Nvidia Titan V

If I ordered that thing my butt would hurt good to see they are still in stock but going to see what Ampere does.

EKWB announces full cover water block for Titan V.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-releasing-water-blocks-powerful-pc-gpu/

Will begin shipping March 5 for preorders. It includes a single slot bracket. The block is €129.95 with VAT and the back plate is €39.95.

upload_2018-2-26_11-53-46.png

upload_2018-2-26_11-54-17.png

upload_2018-2-26_11-54-43.png

can't help it, Vega just doesn't have optimized software for it..... I'm sure if AMD was able to do with Open Cl that nV did with Cuda, they would be much closer and beating GP100 in some tests.
If there no software being made for it then it is a door stop. Doesn't matter if it could rival a Titian V if properly supported cause it not and never will be.

If there no software being made for it then it is a door stop. Doesn't matter if it could rival a Titian V if properly supported cause it not and never will be.

That is true, and a major hurdle for AMD, no one but them has to support their hardware through software, its exactly what nV did with CUDA and their cards, they went and spent money to do the work necessary to create the AI market.

can't help it, Vega just doesn't have optimized software for it..... I'm sure if AMD was able to do with Open Cl that nV did with Cuda, they would be much closer and beating GP100 in some tests.

I think anyone that is on board with tensor knows the value of highly programmable single action compute hardware, and it's scale-ability long-term. It won't be long before AMD reacts with something more focused in their professional gpu lines in the future.

Honestly I'd really just love it if AMD/RTG started to reinvest some of this crypto hardware windfall back into their programmer/driver/software teams in the very near future. As hardware like Tensor becomes more specific, helping clients leverage that raw power will be pivitol in delivering a competetive product with so many hardware companies dumping tons of cash into R/D for ai and deep learning solutions.

it won't be in the near future, they have a lack of engineering talent ATM, they must fix that first, then it takes time for those new guys to get acquainted with AMD and their architectures, then they can make a change on AMD's direction, we are talking 3+ years minimum.

I don't see AMD having a pray of a chance in AI and DL, they don't have the money to work on chips right now, let alone software...... if Intel has a tough road ahead to go against nV, AMD has no chance right now.

Vega has the muscle to compete with Pascal in compute tasks, but it can't compete with Volta, and it can't compete with Pascal let alone Volta in perf/watt. They need to fix perf/watt first before they start going to more performance, otherwise its going to be the same thing over and over. Software is right now not an option AMD can focus on (not enough money, well resources in general), which is what is hold back Vega in compute.

What I see is AMD pooling resources for a couple of gens to make their hardware competitive but that still leaves software out of the loop. Its a battle they just can't win in the short or mid term, its going to be long term talking 10 + years before they can do anything meaningful if even then.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if AMD will get split up, then- CPU division eaten by Nvidia, GPU eaten by Intel?

It would give both of the larger, more competitive companies what they want...

[cue fanatical hysterics from Team Red/Green]

Nullifies the x86 license.

It does nullify but it also, renegotiates, both the x86 and x64 cross license.

Anycase don't think Intel needs AMD's GPU division lol, they have all the same tech outside of the GPU cores, once they get that, they should be able to compete with AMD

Anycase don't think Intel needs AMD's GPU division lol, they have all the same tech outside of the GPU cores, once they get that, they should be able to compete with AMD

I don't really think that they need AMD's GPU division- but the patents and the branding would certainly be useful.

Yep I was correct all threads are independent, along with instructions, everything is split apart in Volta.

If anyone watches the full video currently compute performance V100 vs P100, V100 with its lower clocks and using less power is 50% out of the box, with the same code as P100.

I was also correct with Eth mining and Volta, even though it has the same bandwidth as P100, Volta (Titan V) can mine faster because they optimized bandwidth through put with Volta. (although I thought it was compression lol). I don't expect to see this kind of performance increase in mining with bandwidth limited coins with Volta's gaming cards.

Here is what I mean about the resources AMD needs to compete with against nV in DL and HPC (as Intel does too). This is not an easy or even moderately hard task by any means, its a very difficult task.

BTW Phil Rogers was the lead for HSA/HPC (corporate fellow) for AMD before he went over to nV.

Last edited:
Back