nVidia SLI Multi-GPU Technology

i realy think that this tecknology will really take off in about a year or 2

Yeah, a year or so should be about right. I'd look to something like it for my next rig; dual 16x PCI-E slots, and a single PCI-E videocard. Then, when I need more performance later on, buy another of the same graphics card (which by that time will be pretty cheap). I don't see anything wrong with this.

where do you get the SLI connector? tried google and check evga and bfg, nothing :(

I'm going to sit on my AXP and 9800 Pro until dual PCI-E for the A64 and high end cards with SLI are available. Then it will be time to upgrade. I'm guessing I will have to shell out around $1500 since I already have a gig of 3200 and a couple raptors.

It will be nice to see what SLI can really do. Hopefully some reviews will surface before the year's end.

I think SLI would be an awesome thing, even if not for everyone. I really like the idea of buying a nice video card now ($300 to $500) and maybe a year or two down the road adding a second one in as games require more horsepower. By then the $300 to $500 video card will be half price at least. Would save from having to move up to a new platform if the money wasn't there.. Heh plus I have a soft spot in my heart for SLI anyways, I still have an Obsidian x24 sitting in a box in my basement ;)

Noodle Boy said:
I hear that SLI will be almost twice as fast as current cards in certain applications, but what I ask is that...i kinda don't see the point of getting an SLI for so much money, when you can just wait for next generation hardware

why do people bother with phase change/pelt cooling? why do people bother spending money on fx-53's and p4ee's?

wtf are you even doing on this forum :)

DanK said:
Yeah, a year or so should be about right. I'd look to something like it for my next rig; dual 16x PCI-E slots, and a single PCI-E videocard. Then, when I need more performance later on, buy another of the same graphics card (which by that time will be pretty cheap). I don't see anything wrong with this.

providing the exact same model is still stocked, otherwise youd have to buy two new cards

a1ka1ine said:
providing the exact same model is still stocked, otherwise youd have to buy two new cards

You can still buy many varieties of original Radeon or TNT2 online (check pricewatch if you don't believe me). I don't think finding a card that's brand new now is going to be that hard in a couple years.

DanK said:
You can still buy many varieties of original Radeon or TNT2 online (check pricewatch if you don't believe me). I don't think finding a card that's brand new now is going to be that hard in a couple years.

I don't even think two SLI 6800GTs will even stack up in a couple of years.

If all goes well and nVidia implements this SLI technology in a *transparent* way to the system, I think they have a winner. If they depend too much on software, it could end up as a mess of incompatability. Overall, this probably will ATi in the hot seat, which means lower prices for everyone :D

I mean really! Provided of course that it works as intended and you actually get something resembling the benefits of two cards and you can fork out the cash without really sweating it, who in the world calling themselves a gamer wouldn't do it? I know many a gamer who would go on food rations to have this type of setup. I am a 16x12 junkie. Hell yes I'd have it.

Talonz said:
I don't even think two SLI 6800GTs will even stack up in a couple of years.

The Radeon 9700 Pro was introduced in August 2002. I'm sure there are plenty of people still happily gaming on that card. It's also pretty adequate for most of the games out there today. Barring some huge revolution in graphics engine requirements, it makes sense that cards released in the present will still be adequate 2 years from now. How many people are still gaming on Geforce 4 Ti graphics cards? (I won't even get started about a friend of mine who plays UT2k4 on a Radeon 7500 :eek: )

I think it's gonna kick ass, but also feel Nvidia is wasting their time with it at this point in the game.
By the time all the players are in place for a real need (not to mention the ability to do it in the first place) to use this technology, and they have a large enough market to make it worthwhile, we will be on a whole new generation of cards and DX/OpenGL versions.
GeForce 7800GT SLI here I come! lol

DanK said:
The Radeon 9700 Pro was introduced in August 2002. I'm sure there are plenty of people still happily gaming on that card. It's also pretty adequate for most of the games out there today. Barring some huge revolution in graphics engine requirements, it makes sense that cards released in the present will still be adequate 2 years from now.

Im pretty sure that revolution in graphics engines that ur were talking about so far has been DOOM 3 no offense but I have 5600 ULTRA oced ( see sig ) and I am not satisfied although it takes alot for that to happen I believe the revolution already began since it requires a vid card w/ 512 meg of RAM or truely run the game at FULL potential and since we have yet to see a card w/ that much RAM .... well u get the picture of were SLI fits in since u would technically be able to achinve something simallar to this :eek:

If they were on the market right now I'd have bought 2 of them.

At the point most games are CPU limited, they allready run great with current graphics cards (100+ FPS), so that means your games aren't performing bad because of your CPU. If you're CPU limited you can just as well increase resolution/detail/antialiasing. When it's no longer your CPU that's "bottlenecking" performance, there's a definite advantage to SLI.

I don't understand all the hate. We've had dual-CPU systems for a long time, a no one's complained about them. I'd much rather have a dual-GPU system than a dual-CPU system. How much doesn't an Opteron 248/250, or FX53 system cost?

If you double the price of something, and the performance doubles, isn't that a great relation between performance and price? When you go from a 3000+ to a 3700+, you don't get double performance, but price doubles. That means you pay big bucks for the extra percent performance. We should appreciate the fact that performance mostly increases linearly with price in the graphics division.

Esben said:
At the point most games are CPU limited, they allready run great with current graphics cards (100+ FPS), so that means your games aren't performing bad because of your CPU. If you're CPU limited you can just as well increase resolution/detail/antialiasing. When it's no longer your CPU that's "bottlenecking" performance, there's a definite advantage to SLI.

I don't understand all the hate. We've had dual-CPU systems for a long time, a no one's complained about them. I'd much rather have a dual-GPU system than a dual-CPU system. How much doesn't an Opteron 248/250, or FX53 system cost?

If you double the price of something, and the performance doubles, isn't that a great relation between performance and price? When you go from a 3000+ to a 3700+, you don't get double performance, but price doubles. That means you pay big bucks for the extra percent performance. We should appreciate the fact that performance mostly increases linearly with price in the graphics division.

Anyone that says todays games wouldn't benefit from dual gpu is lying or stupid. There is no card that can play D3/Far Cry at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF with full detail and stay above 60 fps consistently. The same can be said for joint operations, battlefield vietnam, flight simulator games, racing games etc. Some of the aforementioned games have trouble staying above 60 fps consistently with even 1280x1024 4xAA/16xAF. Plus it would just be pretty cool to have two powerful cards in SLI.

lentic said:
... we have yet to see a card w/ [512MB] RAM ...

That's just because manufacturers are on slim margins, and don't want to include anything they can get away with excluding. As long as people still buy high-end 128MB cards, those cards will continue to be made. When there's big proft to be made from cards that have 512MB (perhaps after Unreal engine 3 comes out), we'll see them.

I also just wonder how nVideas new SLi Tecknology will compare and stack up against Alienwares ALX Dual Video Cards and Processors :confused:

alienware=overpriced+overhyped
sure they are good but not 4k for a water cooled box good.

and ever since i saw newsweek describe the alx with "innovatve liquid cooling" i was thinking how long watercooling has been around and now they claim its a brand new idea i dont even want to talk about alienwares "advancements"

if you are complaining about the cost then dont call yourself a hardcore gamer, a hardcore gamer does what he has to do to get the most FPS possible, and as far as this SLI technology goes i am really excited about, and having 2 video cards inside your box is sexy

one little problem i see however, how will the card ontop be watercooled? :confused:

AMD_Gamer said:
if you are complaining about the cost then dont call yourself a hardcore gamer, a hardcore gamer does what he has to do to get the most FPS possible, and as far as this SLI technology goes i am really excited about, and having 2 video cards inside your box is sexy

that is what i strongly tink too!! and your defently right when you say that you are not a hard core gamer if you dont want the most FPS :D

Back