nvidia secret event, does nvidia release a new GPU every three months?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
As title.
Nvidia organized a secret event to present some new products. NDA will expire on 21th October.
There were hardware canucks and some others at the event.

What do you think that they will show on October? A new GPU?
Do nvidia release a new GPU every three months now?

They were kicking around several variants of a 960 Ti awhile back that never did get released. How about a GTX 980 Nano, because they just put out the notebook version of the 980? Something faster than a 980 Ti/Titan doesn't seem to be a possible option with Pascal coming in mid-2016, but it still bugs me that that means the 15-month cycle of x80 cards will be broken, but what chip would they base a GTX 1080 on if not Pascal? I've been told GM200 is completely tapped out, and it seems hard to believe that Nvidia has managed to develop GM3xx without anybody noticing.

Maybe it's some non-video card stuff.

With 380X coming they have to counter so 960ti probably.
Although there must be gm200 chips that have more defects than only 2smm disabled on 980ti so maybe some counter to Fury non X.

Pascal is ready and they are going to launch in time for the holiday sales. 1080ti. Twice as fast as a Titan X while using half the power. Direct X 13 and VulkanGL 2.0 compatible. Actually lowers AMD's stock price when installed. Comes bundled with Half Life 3 and WolfenDoom.

Dual GPU 990 according to my source.

Which kinda makes sense because no way does the mighty Jen-Hsun let some lowly Fury X2 beat him to the dual GPU punch.

Last edited:

Which kinda makes sense because no way does the mighty Jen-Hsun let some lowly Fury X2 beat him to the dual GPU punch.

Too bad multigpu from both vendors blow...

I like Prime's WolfenDoom bundle better.

They will have to use the Titan name so they can sell it for $1500+

Titan Malcom X - Black Power!

They will have to use the Titan name so they can sell it for $1500+

Titan Malcom X - Black Power!

I thought for ONCE you wouldn't drink for breakfast.

No Titan branding. Just GTX990

Seen a few hints dropped already from people who were there, it's definitely a new dual GPU card.
Probably going to get crushed by the Fury X2 unfortunately, AMD will plop a watercooler on their card and with the extra CF scaling it will be no contest again.

Seen a few hints dropped already from people who were there, it's definitely a new dual GPU card.
Probably going to get crushed by the Fury X2 unfortunately, AMD will plop a watercooler on their card and with the extra CF scaling it will be no contest again.

Fury X2 would have to be dual rad? Or maybe a hybrid cooler with single rad would be enough... Hmm that's a fun one to guess at.

I'd rather spend my money OCing a single GPU than the multigpu nonsense, to each their own.

Fury X2 would have to be dual rad? Or maybe a hybrid cooler with single rad would be enough... Hmm that's a fun one to guess at.

I'd rather spend my money OCing a single GPU than the multigpu nonsense, to each their own.

I don't think Fury X2 will need more cooling than a 295X2.

Nah, I think it'll be a 16nm shrink of the GM200 for some sort of super-Titan card.

Well, I can dream can't I?? ;)

I don't think Fury X2 will need more cooling than a 295X2.

Fury X's die is 37% larger. That's the only reason I said it. They could do dual nanos or a slightly under locked Fury X I suppose. It's a bit more power but maybe the 295x2's cooler could handle it.

AMD had better make sure they get permission from Asetek for their cooling system, Cooler Master is already in hot water for them violating the patent, and AMD may feel the wrath on the Fury X soon enough.

Nvidia loves to ruin AMD's parade, so its gotta be something big.

If I was at nvidia I'd take a 1-2 punch and have the "Titan mini" and the Titan X2

Pascal is ready and they are going to launch in time for the holiday sales. 1080ti. Twice as fast as a Titan X while using half the power. Direct X 13 and VulkanGL 2.0 compatible. Actually lowers AMD's stock price when installed. Comes bundled with Half Life 3 and WolfenDoom.

post of the day

I know the rumors are saying it's most likely a dual gpu 990 (based on the 980) but I sure hope not. Although it's possible, I don't expect them to put out a 16GB 990... If this ends up being an 8GB dual gpu I don't really see where it would fit in. A 980 Ti already gives you fps within 10% - 15% of 980s in SLI while offering much smoother gameplay and costs about $200 less.

By moving to a 990 with 8GB (4GB usable) over a 980 Ti you'd be giving up 2GB of RAM, smooth gameplay, and probably paying a premium over 980s in SLI (that one card, dual gpu markup)... Not to mention any of the other issues that can arise when running SLI.

All you'd gain would be 10% - 15% maximum framerates and with the way AMD Crossfire seems to scale... You'd probably end up with the second fastest single card behind the Fury X2 , which I've seen PCB shots of and can't be too far away (assuming the pics weren't fakes).

It would make no sense to have a dual gpu card based on the regular 980 as it would be quite a bit slower than the dual Fury X card.

It would make no sense to have a dual gpu card based on the regular 980 as it would be quite a bit slower than the dual Fury X card.

Isn't like nvidia have a great history of Dual GPU cards specially since the GTX 590.. they need to learn a lot of AMD in that department.

My guess would be a dual GPU card, perhaps with a lower clocked 980 Ti. As someone mentioned, it makes little sense to release a dual vanilla 980 card at this point.

it has never stopped nvidia before with their dual GPU cards, lol. all they want is the fastest single card crown and 2 980 gpus would be enough to do that.

it has never stopped nvidia before with their dual GPU cards, lol. all they want is the fastest single card crown and 2 980 gpus would be enough to do that.
You are not making any sense. What good would a card with dual 980 gpus do? The only reason Nvidia would make a dual gpu card is to compete with the upcoming dual Fury X card.

any prize for guessing the correct NVidia secret works?

Here's my take;

-dual Titan X in one PCB?
-"Nano" like 980 ti?
-an 8GB GTX 980?
-a properly binned Titan X - 980 ti - 980 in 8GB for maximum profit and OC
-dual GTX 980 in one PCB

I know my guesses are AMDish

-a properly binned Titan X - 980 ti - 980 in 8GB for maximum profit and OC

If they do this, then they need to drop the price of the existing cards, because then you're basically guaranteed to not get a lottery winner, as they've been separated out.

If they do this, then they need to drop the price of the existing cards, because then you're basically guaranteed to not get a lottery winner, as they've been separated out.
Fury X vs Nano?
GTX 990M vs 980?
Kingpin 980 Ti?

You always pay more for better binned chips whether you realize it or not, that's sort of the definition of cutdown GPUs... 970 vs 980, 7950 vs 7970, and so on. Manufacturers have been binning internally for years as well -- EVGA SC, SSC, FTW, FTW+, Classified.

Nvidia loves to ruin AMD's parade, so its gotta be something big.

If I was at nvidia I'd take a 1-2 punch and have the "Titan mini" and the Titan X2

Yes and the next card from AMD in 380X so that makes 960ti even more likely.

Noone cares about Nano...

They wouldn't fly people to NYC for the 960 Ti.
It's big... Dual GM200 or early Pascal preview (not likely).

Yes but the 1080ti is actually a triple GPU / TRI-SLI GTX 970 with 16GB HBM memory which is shared among the 3 GPU's. Nvidia's GPUS are of course much cooler and this is actually a fanless design wrapped in soundproofing foam just to please their most hardcore fans. The game streaming will only work with the latest NVidia Shield Android TV box and the proprietary micro cloud computing technology shares draw calls among the two devices. GTX 1080ti users can now take advantage of NVidia's new GTX Mouse which has an onboard GPU to render the mouse pointer on the screen so that you can reduce stress on the main system. None of these features are available to AMD FANBOYS hahahaha LOSERS look what saving a few dollars gets you! The WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED baby.

Back