Nvidia: Too many drivers!

zapian_

Weaksauce
those bastards are out of control...! Just downloaded one (66.77) and the next thing i know they've already release a beta or something (66.93). Cant they just settle for one solid driver per month and just issue hotfix when problems occur, like ATI does!

This is my first Nvidia card, 6800gt, and it's obvious why I bought it instead of X800pro. I've owned ati for years and never once i got confused with their driver release. Catching up with nvidia drivers every week just to get the best out of my vidcard is insane.

Please tell me what the best driver for 6800series as of now. Im sick and tired un-installing/re-installing driver weekly.

-Thanks

NVIDIA hasn't released a driver in a while.

66.93 is the official WHQL'd driver released today.

66.81 was a beta driver released on NZone recently.

The driver that was previous to 66.93 was 61.77 which was released 4 months ago.

Any other drivers you get from other places are LEAKED drivers, not officially released from NVIDIA.

thanks for the quick reply, was looking at their FTP site and didnt notice 66.93 is actually the official release on the website.

zapian_ said:
Cant they just settle for one solid driver per month and just issue hotfix when problems occur, like ATI does!

This is my first Nvidia card, 6800gt, and it's obvious why I bought it instead of X800pro. I've owned ati for years and never once i got confused with their driver release.
-Thanks

My, you kids are brash these days. It's ATi who copied nVidia on the "monthly driver release" business. ATi also copied nVidia in releasing a unified driver architecture. ATi's drivers used to be so difficult to install it was painful. It was like this up to R300, when ATi finally decided to get their act together. (But even then officially disowning previous products, more or less; I remember when they introduced the 4.x series drivers, with every new release, there were more problems created than fixed with my 8500.)

Admittedly, ATi has come a long way, and the fact that R4xx is so similar to R3xx certainly helps them as far as driver maturity goes. And I am disappointed, too, that nVidia has slipped a bit in their driver release schedules. But please don't make such strong statements ("those bastards are out of control...!") when you're not informed enough to do so.

DanK said:
It's ATi who copied nVidia on the "monthly driver release" business. ATi also copied nVidia in releasing a unified driver architecture.

I wouldn't say ATI copied them at all.

ATI inovated with comitting to monthly driver releases with the CATALYST program, and they have followed it.

NVIDIA does not have a monthly driver release plan.

As for a unified driver architecture NVIDIA was not the only one to have this, again I wouldn't say ATI "copied" them. I wouldn't say ATI copied anyone, rather they adopted the practice of having a unified driver architecture.

Well... Better too many drivers than too few drivers to choose from... At least that's what I believe.

People complained when NVidia did not release any drivers, now people are complaining that there are too many driver releases. Damn make up you'lls mind....

darktiger said:
People complained when NVidia did not release any drivers, now people are complaining that there are too many driver releases. Damn make up you'lls mind....

Hello!!! McFly!!! Anyone home? Did you not comprehend what we just all said here or what? All those drivers are LEAKED. LEAKED. L E A K E D! L E A K E D!

Official Drivers have just been released today for the first time in 4 months

OFFICIAL!! AS IN NVIDIA ACTUALLY RELEASED THEM, THEMSELVES. ATI=1 official a month, + an occasional leak.

On contrary to what your Ebonics Teacher has tried to teach you, YOU'LLS isn't short for anything EBONICS or ENGLISH. So, if you post here, please try to look some what educated and post "Damn, make up your minds." Thank you. :)

SnowBeast said:
Hello!!! McFly!!! Anyone home? Did you not comprehend what we just all said here or what? All those drivers are LEAKED. LEAKED. L E A K E D! L E A K E D!

OFFICIAL!! AS IN NVIDIA ACTUALLY RELEASED THEM, THEMSELVES. ATI=1 official a month, + an occasional leak.

On contrary to what your Ebonics Teacher has tried to teach you, YOU'LLS isn't short for anything EBONICS or ENGLISH. So, if you post here, please try to look some what educated and post "Damn, make up your minds." Thank you. :)

Before you go about critizing someone you should inform yourself [though you get props for the BttF quote]. Nvidia DID indeed release some of the drivers between 61.77 and 66.93. Not ALL of them [about half were indeed 'leaked'], but a grip of them were released to developers and NVZone among other places [and a few of them were indeed WHQL and not BETAs like 65.73 and 66.81]. I prefer Nvidia's erratic driver schedule over ATIs system...I like waking up to a new driver. Just think, would you like to wake up with the same women or a different women every day. Domesticated Men don't get to answer that. :p

But please don't make such strong statements ("those bastards are out of control...!") when you're not informed enough to do so.
Sorry if i touched your sensitive side, but out of frustration and trying to play a game decent enough with a dollar well spent, i dont care.

This latest release fixed the problem that i had playing MOH:pA so i guess no more betas for me, for now. :)

It could be worse.. Nvidia could post driver updates at the same rate Creative LAb does.... ;)

SnowBeast said:

OWNED!!! :D

On contrary to what your Ebonics Teacher has tried to teach you, YOU'LLS isn't short for anything EBONICS or ENGLISH. So, if you post here, please try to look some what educated and post "Damn, make up your minds." Thank you.

So you are saying if I post here or anywhere in this forum I have to be educated and pronounce/spell all my words correctly. I bet mostly everyone on this forum does not do that, especially the ones that try to speak leet. In fact I beat that I am more educated than you since you started with the personnel attacks... :)

AS IN NVIDIA ACTUALLY RELEASED THEM, THEMSELVES.
As oppose to who, me releasing them. I think Nvidia release beta's quite frequently.

ATI=1 official a month
ATI has skipped some months...

as always things like this turn into a slug fest...

...I wonder what the average [H] Forum user age is...somewhere around 12 I would guess. :(

Personally I would rather have a plethora of drivers to choose from so that I can try out different ones as necessary. After all...if you're on the [H], chances are that you like to tweak your system and fine tune it to your specs. Part of the process would be changing drivers around and seeing which ones are the most stable in your own rig as well as giving you that performance edge.

darktiger said:
ATI has skipped some months...

Not w/their CATALYST drivers. They've been consistant, w/an official driver, once a month. I haven't seen any monthly skips yet, at least since I've owned my ATI 9800Pro, which has now been well over a year and a half.

SnowBeast said:

damn, can you people please use larger fonts...i cant even read that crap

#1 - you don't need to have perfect grammar or punctuation when posting in a forum but gross errors (such as wrong word usage or ebonics) are annoying to many people.

#2 - Nvidia didnt hasn't released anything except for some drivers with review cards. But those were not meant for public consumption. Card manucturers shipped some drivers with various GF 6 series cards, though Nvidia did not technically release those either. So all of those drivers that are out there are either a.) leaked b.) preview/beta test drivers c.) from card manufacturers, like Leadtek, etc.

#3 - This is the first new driver in 4 months and it was 3-4 months before that, that we had an official release. Nvidia usually releases new drivers about 4 times a year.

I, for one, am very happy with the newest 66.93 release. I have tried all drivers released in the past six months, both beta and official, and this driver simply rules. I can run all of nVidia's demos with excellent framerates including Nalu without a hitch when it comes time to show off that $600 Ultra to those who wish to see what this system is capable of. DOOM3 no longer has that annoying sometimes stutter/sometimes reboot problem when loading a saved game or entering a new level. Rome: Total War runs wonderfully, as does FarCry. Overall, a very solid release. Bravo, nVidia for making all the things I want to run do so without any annoying problems. (so far) :D

I can't believe I am reading this. There is somebody who is actually complaining that Nvidia makes too many bug/performance fixes. I wish ATI would make weekly driver fixes :p The average is 60 days after gameday before we get a fix :p

Back