nVidia SLI Multi-GPU Technology

well you dont have to buy 2 Graphics cards at once, you can always buy one, and when you feel like an upgrade, buy the other. It a great upgrade solution for the gamer

Looks interesting. Hopefully there's a really huge performance gain to justify the cost though

no i dont have whatever that sli bridge thing connects to. Im looking near my hs at the edge of the card and theres nothing there to connect with :(

Well, you need a mobo that has a two PCI-E slots, one 16x and one 8x. Not sure how much that would cost but probably anywhere between $150-200, then you need either two 6600GT PCI-E cards ($150-200x2) or two 6800GT PCI-E ($350-400) or of course the 6800U ($450-550):

So... $550 for a 6600GT setup, $950 for the 6800GT setup, and $1250 for the Ultra setup. (guestimate)

Too pricey for me, but for the enthusiast im sure its acceptable.

SLI is ONLY available on PCI-Express based nVidia cards: 6600GT, 6800-series PCIe cards. There will be no AGP-based SLI solutions. SLI came into existence only because of PCIe.

Well i know that you guys will hate my post but i really think that this technology really stinks....

This is one of the reason why im not an nvidia customer, because nvidia just dont think about how "ergonomic" their GPU can be for their customer but more like: How could i get a bunch of money for something that people dont need but its looks so amazing that people would get these to have the feeling of having something special.

I know that i dont need to overclock my PC, but i want it to push my limits and my PC limits but,

The SLI technology is like : The Double quater-pounds at mcdonalds. Its too much beef, its to big that your mouth cannot open as wide as it is, and its too expensive you dont even eat it completly. You cannot have a better contrast.

No lets TalkS***T about my post ;)

i have a big mouth, i can get the double quarter pounders down easy, but then again i havent ate at mc donalds in 4 years, been stickin to my double burgers from rally's lol

Btw,
2 x 6800Ultra = 4 molex connector = 600w PSU = 4PCI slot used = Heat = dont plan to watercool these = dont plan to OC these = dont plan to upgrade for a new video card for the next 4 years because you will feel ashamed when the new SLI 6999ULTRA 2ghz will arrive.

In contrast:

A sweet x800XT can do the job for the next 2 years, for a quater of the price of the damn SLI technology.

BUT I ADMIT THAT IF I WOULD HAVE 2BILIONS$$ I WOULD BUY A DOZEN OF THESE

Shogo said:
Well i know that you guys will hate my post but i really think that this technology really stinks....

This is one of the reason why im not an nvidia customer, because nvidia just dont think about how "ergonomic" their GPU can be for their customer but more like: How could i get a bunch of money for something that people dont need but its looks so amazing that people would get these to have the feeling of having something special.

I know that i dont need to overclock my PC, but i want it to push my limits and my PC limits but,

The SLI technology is like : The Double quater-pounds at mcdonalds. Its too much beef, its to big that your mouth cannot open as wide as it is, and its too expensive you dont even eat it completly. You cannot have a better contrast.

Dude, its for the enthusiast. They aren't shoving it down your throat saying "HEY THIS IS ALL WE GOT AND ALL YOU CAN USE, USE IT BITCH!!".

They have the 6600GT which is a great value card, and performes amazingly for the price. No average gamer is going to buy anything SLI, the average gamer will buy a 6600 or a 6800NU.

well if you wanna spend $300 now and $150 later when they get reduced you get a $600 card performance, so i think it makes sense but thats just me, some games like hl2 and doom 3 are biast to video cards and will perform differnt just on the GPU so i think its bull, why not have this upgrade option?

Shogo said:
Btw,
2 x 6800Ultra = 4 molex connector = 600w PSU = 4PCI slot used = Heat = dont plan to watercool these = dont plan to OC these = dont plan to upgrade for a new video card for the next 4 years because you will feel ashamed when the new SLI 6999ULTRA 2ghz will arrive.

In contrast:

A sweet x800XT can do the job for the next 2 years, for a quater of the price of the damn SLI technology.

BUT I ADMIT THAT IF I WOULD HAVE 2BILIONS$$ I WOULD BUY A DOZEN OF THESE

signed. too expensive but if you think you need this and have $320420329 to spend..go for it..

EDIT: woudl a dual 6600GT be better than a solo 6800GT..?:)

firey-eyez said:
signed. too expensive but if you think you need this and have $320420329 to spend..go for it..

EDIT: woudl a dual 6600GT be better than a solo 6800GT..?:)

If it was, not by much. Definetly not worth it, you could get a 6800GT for less than having to upgrade your mobo and buy two 6600GTs (atleast right now).

inotocracy said:
Well, you need a mobo that has a two PCI-E slots, one 16x and one 8x. Not sure how much that would cost but probably anywhere between $150-200, then you need either two 6600GT PCI-E cards ($150-200x2) or two 6800GT PCI-E ($350-400) or of course the 6800U ($450-550):

So... $550 for a 6600GT setup, $950 for the 6800GT setup, and $1250 for the Ultra setup. (guestimate)

Too pricey for me, but for the enthusiast im sure its acceptable.

It is very possible to set up a SLI based system on one 16x & one 4x PCIe slots. Via's K8T890pro chipset, for example only has 20 PCIe lanes on the northbridge, which ends up being 16 & 4, instead of 16 & 8 as the Nforce4 Pro has. I doubt there will be any noticible difference.

Shogo said:

I would expect that the nVidia SLI technology is aimed squarely at workstation graphics and that they are just introducing it as an extra kick for the enthusiast. I mean, when you're looking at professional rendering, the extra $4000+ (remember what pro cards cost) is insignificant if it results in an additional 30% increase in top speed.

I also don't understand anything you say. How is it that finding a way to combine two of the best cards they can make is bad? Should they wait until they can make a card that fast to allow people to enjoy that performance? I mean, of course it's too much money for most of us, but I don't understand how raising the bar is like fattening children on worm-meat.

does anyone know if someone made a mobo that had more than 2 pcie slots, could more than 2 cards be used for even more performance?

like could bill gates get a custom mobo made for a few grand and use like 15 of these cards for super computer graphics?

plasma said:
does anyone know if someone made a mobo that had more than 2 pcie slots, could more than 2 cards be used for even more performance?

like could bill gates get a custom mobo made for a few grand and use like 15 of these cards for super computer graphics?

Those motherboards already exist, but cost several thousand dollars. For example, Evans & Sutherland arrays several ATi cards already with AGP slots. However, those are only for defense contractors.

2 vga SLI is way more than enough for anyone. There will be no 3+ SLI solutions for mass consumers.

Karma said:
It is very possible to set up a SLI based system on one 16x & one 4x PCIe slots. Via's K8T890pro chipset, for example only has 20 PCIe lanes on the northbridge, which ends up being 16 & 4, instead of 16 & 8 as the Nforce4 Pro has. I doubt there will be any noticible difference.

But then it wouldnt be a significant difference in performance because you would be limited by the 4x slot. Instead of a 40-50% increase in performance you would end up with 20-30% because the card in the 16x slot has to compensate a lot more for the other.

From what I hear, the second slot must atleast be a x8. Even a full (x16 length) x4 slot will not be able to run a graphics card. Somebody prove me wrong, that way I can go out and buy a Xeon board with a x16 and a x4...

Karma said:
Those motherboards already exist, but cost several thousand dollars. For example, Evans & Sutherland arrays several ATi cards already with AGP slots. However, those are only for defense contractors.

2 vga SLI is way more than enough for anyone. There will be no 3+ SLI solutions for mass consumers.

What do defense contractors use the Evans & Sutherland setup for? industrial design, CAD/CAM etc...?

I think SLI is a definite "wait and see" tech, on paper if you could get more performance out of 2 6600gts than a 6800u then it could be a sweet deal, otherwise it is probably a waist. Then again it does leave more options for future upgrades.

plasma said:

Why would he want to do a daft thing like that? It may be apocryphal, but wasn't it the aforementioned Mr Gates who once said "64k should be enough memory for everyone"?

I can't see him wanting even an integrated graphics chipset, let alone running 4 high-end GPUs in parallel.

this technology was implemented some tiem ago, just bringing back old stuff.

its cool if you have the money, if you don't have the money, plenty of other avenues you can do to acquire gfx power.

no argument needed.

Shogo said:

Firstly I have two words for you: penis envy.

Second, the people who are going to buy this are the people that play at huge resolutions 1600x1200 (or if you've seen those new 30" mac TFT screens) whatever resolution they use. This is not for the average person, you might not technically require all that horse power right now, though I have to say that farcry and doom3 do stress current graphics cards when eye candy is enabled. Some people "HAVE" to play with 8xAA and 16xAF at 1600x1200 if that's how they like playing games then what's there to stop them....graphics card power, with current cards, they just aren't fast enough, so having two of them will definatly make their playing experience more enjoyable.

Those are of course not your standard settings for games, but then again, the people who are going to buy this are hardly your average joe.

If you're complaining about not needing the IQ then hey, why did they make Doom3? I thought the original doom was pretty good, who needs pixel shaders anyway?

Oh man! If I could easily afford to have a dual 6800U rig I wouldn't do it just cause I don't like it! :mad:
Give me a break!

what????

Yout telling me that you would want it in your rig even if you had the money to spend on it easly???

WTF!!!! :eek:

Shogo said:

...the double quarter pounder is the only thing I eat from mcdonalds...I hope you have a couple of growth spurts left if you can't get it in your mouth to bite it...

SLI will be cool...but I won't be investing $1000 to get it...

It will cost alot more than a few grand to make a custom motherboard, especially one that has components that have not been in production yet. However that would be very cool to have a few of these in sli

MrWoot said:
this technology was implemented some tiem ago, just bringing back old stuff.

Sorry but its not old technology, it is NAMED after 3dfx's "SLI" technology but it is completly different in the way that it utilizes the two GPU's... try reading

I will definatly be getting SLI one way or the other..... improved performance and fun ocing... god why the hell not

im just really really suprised to hear that you guys think that the new SIi tecknology is going to suck!!!

I know that this shit is going to cost a lot but come on!!! Once this new tecknology will be around for a while prices will fall and Im really betting that you will be able to purchase a packaged deal with all of the stuff for a nice discount!!!!

I guss what im trying to say is:
Do you think that the proformace gain will be considerly better than just one video card??
&
do you really think that this tecknolgy is going to stink or rock??​

I hear that SLI will be almost twice as fast as current cards in certain applications, but what I ask is that...i kinda don't see the point of getting an SLI for so much money, when you can just wait for next generation hardware, which almost always is twice as fast than the previous generations, and be as fast or even faster then an SLI setup but be considerably less?

All the games being played are CPU bound, by adding another powerfull video card you might get 20 to 30 % higher. Even the Athlon 64 3800+ is CPU bound with todays 800XT and the 6800 ultra. I dont think the benefit will be worth the cost but who knows I could own one next year with dual cpu cores and dual graphics cards. Dam I'm going to need a 700 Watt PSU though :)

Back