Nvidia to host 1st Vulkan Dev conference

Given that Vulkan is an evolution of mantle I doubt AMD will 'meekly follow'. That said, I hope this is nvidia embracing open standards and if so I think it's a great turn.

Given that Vulkan is an evolution of mantle I doubt AMD will 'meekly follow'. That said, I hope this is nvidia embracing open standards and if so I think it's a great turn.

it's kinda one of those things where it would be dumb for nvidia not to support it. they already woop AMD's ass as far as linux drivers go and if Vulkan is successful linux is still a big enough market for them anyways. but i wouldn't hold my breath as far as open standards go with nvidia.

as far as AMD following, it's a little hard when you're the company putting all the time and energy into getting vulkan to market.. but nvidia getting on board with vulkan publicly will definitely help push it along faster and get better traction. although i still feel Nvidia is only now doing this because it's no longer "just an AMD product" since AMD open sourced it and handed it over to Khronos Group.

Last edited:
it's kinda one of those things where it would be dumb for nvidia not to support it. they already woop AMD's ass as far as linux drivers go and if Vulkan is successful linux is still a big enough market for them anyways. but i wouldn't hold my breath as far as open standards go with nvidia.

as far as AMD following, it's a little hard when you're the company putting all the time and energy into getting vulkan to market.. but nvidia getting on board with vulkan publicly will definitely help push it along faster and get better traction. although i still feel Nvidia is only now doing this because it's no longer "just an AMD product" since AMD open sourced it and handed it over to Khronos Group.

Nvidia has Tegra, remember? It's not like they can afford to not be involved.

With Google adopting Vulkan for Android, Nvidia really must accept it at least for their mobile devices. Not supporting 80% of the current market isn't a great business plan. It likely becomes the foundation for most linux games as well. Even then, it's still similar to DX12 and likely shares a lot of code.

This will have a strong Tegra/Android focus, that's easily the biggest driving force behind it.

Back