NVIDIA surround question

Andantie

n00b
Decided to upgrade to the 660 Ti from my 5850 but need to know if surround supports 3 monitor extended the same way eyefinity does.

For example, my setup is currently:

1920x1200 (DVI)- 1920x1200 (DisplayPort)- 1920x1200 (DVI)

I want to continue to run it this way Instead of a single resolution of 5760x1200, does it give me this option with NVIDIA?

Shouldn't be a problem. At that point you're not actually running eyefinity or surround. You're just running a standard 3 monitor setup.

The only way you would get a 5760x1200 res setup is if you go into nvidia control panel and setup surround.

Shouldn't be a problem. At that point you're not actually running eyefinity or surround. You're just running a standard 3 monitor setup.

The only way you would get a 5760x1200 res setup is if you go into nvidia control panel and setup surround.

I figured it should work, I just wasn't sure if the 3rd monitor wouldn't activate or turn on until I enabled surround.

It will work as the 660ti was made to run surround. The only catch is, what do you consider playable?
You won't get much fps out of it. If you consider 30fps good on some games, you might be okay.

Ito, The OP doesnt want to play games in Surround. He just wants to run a normal 3 monitor setup.

Andantie- I don't think you will have any problems. I have to do the same think with my 590 (maybe a bit different since it's dual gpu) sometimes for games that don't work in Surround. I just have to tell windows to enable all monitors in the screen resolution area.

NV Surround actually doesn't do bezel correction on the desktop and allows you to move the taskbar to the monitor of your choice. Basically it works the same way the system would not setting up NV Surround, the only difference being that you can have access to the custom resolution in games. Even then you don't have to use it. The single monitor resolution of 1920x1200 or whatever in your case would work fine. In other words, either way you'll be fine.

just wish it was more random monitor friendly, that's the only thing I'm missing about switching from ATI/AMD and my 7970.....

Of course U2412M-U3011-U2412M was never optimal in the first place, but at least I got to play around with eyefinity. I guess this will force me to get two more U3011's, I'm just afraid of turning my home office into a furnace :\ so much heat, wish they were LED backlit :\

For the nVidia setup, do you need special ACTIVE cables like ATI/AMD does? I'm currently using ATI/AMD 6870, so I do have the ACTIVE displayport cable, but is nVidia's different? I'm wanting to upgrade to a 670 in the future, but just curious to see if there are any differences in requirement.

For the nVidia setup, do you need special ACTIVE cables like ATI/AMD does? I'm currently using ATI/AMD 6870, so I do have the ACTIVE displayport cable, but is nVidia's different? I'm wanting to upgrade to a 670 in the future, but just curious to see if there are any differences in requirement.

It depends on the size and resolution of the monitors. NVIDIA's solution typically uses two dual-link DVI ports so if your using DVI you don't need anything special at all. I'm running all my monitors on DVI cables and there are no adapters needed. If you go displayport, which the GTX 680 only has one of, then yeah you'd probably need an active-display port cable of some sort. HDMI is probably the same deal. I don't know I've never tried to use either of them.

It depends on the size and resolution of the monitors. NVIDIA's solution typically uses two dual-link DVI ports so if your using DVI you don't need anything special at all. I'm running all my monitors on DVI cables and there are no adapters needed. If you go displayport, which the GTX 680 only has one of, then yeah you'd probably need an active-display port cable of some sort. HDMI is probably the same deal. I don't know I've never tried to use either of them.

Oh forgot to mention it is for 3 monitors. On my 6870, I use 3 monitors @ 1080. So I use DVI->DVI + HDMI->DP + HDMI->DVI with one of them being Active adapters.

Oh forgot to mention it is for 3 monitors. On my 6870, I use 3 monitors @ 1080. So I use DVI->DVI + HDMI->DP + HDMI->DVI with one of them being Active adapters.

You'll need active adapters, but you won't need the dreaded active dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters which are a serious pain in the ass.

I also have 3x 3007WFP-HC and a GTX 680. I've been doing a lot of research on this, and I thought I needed to get an active displayport to Dual Link DVI? I know you have SLI, but I thought that only allowed you to use the 2 DVI ports on one card, not both?

Back