NVIDIA tech conference: CUDA-x86

SazanEyes

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - January 2011
Some interesting announcements from NVIDIA today. There's the new GPU roadmap, and also the news of CUDA-x86 which allows CUDA apps to run on CPUs.

I'm curious to see what the performance of F@H CUDA WUs would be like on a CPU. It seems like GPUs would be a lot faster, but if WUs are rewritten to take advantage of the different capabilities of a CPU, it might mean GPU performance would drop off. Of course, this could just be a ploy to get devs to buy into using CUDA because it's technically no longer locked into running on one company's products. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Some interesting announcements from NVIDIA today. There's the new GPU roadmap, and also the news of CUDA-x86 which allows CUDA apps to run on CPUs.

I'm curious to see what the performance of F@H CUDA WUs would be like on a CPU. It seems like GPUs would be a lot faster, but if WUs are rewritten to take advantage of the different capabilities of a CPU, it might mean GPU performance would drop off. Of course, this could just be a ploy to get devs to buy into using CUDA because it's technically no longer locked into running on one company's products. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

great so now nvidia put a brand name on cpu acceleration.. its not going to be any different.. the reason cuda was created is because its faster then a cpu at specific things.. so big deal a cuda app runs on the cpu.. right back to square one.. nothing new just another brand name on something that already existed.. i mean hell what is it suppose to do make a cpu run 1000 times faster because its a cuda app.. im not holding my breath on this and there really arent any cuda only applications.. PS CS5 cuda support renders just fine on any cpu, AutoCad cuda support renders just fine on a cpu.. unless nvidia expects companies to build applications completely based on cuda and nothing else which i highly doubts going to happen.. I'm not holding my breath on this at all..

Last edited:
Could bridge the gap and allow software to utilize both the CPU and GPU concurrently.

Back