Nvidia Shield TV, GameStream, 21:9

PiERiT

2[H]4U
I just bought an Nvidia Shield TV today to stream games to my 4K TV. Hooked it up and... every game defaults to 1920x1080, and while it can be increased within the game settings, it only goes as high as my computer's monitor resolution, 3440x1440. 4k is not selectable.

Surely this isn't how it's meant to work? Am I missing some setting somewhere? I did see a post on the Nvidia site, dated December of 2015, that you needed a 16:9 monitor for 4k to be a selectable option, but I would hope that's been fixed in a year and a half with how popular 21:9 has become.

Very possible that's not the case, though, because I can't find jack on how to fix this. If anyone has run into the same problem and found a resolution I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Were you hoping to run 4K streamed to the Shield TV?

There is a setting called "optimization" where if you turn it off, the Shield won't try to "optimize" the game's settings (it does this via some kind of weird hook in GeForce Experience) to fit the TV.

I'll explain my experience with it, which is a bit opposite yours:

I have a 1440p monitor and I stream to my living room 1080p TV. If I use the default "optimize" setting, games that I run at 1440p will be adjusted to 1080p before streaming (you can see this on your PC monitor also). Not only that, some settings like AA, texture, etc., are all "optimized." I assume this is some measure to reduce any input lag or stuttering that streaming would introduce. I've turned this off to see what happens, and when you do, the Shield will receive the same image you see on your PC monitor - that is, in my case, downsampled to 1080p from 1440p.

Your case is a bit different - you've got the TV at 4K, and I don't believe the Shield displays 4K at all times, most of the main menu UI and other elements are 1080p upscaled. That's possibly what's happening here, you are getting bucketed into 1080p because the Shield is trying to force that.

I'm also wondering if it's reasonable bandwidth to stream 4K? Are both the PC and the Shield on wired ethernet?

Yes, they're both wired.

I messed with it some more and found that if I set my monitor to 1920x1080 before I start streaming, 4k is selectable within games. Whether it's actually rendering at 4k, I have no idea, and it's annoying having to change my monitor's resolution back and forth each time, but it is what it is.

Enable dsr in the Nvidia control panel. Add a custom resolution of 3840x2160
Might not work.

DSR only causes the internal rendering of the game to be done at 4k, but it still will be downscale and streamed with a lower resolution.

Enable dsr in the Nvidia control panel. Add a custom resolution of 3840x2160

Enabling DSR specifically disables creating custom resolutions, and none of the multiplier options for DSR for 3440x1440 equate to 3840x2160.

I just installed the Win10 Creators Update and my workaround no longer works, so that's real neato. Guess I'll unhook my $1000 monitor and plug in the $80 one in my closet. :(

Last edited:
Back