NVIDIA RTX IO Detailed: GPU-assisted Storage Stack Here to Stay Until CPU Core-counts Rise

If a cpu is utlized to 6% with the map taking 6 mins to load, how is rtx IO going to help? If only 6% cpu is being used is the game not underoptimized already? Imagine if the game makers bumped cpu up to 20% while doing io?
Umm how about bypassing the CPU bottleneck?

6% CPU usage is typical CPU load when I extract files using a SINGLE thread on my 3900x

Why is it using only a single thread to extract and load? Software... Unoptimized...

Anything to make optimization easier is always welcome.
Imagine if loading screens were a thing of the past.....

Ark is ready for me in 15 seconds or less.

I even have mods

And to gta 5.... you cant cherry pick one game and apply its slow loading to everything else.

Once I moved to nvme no more load stutter, no more slow access times, things really zipped along. Yes there are benches showing sata and nvme are almos identical in game loading, they are not identical in loading on demand assets during peak gameplay.

Im sure this nv tech will be nice but not sure how nice. Sounds a little like those killer gaming nics to me. More hype than worth.

My understanding is that this is more a feature for on-the-fly super quick loading of assets actually DURING gameplay. Think massive textures loaded on demand in the middle of a scene. It is meant to be Microsoft's assurance that the PC will be able to pull off some of that realtime texture loading trickery that was demoed in the PS5 Unreal demo. And if you haven't seen that yet, it is absolutely worth a watch.

6% CPU usage is typical CPU load when I extract files using a SINGLE thread on my 3900x

Why is it using only a single thread to extract and load? Software... Unoptimized...

Anything to make optimization easier is always welcome.
Imagine if loading screens were a thing of the past.....

Well we wont get rid of the 30 seconds of logos and brand markings that we have to endure loading a game, no tech can help that uggh

Anything to make optimization easier is always welcome
Well we wont get rid of the 30 seconds of logos and brand markings that we have to endure loading a game, no tech can help that uggh
Too true lol!

I wish they would just frigging tell us how the cards will perform on intel and AMD and stop assing about with marketing bs. Its bad enough FE isnt coming to AUS and they will screw us on AIB pricing

I wish they would just frigging tell us how the cards will perform on intel and AMD and stop assing about with marketing bs. Its bad enough FE isnt coming to AUS and they will screw us on AIB pricing
There are videos up of the 3080 playing the new doom at 4K max settings and holding down numbers in 150s. Flopping back and forth between it and the 2080TI. So while not a great indicator it’s better than nothing?

edit:
Found the video.

There are videos up of the 3080 playing the new doom at 4K max settings and holding down numbers in 150s. Flopping back and forth between it and the 2080TI. So while not a great indicator it’s better than nothing?

edit:
Found the video.

Meh were 7 days away from release. Not a big deal. Get your f5 keys ready, youre gonna wear them out.

edit:
Found the video.

Yes but they dont tell us what system its running on, will PCI 3.0 be a limiting factor, will AMD bottleneck fps? These are the questions we need answered lol

Yes but they dont tell us what system its running on, will PCI 3.0 be a limiting factor, will AMD bottleneck fps? These are the questions we need answered lol

They kinda answered already:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7493...new-geforce-rtx-3090-graphics-card/index.html
The answer is no -- you will be fine, senior vice president of content and technology at NVIDIA, Tony Tamasi, explains on Reddit: "System performance is impacted by many factors and the impact varies between applications".

He continued: "The impact is typically less than a few percent going from a x16 PCIE 4.0 to x16 PCIE 3.0. CPU selection often has a larger impact on performance.We look forward to new platforms that can fully take advantage of Gen4 capabilities for potential performance increases".

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7493...new-geforce-rtx-3090-graphics-card/index.html

They answered those questions in their Q&A. For all their benchmarks they used an Intel system.

Question.... would this tech work at all with a traditional HDD.... Lots of titles coming up that are now stating SSD as a requirement and lots of people are blowing that off. But if the games streaming textures using the DX12U Direct Store would that cause crashes or other forms of instability??
No it would not. A normal hard drive isnt fast enough to bother with this tech and since it was already said this is for NVME only, that means it is only accessing the NVME drivers and not basic sata drivers.

No it would not. A normal hard drive isnt fast enough to bother with this tech and since it was already said this is for NVME only, that means it is only accessing the NVME drivers and not basic sata drivers.
But I mean if a developer implements this and based most of the game design around it. And somebody tried to play it on a slower SSD or HDD would the game run or just straight up dive right into a dumpster fire.
The PS5 and Xbox both tout this tech as what makes their new consoles the greatest thing since Jesus invented sliced bread. So what are the chances console ports in the near future require it to actually function.

But I mean if a developer implements this and based most of the game design around it. And somebody tried to play it on a slower SSD or HDD would the game run or just straight up dive right into a dumpster fire.
The PS5 and Xbox both tout this tech as what makes their new consoles the greatest thing since Jesus invented sliced bread. So what are the chances console ports in the near future require it to actually function.

Require? Not likely to happen any time soon. Remember, they still want to actually sell games to people and few people will have the necessary hardware.

Not all tasks and decryption techniques are capable of SMP or multi-threading, and the tasks may be more limited by the disks themselves or be optimized for the lowest common denominator (HDDs).
It doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is unoptimized - software has limitations, regardless of the processing capabilities of CPUs, buses, and disks, and thus newer or different software may be required, which is what I believe we are going to see with the new GPUs and game consoles moving forward within the next year.

Not all tasks and decryption techniques are capable of SMP or multi-threading, and the tasks may be more limited by the disks themselves or be optimized for the lowest common denominator (HDDs).
It doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is unoptimized - software has limitations, regardless of the processing capabilities of CPUs, buses, and disks, and thus newer or different software may be required, which is what I believe we are going to see with the new GPUs and game consoles moving forward within the next year.
I would agree if only he didn't say both his CPU and GPU and DISK are all close to idle ;). It honestly sounds like it's loading using a single core. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't at least load up 2 cores if they really tried. I don't know if you remember when zip programs started getting multi-threading. Made a huge difference. My bet is they had more important things to focus on and didn't bother. Sometimes they write a quick implementation (quick to code) that works so they can get the rest of the project done with intentions of optimizing later, then realize the other 99% of the application is much more priority and never get back around to it and are moved to another project or w/e. Sure, there are some things that can't be hugely threaded, but there are very few that can't use more than a single thread, but as you say, sometimes there just isn't a great way to do it and the effort isn't worth it for something that is currently working.

I would agree if only he didn't say both his CPU and GPU and DISK are all close to idle ;). It honestly sounds like it's loading using a single core. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't at least load up 2 cores if they really tried. I don't know if you remember when zip programs started getting multi-threading. Made a huge difference. My bet is they had more important things to focus on and didn't bother. Sometimes they write a quick implementation (quick to code) that works so they can get the rest of the project done with intentions of optimizing later, then realize the other 99% of the application is much more priority and never get back around to it and are moved to another project or w/e. Sure, there are some things that can't be hugely threaded, but there are very few that can't use more than a single thread, but as you say, sometimes there just isn't a great way to do it and the effort isn't worth it for something that is currently working.
There are quite a few compression techniques used that are still strictly single-threaded - it has nothing to do with the compression tool being used having SMP support.
This is why many individuals on here clamoring that "everything has SMP support these days and should be multi-threaded!!!", as many things are strictly single-threaded and do not work that way or potentially cannot ever work that way.

Many here also claim "the game must be unoptimized!!!", or like you are saying, "My bet is they had more important things to focus on and didn't bother.", and it may have been that whatever compression technique being used is strictly single-threaded but with a high compression ratio.
If another compression technique was used that was SMP, it might be faster on the CPU-side, but it might also lose much of the compression, which I have also seen - this would likely result in a game going from 80GB to 200GB, and then everyone would bitch about the size of it.

This isn't always the software developer's fault, and has nothing to do with lack of effort.
Not everything is capable of SMP, and even if it is, the benefits may be non-existent for the specific task, thus it is left single-threaded.

Just as a casual example, go apply a few *NIX updates to your favourite distro, or even apply some updates to Windows 10, and you will quickly realize not everything is using more than one CPU core.
Not all games, nor software and operating systems, are developed the same, nor can they be depending on their tasks.

There are quite a few compression techniques used that are still strictly single-threaded - it has nothing to do with the compression tool being used having SMP support.
This is why many individuals on here clamoring that "everything has SMP support these days and should be multi-threaded!!!", as many things are strictly single-threaded and do not work that way or potentially cannot ever work that way.

Many here also claim "the game must be unoptimized!!!", or like you are saying, "My bet is they had more important things to focus on and didn't bother.", and it may have been that whatever compression technique being used is strictly single-threaded but with a high compression ratio.
If another compression technique was used that was SMP, it might be faster on the CPU-side, but it might also lose much of the compression, which I have also seen - this would likely result in a game going from 80GB to 200GB, and then everyone would bitch about the size of it.

This isn't always the software developer's fault, and has nothing to do with lack of effort.
Not everything is capable of SMP, and even if it is, the benefits may be non-existent for the specific task, thus it is left single-threaded.

Just as a casual example, go apply a few *NIX updates to your favourite distro, or even apply some updates to Windows 10, and you will quickly realize not everything is using more than one CPU core.
Not all games, nor software and operating systems, are developed the same, nor can they be depending on their tasks.
Very unlikely with the amount of files they need to decompress that it's due to anything besides lack of doing it. I know what you're saying, and it does happen sometimes, but the fact that so many other games/appears able to load with multiple threads leads one to wonder if they're doing something that different or just didn't bother. Most zip applications are able to be threaded, I doubt it's some new form of compression they are using, wouldn't make much sense. The synchronization between threads can sometimes be a pita, so to put a bunch of effort towards something with no impact on actual gameplay or app usage (aka, no difference in frame rates after it loads) it just isn't a huge priority a lot of times. Not many review sites compare how quickly a game or levels load unless they're doing a disk benchmark, as they aren't really comparable game to game. That said I've seen plenty of room for optimization, take rainbow six siege for example, why does it need to compile shaders every time it runs? Why not just store a cache and check that the GPU/driver version hasn't changed? This kind of stuff is why AMD/Nvidia have a shader cache built into their drivers, because games don't/won't do it themselves (and one could argue, the driver knows better if its updated whether the cache is still good or requires rebuild).

Ps. I write code for a living, most often it's multi threaded. I'm not trying to say the programmers suck or we lazy, just that it happens for whatever reasons that things don't get optimized (especially things that don't directly effect game play).

Back