NVIDIA Technology Powers New Nintendo Switch

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards. Nintendo SwitchThe Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering. We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency. NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.

That explains the $300 price point. Modular and hand held with nvidia tech, which isn't cheap. Basically Nintendo looks like they are making a super duper game boy with the power of a console in your hands so you can take it with you.

That explains the $300 price point. Modular and hand held with nvidia tech, which isn't cheap. Basically Nintendo looks like they are making a super duper game boy with the power of a console in your hands so you can take it with you.
Yep this, except it's also able to do multi-player off of 1 super Gameboy console so that's cool. And if it allows us to access all our purchased materials from the wii u / wii store to play on it it will be a huge win. At least in my book.

This falls into the "Buy" category for my family. Big Zelda and Splatoon fans.

is the new chipset (1080 etc) or tegra/mobile?

Leaks said Tegra X2, not like that chip will be shown to the public any time soon after Nvidia won this deal with Nintendo includding the scrap of Shield 2 plans.

In any case if the leaks are to be believed the Tegra X2 should be 50% faster than the X1 at the same power consumption. There is as much chance of this being true as anything else, but so far those leaks even gave away the final controller configuration and the like that i couldn't believe at first.

50% more than X1 may not seem amazing to some people here, but for a handheld, that is really impressive IMHO. And yes, it will be the best hardware Nintendo has had for original releases over the iPhone 7 apparently ;) hehehe

I'd buy it as well. I have a lot of games on the Wii store I'd like to play again.

Yeah yeah, I know, Skyrim is kinda old, but I still think its pretty sick that its running on a portable. Didn't look half bad either....

nintendo_switch_partners.jpg

Also, is that "From Software" that I see??? :D

Last edited:
Back