NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Reviews

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA SHIELD with Android TV has just been announced and the folks at Legit Reviews and PC Perspective have posted reviews.

NVIDIA announcing a device the day Google I/O 2015 kicks off is no coincidence as NVIDIA wants the software developer community to know that they have one of the premier devices for Android TV. The Android TV enabled device that we are talking about would be the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV.

Ya but can I have it boot into SPMC by default? That's all I really want lol.

It's exactly what I expected it to be:

Way too expensive and overpowered for a streamer box.

Way too underpowered to make a dent in PS4 or Xbone sales.

Way too restricted in usage to replace an HTPC, unless someone offers hacked firmware.

DVR functionality coming int the future sounds interesting, but incredibly late. It would have been more interesting 5 years ago, before Netflix streaming became huge.

Coudl make some sales for peopel who bought 4k TVs and can't stand

Already bought one (the cheaper non-pro one). I've been waiting for one of the Android TV boxes (and their competitors like the Apple TV and Fire TV) to pack enough power to be something interesting and this looks good. I already have the original Shield and I like it a lot but it's console mode kind of sucks (it is too under-powered to ever perform adequately @1080p in that regard). This ticks all the proper boxes for me, at least in theory. We shall see.

only makes sense when....u have another sheild device....comes with no remote.

only makes sense when....u have another sheild device....comes with no remote.

It comes with native support for Harmony remotes out of the box. Not needing a FLIRC is a huge selling point for me and it would just be another remote to throw in a box on the shelf. Once you switch to a Harmony remote you'll never touch your old remotes again.

the grid library is too limited for me. I can definately see the potential and appeal though as i. I woul dnot be locked out of exclusive games any longer but then again I guess they would become all grid game then and either you have grid or you dont.

Grid continues to expand and has some excellent choices. I've enjoyed the service and am glad it continues to evolve and expand.

Pointless product. Market will decide it's fate.

Back