• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nvidia tapes out G70 silicon

Hate_Bot said:
looks cool, I hope to see some specs.

what does tapes mean btw?

I dont know exactly what it means, but from my understanding it means they have completed the design of it, and have made their first chip, or are ready to start making them.
 
what a pos article. not useful info what-so-ever. looks like site hit fodder to me.
 
Hate_Bot said:
looks cool, I hope to see some specs.

what does tapes mean btw?

It's given up, like in Wrestling.

No, sorry, that's "Taps out".

It means the design of the chip is finalised and is ready for manufacturing.

It used to refer to the fact that the design of the chip was stored on magnetic tape to be read by the machines making the chip.

I don't know if that's how it's still done, but the phrase stuck.

Like "Going Gold" for software refers to the gold master disc that is sent of for mass duplication (whether the actual disk is gold or not).
 
I don't really care about all of these new cards. They are great to imagine and see tested but really, I can't afford a new card now, let alone the next gen cards. Video cards are way over priced for me. :rolleyes: My ol' Ti4600 is still pumping out the games that I play most often at a pretty good res anyways.

I was thinking about splurging for a 6600GT, but with these newer GPU's being announced it's probably a bad time...they will probably be cheaper in a few weeks. (I hope)
 
This just in! First schematics of the G70 in action!!!! You should see the SLI version!!!!

FG26_09a.JPG
 
Eh, that diagram really makes me think nVidia's design will sux0rrr compared to ATI's 1337ness. With all the bandwidth going through those pipes, the frequency of rod insertion is terribly low. :D
 
Hate_Bot said:
looks cool, I hope to see some specs.

what does tapes mean btw?

2000 posts since january and you don't know what "taped out" means?

maybe you should read more and post less...
 
Nice job Empty you just flamed a flame free topic!
I hope you feel like an asshole since you just acted like one!
Any ways I am very curious about Nvidias next gen card since the 6x00 series was a very nice suprise to everyone here I hope that they can pull the same thing off with the G70 or G80 or whatever its called. I also hope that Atis card is faster since I hate installing new Drivers! ;)
 
Please...keep this informative thread stays clean. Take your fking flame thrower attitude out of this forum....I'm sick and tired with this..and it always end up like this almost all the time... :(...If some of you dont have anything positive to post then stay put, otherwise cut your frikin fingers so you cant type (any stupid comment) :mad: :mad: .
 
centvalny said:
Please...keep this informative thread stays clean. Take your fking flame thrower attitude out of this forum....I'm sick and tired with this..and it always end up like this almost all the time... :(...If some of you dont have anything positive to post then stay put, otherwise cut your frikin fingers so you cant type (any stupid comment) :mad: :mad: .

i do understand what you mean, however, as (cf)Eclipse already stated - this thread is a) a repost, b) it has been discussed multiple times before and c) there is no facts to discuss in the first place, really. i think this is why some of the older members don't take this seriously and make fun about it. but hey, this wasn't really much of a flame-thread either, was it? all in good fun so far AFAIK.
sorry for getting off topic though...
 
@wizzackr, I'm sorry, I didnt post my comment @ you. It hapened in a lot of threads on this forum, especially when its XXX versus XXX thread.
 
Perhaps becuse disscussing unreleased hardware, where no one has a clue about the ACTUAL preformance is stupid? :)

Terracide - I will take my position when the hardware is avaiable for purchase...WITH adaqute BENCHMARKS...
 
Erasmus354 said:
I dont know exactly what it means, but from my understanding it means they have completed the design of it, and have made their first chip, or are ready to start making them.

Isn't that called a white paper? :confused: This is the first time i've heard of the phrase "Taped Out"
 
Sly said:
Isn't that called a white paper? :confused: This is the first time i've heard of the phrase "Taped Out"

No, the "Tape" contains the complete schematic for the final IC, it is/was basically high end CAD output that can be put into the computers governing the actual machines that manufacture the ICs.
More generically the term has come to simply mean that the chip is finished.

The phrase has certainly been the standard term for IC design completion for as long as I have been aware of such things (about a decade), and I was under the impression that it has been since computers were first used to design chips (i.e, pretty much the beginning).

The 4-8 month delay between when a chip is "Taped out" and when it winds up in a form that you can buy is taken up with (in not entirely accurate order) fab process planning, equipment re-tooling, testing, manufacturing and distribution, thirdparty product design and testing and various marketing and business processes.
 
I just tried to start an informative topic without any affiliation to either nVidia or ATI, because we both know they are both solid. And the other post does not have any information about G70 being taped out btw.

I'm just trying to quell the rumors that nVidia will not have a competing product for the R520. That just doesn't make sense. There has never been a generation where the competing products weren't at most 3 months away.

The rumors about nVidia canceling future products and skipping to the G70 really have my interests peaked. Could this be some miraculous powerhouse?
 
Back
Top