Nvidia to kill off FX 5900XT

apainttown

n00b
Get it while you can

By Fuad Abazovic: Monday 05 April 2004, 08:40
INDUSTRY SOURCES tell us that the Geforce FX 5900XT won't last much longer. Even there is huge demand for these extremely good cards, Nvidia feels the product's popularity is affecting its FX5700 sales badly.

The main goal of the 5900XT was to hurt ATI sales of Radeon 9600XT with HL2 voucher and I guess it partly succeeded in doing that, but at a cost, at a cost.

Now when many partners are ready to ship FX5700 Ultra with GDDR 3 memory clocked a few MHz faster and running with less power, someone has decided that it's time to reintroduce its FX5700 Ultra cards.

You cannot have FX5700 Ultra GDDR3 /2 and FX5900XT on the market at the same time since FX5900XT is based on much faster and stronger NV38 core while the FX5700 regardless of memory is always based on the IBM produced NV36 core.

If you want a good card for less than 200 $, € or ₤, I guess this is the beast you can get but Sapphire has a hot deal where you can buy Sapphire 9800SE All-In-Wonder Gold Edition card at the same price range - €189 and with omega drivers this card is very competitive to the FX5900XT.

From a user's perspective, things could not be better since you can get very nice hardware and it's powered with high end chip, just clocked lower. What else do you want? A holiday on a tropical island? µ

the Inquirer

as was said in the post about the outrageous 3dmark '03 thread, not everything from the inq is bs. its completely understandable what nvidia would be doing with the 5900xt

Yeah who the hell would buy anything from Nvidia above a 5900XT ? O/Cd it has what 90% of the performance of a 5950 for half the price ? It makes perfect sense they are discontinuing it.

That would be sort of stupid of them. They should stop making the 5700 ultra not the 5900XT. They made it to be able to beat the ATI 9600XT and it does just that. It also comes close to the ATI 9800, 9800PRO and even the 9800XT when overclocked and the 9800XT when the 9800PRO and 9800XT are at stock speeds. The 5900XT is todays Ti4200 as it is about the best overclocker for the money.
Some companies even put better ram on it and it can compete with 9800XT and 5950 while they are overclocked.
From what I can see online they are selling like hotcakes as more and more people are picking them up. Stopping making them would be a BIG sales lose to them and I do not see them being that stupid. They have to know they have a money making thing here and anyone should be able to see that. As long as they keep it priced under the ATI cards (The 9800 pro 9800XT cards that is) it will sell well for them.
That is my opinion on it anyway not that it rally matters lol.

It does kind of make sence because it takes money from both the 5700 and the 5900 Ultra (does anyone remember this card?).

Originally posted by Jondbold
bullshit its from the inq
And of course the inq is never right. Well except for the whole prescott thing. Go through their history and you'll see the majority of them were correct or very close.

Well, the inq isnt always right so i consider it a rumor mill. Not in a bad way. They are very right alot. They go out on a limb and can obviously then be wrong. They are way to close, way to often to dismiss everything. In fact, I'd even venture to say they dont really make stuff up for hits. Just mistakes sometimes. When the word of mouth does them wrong they often post retractions quite promptly like this one:

http://www.inquirerinside.com/?article=15204

If there is any reason to not post it, it is we all read it except for those that will just flame that you read it from there. Actually, nah.... they read it too. ;)

is the 5900xt more expensive to produce? if it is, then nvidia might be right

inq sucks..stop posting their thoughts.....it only makes you look dumb....

if what you're trying to say is 'nvidia wouldn't make a move like that' then just say that. read the rest of the thread, maybe you'll rethink your opinion on inq. speaking of which, http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15204

inq saying that the article on which this thread is based was confirmed by nvidia to be false. yes the inq was wrong, but thats not always the case

Originally posted by zoltan
inq sucks..stop posting their thoughts.....it only makes you look dumb....

Repeating what has been mentioned 5 times in this thread alone also makes you look dumb. :rolleyes:

if the 5700 is cheaper to produce this makes perfect sense from a business stand point ... why compete against themselves ...

Originally posted by Bodega
as was said in the post about the outrageous 3dmark '03 thread, not everything from the inq is bs. its completely understandable what nvidia would be doing with the 5900xt

thats what i thought too, if there making as much as there losing, its not worth it

It really doesn't make perfect sense to me to kill off the 5900XT because that will leave people in the market for a midrange card with a choice of 5700ultra or higher performing 9800pro for around the same price. This seems like it will only work for people dead set on Nvidia cards..

Back