Nvidia Surround

dook43

2[H]4U
Stupid question that nobody knows the answer to: Since this is done in software and thusly can be extended to GT200 cards, will there be a possibility of using a second underpowered card + 480 to drive the third display?

"Supposedly" from what Ive read,it only works in SLI ,because one card will drive 2 monitors,and the second card will drive the third monitor.

Dont know if that's what you were asking though:p

i think he was asking if you could pair the gtx480 with a gtx260/275/285 and have nvidia surround working.

rather than buying 2 480s.......

From what I understand its SLI only so that would mean two of the same card. The driver should be available soon.

"Supposedly" from what Ive read,it only works in SLI ,because one card will drive 2 monitors,and the second card will drive the third monitor.

Dont know if that's what you were asking though:p

That's actually what I was wondering, I've seen almost no details to the actual implementation except that 'one card drives 2 monitors and the other card drives the 3rd'. Does that mean one card handles all the frames for 2 monitors (3840x1080) while the 2nd card handles the frames for the 3rd (1920x1080), in a sort of SFR method of SLI?

If that's the case the performance will be dismal, since SFR isn't as fast as AFR to begin with, and 1 card will be handling 2x the resolution of the other card meaning you'll get half the performance from both since they have to sync up.

Or does it just mean that one card handles the output to 2 monitors, using frame buffer copies over the SLI link and AFR to driver the monitors? This method seems to make the most sense, but how well does SLI handle sending frame buffer data both directions so each card has its portion of the rendered frame for the monitors?

Back