Nvidia To License Its GPU Technology

Seriously, I am not a fanboy by any means, but Nvidia is clearly the better choice atm. Didn't Kyle and them do a review of a 670 vs 7970 and the 670 beat it in almost every test? Found it.

I have been looking at a 770, but I have to have a Nvidia card since I primarily live on Linux.

Not in the ultra mobile world. They have a hard time getting adoption outside of tablets, even the tablets holding their hardware are struggling to do the same. Until the Tegra3 they were literally no where with the Tegra and Tegra2.

The Tegra4 is taking its sweet time showing up as well, although recently released its expected hardware configurations isn't that impressive and its still arguably still behind the times in support. Hopefully they get on the right track with the newer Tegra that is supposed to include Kepler technology but then again, thats next year and Qualcomm is quickly leaving everyone behind.

The 7970 wasn't cheaper for quite awhile later, and even then it took pre-oc'd cards to beat the GTX 680 finally ("ghz edition") which cost roughly the same again initially. The 770 has now replaced the 680, so I'm not sure why you refer to the 680 "being more" when the 770 is actually lower MSRP than the 7970 while being faster again now. Add in better drivers overall, more features (physx, txaa, driver-level ssao), working multi-card support (stutter-fest CrossFire = no!, slow driver updates for games for CrossFire = no!) and it's little wonder the GTX 670 alone sold more than the Radeon 7970 and 7950 combined (in fact I think around double from the older Steam Survey stats trends). Radeons are viewed as budget products now, not premium offerings for obvious reasons. That's unfortunate and hopefully will change back around soon because more competition = better cards at lower prices for consumers :D.

nvidia doesn't have better drivers, that's some consistent bullshit spewed forth on forums. both of them fuck up drivers quite often.

I don't really care one way or the other, I just hate when I see someone say something postive about AMD( the GO RED comment) and people line up to spew negativity. Being positive about AMD doesn't mean people need to chime in about how shitty AMD is.

AMD has been really good to me, I see no reason to bash them.

Here, let me do [H] a favor with some actual journalism adding some substance and facts to this regurgitated headline.

As AMD and Intel continue to pursue platform solutions and integrated CPUs, we may not be able to successfully compete and our business could be negatively impacted. Despite the use of these integrated CPUs, personal computer, or PC, builders and consumers have continued to embrace discrete GPUs to provide higher performance, or the GPU attach rate. If integrated CPUs offer a more compelling value proposition in the future, our GPU attach rate could decrease, which could adversely affect our business and cause our financial results to decline.
Nvidia's days of relying on discrete GPUs (a quickly shrinking market) are coming to an end compounded by the fact that they have nothing to compete with APUs and Tegra has just likely received it's final deathblow in the form of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800. Ouya and Shield are products with a limited lifespan because they are nothing more than dumping grounds for all that Tegra silicon no one wanted to buy from them.

Jesus Christ, Intel has been licensing x86 technology for more than a decade now. I wonder how people felt about that then. I don't think Nvidia is in any trouble whatsoever, what I do think is that they are making a smart move here in the form of getting their technology in the hands of more hardware partners. Who knows where this can lead. Maybe now their technology could end up inside of an APU. Hell maybe now intel will license the technology and leave amd chewing shit.

and for the record anybody worth their salt knows that in video kicks AMD's ass in the discrete video card market, I personally have used both brands throughout the years owned a 7970 and a GTX 680, the 7970 went straight back to Newegg and the 680 sits in my rig currently. AMD's products are competitive and they are decent cards but Nvidia does consistently beat them out in the areas of drivers and performance. Even if its only five to ten percent they still are in the lead and overall have been since the introduction of the 200 series.

Back