NVIDIA Taking SHIELD Pre-Orders Soon

Some people want these things to be cheaper (who doesn't). But I think the $350 price is actually a pretty good deal considering the hardware we are getting. I was fearful we might see something like $500.

5 inch 1280x720 touch display
Tegra 4 quad core A15 processor
16GB storage
Stock Android 4.2
802.11n 2x2 MiMO wifi
Nice stereo speakers
mini HDMI output
micro SD

Dual analog sticks
D-Pad
9 other buttons, 2 triggers, 2 bumpers

You guys that wanted something cheaper. This is what $200 gets you, look at the Archos GamePad.

A 7 inch 1024x600 display (not sure if it's even IPS, not likely from Archos)
Dual core A9 processor (something from 2011)
8GB of storage
Android 4.1
wi-fi
tiny speakers poorly located
mini HDMI
micro SD

Tiny dual analog sticks
buttons awkwardly position directly above the analog sticks

I'm totally okay with spending an extra $150 on something that is done right. MUCH more processing power, MUCH better game controls, and it can stream, granted select, PC games from my PC. I'm really excited about being able to try this out. It's still "beta" as Nvidia website warns us. But I see a few games I already own there.

I have an iPad 4 and some Android tablets. They are great for Angry Birds, but some iOS and Android games I just don't bother playing because using the virtual joy stick to move around really sucks for me. So I can also see myself playing a lot of mobile games I never had the patience for with this. So yeah, I'm really excited to get this.

I can't think of a time when I'd want to pay more money for the "privilege" of playing a limited selection of games I already own on a smaller screen, still being required to be in the same house, and most likely with a crappier controller compared to DualShock 3 or 360 controller.

Maybe if the screen is detachable and it can make phone calls so I can consolidate devices, but that's not going to happen.

what terminal software works with 3d games?
Not really sure as I cannot remember what my brother said he users. I did see Crysis being played on an smartphone and tablet via streaming from a PC. I think he used the Splashtop app which works as a full remote desktop with a wireless Xbox controller.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/games/how-to-stream-pc-games-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-android/

All for the price of a wireless Xbox controller and $4.99 app.

Then there is that Onlive thing but that’s a little different. Either way it seems like a far better setup then the shield. You have more graphics power, more options and most people already have a smartphone.

Saw a working model of it at PAX 2013, wasn't terribly impressed.

It's quite bulky considering what it is, and there weren't many titles on it.

If it was a straight up android device that you could run anything on (like a better version of the Xperia Play) then I might see it as usable for something, buuuut no.

$350? Hell no.

Splashtop works but not well...
30fps and you have a limited range with a wireless 360 controller. Video quality can be sub par at times.

I think most of the target audience is not on these forums. I'm still looking forward to it. Saves me from having to build an HTPC that wouldn't cut it in the graphics department at this price, and dragging one of my portable rigs downstairs to play for a few hours.

350! Are they insane? Did they even focus group test this thing or are they trying to minimize hardware cost losses.

From what I've heard, apparently you cannot use the remote desktop part of it unless your running an Nvidia video card...truth?

Truth, and it has to be a 660+ above, and then you cant use your desktop when you use the shield, THEN shield only support like 3-4 games or something?

Not worth $350 at all

Judging by the $350 selling price, it's obvious nVidia thinks of this thing as a console, strangely enough. I cannot see it offering the slightest competition to the PS4/xBox.

Ehh you're absolutely right with that. If I had $350 burning a hole in my pocket, I would rather use it to buy a PS4/NeXtBox rather than something so gimmicky.

It might be an Android device but it has all sorts of strange limitations like being unable to run any app that runs in portrait mode. You can only run landscape apps.

Lol... This made me laugh...

All those strange limitations are why phone manufacturers do not like nvidia this round and why nvidia had to get creative and make something with their chips with little-to-no-design-wins, many phone manufacturers got burned...

Truth, and it has to be a 660+ above, and then you cant use your desktop when you use the shield, THEN shield only support like 3-4 games or something?

Not worth $350 at all

650Ti and above

Back