is now 2 GENERATIONS behind the architecture for deep-learning/automotive GPUs for NVIDIA. We don't even have Volta yet and the next generation is already being released for cars...

I find it very interesting that this Pegasus computer will have 2 Volta cores and then two "next generation" GPUs.

That was the interesting part of the announcement. AnandTech had some performance guesses that the next gen will offer about 130 TOPS at 220 watts vs. 120 TOPS at 300 watts for Volta. How that will translate into actual perf per watt for gaming cards, who knows.

Hopefully they have some sweet gaming while the trip is underway...

Hopefully they have some sweet gaming while the trip is underway...

Yes. You can play Snakes, Hangman, Tennis (generic version of Pong TM) a couple of number puzzle games, and if you put in a secret code via the buttons on the dash, you can play the original Mario Brothers game. (only Mario and Luigi are replaced with generic characters, and it's called "Plumber Boys")

Yes. You can play Snakes, Hangman, Tennis (generic version of Pong TM) a couple of number puzzle games, and if you put in a secret code via the buttons on the dash, you can play the original Mario Brothers game. (only Mario and Luigi are replaced with generic characters, and it's called "Plumber Boys")

No Minesweeper or Space Cadet pinball? Fuck...

I hope we get 4 fully functioning wheels not just 3.5.

Touche! :D I think this tech looks impressive, but 3.5 jokes still make me giggle a bit. (Have to say, I loved my 970 anyway though. )

Basically, the gaming market is now 2 GENERATIONS behind the architecture for deep-learning/automotive GPUs for NVIDIA. We don't even have Volta yet and the next generation is already being released for cars...

Nvidia announces their embedded market with around a year lead time because the car companies have to have that kind of time to PLAN to integrate these things in models two years later.

We'll have Volta in consumer systems before this ever ships.

And first gen Volta for cars shipped before consumer systems because it's way easier to make a smaller chip and bolt on some generic DDR4 memory. The desktop versions require GDDR6, along with being a much more complex chip to validate.

Back