Nvidia Releases GeForce Game Ready Driver 398.82 WHQL

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Nvidia has released new Game Ready Driver 398.82 to tackle upcoming game releases World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth and Monster Hunter: World. Nvidia boasts that their GTX 1060 will handle World of Warcraft at 60FPS at 1080p, a GTX 1070 is great for 1440p, and the GTX 1080 is perfect for 4K gaming in the title. These are all done with the in-game settings on the "High" preset. I didn't see mention of what settings will be needed for Monster Hunter: World to achieve 60 FPS. From what I've read it is a "Monster" load on computer systems.

If you like World of Warcraft, you like stats, so here's some: at 1920x1080, our benchmarking concluded with an average framerate of 65.4 on the GeForce GTX 1060, when paired with an i5-6600K. A minimum framerate of 53 was the lowest we saw, and the frametime plot was near-perfect, indicating performance was smooth and stable. At 2560x1440, the GeForce GTX 1070 gave us a 65.6 FPS average, with a minimum of 52, and equally-smooth frametimes . And at 4K, it's recommended that players step up to an i7 for a perfect 60 frames per second on a GeForce GTX 1080, with the occasional dip to 51 FPS.

So I was reading that she doesn't baseball slide into Arthas's sword. In this video it sure looks like she does. All you need is for an umpire to say, "You're out!"

Maybe I need to resurrect the game again. Haven't touched the last couple of expansions.

I've never played WoW (I have played FFXIV) -- is the animation as crappy as that video, and the frame rates that bad?
If not, why promote the game with a South-Park quality trailer? Did they spend the marketing budget on hookers and blow?

World of Warcraft is CPU limited, not sure if this driver will make it run faster. I'm using dx 11 on windows 8.1. I'll see if there is an improvement or not.

I've never played WoW (I have played FFXIV) -- is the animation as crappy as that video, and the frame rates that bad?
If not, why promote the game with a South-Park quality trailer? Did they spend the marketing budget on hookers and blow?

I think it's supposed to be artsy-fartsy.

Also: Cheap.

Blizzard always did incredible cinematics back in the day. Maybe those cost too much?

See, most of these WoW benches don't mean jack-sh*t.

Bench it during a 30-person raid and then we can talk....

But as many others have pointed out, WoW is CPU-bound anyways.

Tested it with i7-8700K delided @ 4.9Ghz with Titan Xp 2012Mhz watercooled. At slider to 10 (highest), above Suramar city, looking towards Emerald Tree, 44-45 fps consistent. Closed game, installed new drivers (clean install), started game, looking at same spot, since I closed it using "X" in top right... fps jumped to 54-55fps consistent. So about 8-10fps improvement. All this was tested under DX12.

Here is the cinematic trailer. I linked the baseball slide one because it intrigued me. :)

The game looks NOTHING like this. If it looked remotely like this I would still be playing. :)

They must incredibly inefficient code for a 12 year old game to run this badly on modern hardware. Makes sense since they retrofitted so much stuff on top of their old systems.

They must incredibly inefficient code for a 12 year old game to run this badly on modern hardware. Makes sense since they retrofitted so much stuff on top of their old systems.

Rift is 10x worse. Going from a 780 to a 1080 Ti gave zero framerate increase to that game... WoW, however, I increased the settings and use 200% scaling and it runs noticeably faster.

Both games use old engines with stuff piled on to it, but, apparently WoW still has the ability to scale a bit. Not that I'd be mad if they split off a team to spend a year or so hammering out a new engine from scratch! But at least they're still able to squeeze out some more performance with newer cards.

Rift is 10x worse. Going from a 780 to a 1080 Ti gave zero framerate increase to that game... WoW, however, I increased the settings and use 200% scaling and it runs noticeably faster.

Both games use old engines with stuff piled on to it, but, apparently WoW still has the ability to scale a bit. Not that I'd be mad if they split off a team to spend a year or so hammering out a new engine from scratch! But at least they're still able to squeeze out some more performance with newer cards.

God, Rift. That game is a piece of coding work. That’s for sure. I still play it when I’m bored, but won’t spent a penny on it. The coding is terrible.

I'm trying to install on Win10 x64 and I always do the same thing: Custom Install, driver only.

With this driver release, I cannot opt out of GeForce Experience. It doesn't let me deselect it.
Now mind you, I am not wearing a tinfoil hat here. I simply do not ever utilize this software because I don't stream or do crazy things. I just play games here and there.
Why would I install something that hooks itself into a bunch of things, runs additional processes etc., when I absolutely don't use it?

Is this a new thing? I don't like it.

I'm trying to install on Win10 x64 and I always do the same thing: Custom Install, driver only.

With this driver release, I cannot opt out of GeForce Experience. It doesn't let me deselect it.
Now mind you, I am not wearing a tinfoil hat here. I simply do not ever utilize this software because I don't stream or do crazy things. I just play games here and there.
Why would I install something that hooks itself into a bunch of things, runs additional processes etc., when I absolutely don't use it?

That is weird usually you can install it only if you wanted.

Uninstall it after the driver installation. GFE doesn't run in the background all the time, anyway, so you can just ignore it. The telemetry is baked into the driver.

Anyone else find it ridiculous that a driver download is now a half-Gig in size?
I don't think anyone likes that part. But I'm willing to give them a break here because what bloats the drivers is all the customisations for hundreds or thousands of games. When new games come out and they're big enough AAA titles, NV will work out optimizations for those games. Those can be settings, shader programs and other driver changes for just that game.
When you install a new driver from NV, you probably still want optimizations for a game that's 5 or so years old that you're still playing, so it's bundled into the driver.

You could come up with elaborate ways of just patching driver installs because you already have that data, but then they have to package their software in multiple ways (for new vs. existing installs, people who are always on the latest vs people who skipped a few updates) just in order to make the files smaller.

AMD's driver is 350MB as well, and growing, it's the same issues.

See, most of these WoW benches don't mean jack-sh*t.

Bench it during a 30-person raid and then we can talk....

But as many others have pointed out, WoW is CPU-bound anyways.

Is it really? Or is the default configuration still sucky and you have to go edit the settings manually to get it to use more cores?

I know it was that way 10 years ago when it was "CPU Bound". Edit the settings so it can use more cores and suddenly it runs a whole lot better.

Maybe there is something wrong with your download, try again. I am given the option to not install it.

I noted in the release notes that 32-bit OSs are no longer supported by newer drivers.

God, Rift. That game is a piece of coding work. That’s for sure. I still play it when I’m bored, but won’t spent a penny on it. The coding is terrible.

Most old games are CPU bound as they are single threaded. EQII kind of suffers from the same issues (back in the day you needed a 512MB video card to max it out which was insane). It's good that developer is at least trying to make it better.

Most old games are CPU bound as they are single threaded. EQII kind of suffers from the same issues (back in the day you needed a 512MB video card to max it out which was insane). It's good that developer is at least trying to make it better.

I'm gonna have so much fun on these old games when I get my hands on a 12 GHz CPU. I'll be waiting....

You are not paying attention to the very beginning of the driver install process. It gives you two options which is the driver install or the geforce experience with driver install. The default there is geforce experience with driver install so just click on the driver only and then hit accept.

You are not paying attention to the very beginning of the driver install process. It gives you two options which is the driver install or the geforce experience with driver install. The default there is geforce experience with driver install so just click on the driver only and then hit accept.
You're totally correct, it's a step I'm not familiar with and must've skipped without reading at all. Thanks!

Back