• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Nvidia rebrands 210 as 310

I didn't have a problem with them doing this once in order to bring their older cards up to snuff on the new naming scheme but you can't keep doing it. Now people will look at a GT310 and think "oh it's better than a GT210 because it's a 300 series"
 
The move is rather strange, considering the fact that in less than two month time Intel launches Core i5 and Core i3 chips with advanced built-in graphics cores, which are more than likely to beat Nvidia’s GeForce 205.

It's a rather stinging statement when Intel graphics chips are faster than an Nvidia solution. No, I'm not jumping on the "let's dog Nvidia while they're down" bandwagon, but c'mon here, an Intel GPU faster than an Nvidia one?
 
I didn't have a problem with them doing this once in order to bring their older cards up to snuff on the new naming scheme but you can't keep doing it. Now people will look at a GT310 and think "oh it's better than a GTX295 because it's a 300 series"


fixed ;)
 
This is a pretty stupid move from NVIDIA, as I thought every "300" series card was going to support DX11 but rebranding this one was stupid enough. Soon, NVIDIA may as well rebrand the G92 cards into "350 GTS" or something similar like that, wouldn't surprise me if they did.
 
If you don't like how Nvidia names their cards don't buy them. Crying about it changes nothing.
 
If you don't like how Nvidia names their cards don't buy them. Crying about it changes nothing.

i just don't like the way they are tricking people into thinking they are getting a new card when they aren't.

could you imagine if ati renamed their 4870? oh wait why would they do that? they already created a replacement for that card.
 
If you have a GT210, you probably don't know much about computers, and with that said, you probably aren't going to want to "upgrade" your computer to a GT310.

Plus, people who don't do their research should be penalized with buying the same card again.
 
a082o1.gif
 
Actually, people may well have bought a GT210 because they have a clue - or because someone with a clue built it for them. Of course, the former will know not to upgrade to a GT310, and the latter just wouldn't.

The G210 is a fairly low-power and quiet card (good for HTPC), implements higher-quality upscaling of SD material than previous generations, and does hardware acceleration of DivX/XviD (as well as h.264, VC-1, etc). These are apparently taken advantage of by XBMC when using VDPAU (using the latest 9.11 beta - I don't have a GT210 to check).

Additionally, it is usable by CoreAVC on Windows (though there are currently no advantages over previous generation cards doing this) to give hardware acceleration with the greatest level of compatibility, plus the ability to post-process the decoded video (not possible with DxVA).

The ATI offerings at the same or lower price point are technically better cards, but CoreAVC and VDPAU make the nVidia cards better in practice for low-power HTPCs.
 
I think it's fine if they would rebrand the card and add DX11 support, since at least then it qualifies for a new name. Otherwise, I don't see how this isn't just a taking advantage of unknowing customers scheme, which to me, isn't right. If they had never rebranded the 8800 as the 9800/250 they probably wouldn't have sold as many units. That said, I think that they earned that money unethically at best. Well, we'll see what their next high performance offering is, but I'm starting to lose my faith in the green.
 
This is a pretty stupid move from NVIDIA, as I thought every "300" series card was going to support DX11 but rebranding this one was stupid enough. Soon, NVIDIA may as well rebrand the G92 cards into "350 GTS" or something similar like that, wouldn't surprise me if they did.

nah.. watch the GTX 285 get rebranded as the GTS 350 :p you know its going to happen.. its the nvidia way!
 
Well, how i see it is is

If it is the same card, but priced less, who cares, one less card to confuse the unknowing customer.
If it is the same card, but has something new, DX11?,and costs less or the same, one less card to confuse the unknowing customer.

If it is the same card and costs more, then NVIDIA GFY!
 
If you don't like how Nvidia names their cards don't buy them. Crying about it changes nothing.

Actually, crying about it solves plenty. "Crying about it", as you so like to call it, spreads the word. And of course, the more you know...
 
Actually, crying about it solves plenty. "Crying about it", as you so like to call it, spreads the word. And of course, the more you know...
Shhhhh your logic and reasoning has no place on the Internetz.
 
Just Nvidia trying to fleece the uninformed masses again. Nothing to see here.
"But d00d it's a Geforce 300! It's gotta be fast!" :rolleyes:

And you thought wood screws was bad? LOL.
Now Nvidia fanbois will be saying, "See told you Fermi would release before 2010!"
 
And by that logic, the HD 5750 is better than the HD 4870 X2...

Not a bad point, although at least 5750 is a new card and is named appropriately to the rest of the series. People would defnitely be upset if HD5770 was simply a re-branded HD4770, for example. The difference here is that a 5770 is a worthwhile upgrade from 4770, whereas GF310 is exactly the same card as GF210.
 
I dislike how they rename cards, but they at least give a good product chooser that has relative graphics power and will actually lead you to the right card. Or you could have ATI's product comparision page which tells you the only significant difference between a 4850x2 and a 4890, 4870, 5870 is the 4850x2 has twice as much memory and outputs. I guess that means it's better right?
 
This is exactly why I jumped ship to ATI

You jumped ship because you don't like their marketing? :confused:

I went with who had the best card.....I could care less about marketing or how they re brand....none of that matters in the games I play.
 
You jumped ship because you don't like their marketing? :confused:

I went with who had the best card.....I could care less about marketing or how they re brand....none of that matters in the games I play.

Right???

I don't care if the called it the "ONE" or something to that effect. I'd get it if was great! hahaha... :D
 
You jumped ship because you don't like their marketing? :confused:

I went with who had the best card.....I could care less about marketing or how they re brand....none of that matters in the games I play.


should put a poll up on the top of this thread asking how many people jumped to AMD because of Nvidia's rebranding scheme/scam over the last 2 years.. you would probably be pretty surprised..
 
The poster who said crying about it changes nothing is right. Buying an ATI card when my GTX260 needs replacement does though.

I'm not even considering Nvidia anymore for future cards.
 
What's wrong with jumping ship if you feel a companies marketing is ethically wrong? Your computer and games may not have a concept of ethics, but human beings do.
 
should put a poll up on the top of this thread asking how many people jumped to AMD because of Nvidia's rebranding scheme/scam over the last 2 years.. you would probably be pretty surprised..

I guess I would be suprised...I would be suprised that anyone would cut off their nose to spite there face...
its a pretty odd reason to chose a video card...

I would also bet money that anyone of these so called people would jump right back on a Nvidia card if they had one that could beat the ATI line right now..... it would be silly to think otherwise.
 
Actually, crying about it solves plenty. "Crying about it", as you so like to call it, spreads the word. And of course, the more you know...

Exactly why apologists don't like it being discussed. [H] gets a crapload of lurkers.
 
What's wrong with jumping ship if you feel a companies marketing is ethically wrong? Your computer and games may not have a concept of ethics, but human beings do.

Nvidia doesn't plant a tree for each video card they sell, that's why I switched to ati :p. I don't see anything wrong with renaming. The one who gets my dollars is the one with the fastest card. Nvidia is not the first company to do this nor will they be the last.
 
Nvidia doesn't plant a tree for each video card they sell, that's why I switched to ati :p. I don't see anything wrong with renaming. The one who gets my dollars is the one with the fastest card. Nvidia is not the first company to do this nor will they be the last.

x2 pretty much :)
 
Nvidia doesn't plant a tree for each video card they sell, that's why I switched to ati :p. I don't see anything wrong with renaming. The one who gets my dollars is the one with the fastest card. Nvidia is not the first company to do this nor will they be the last.

I fully understand that concept. But if you have two difference companies, both with comparable products the choice between the two can indeed come down to ethics. The fact that there have been people in this thread already that have shown displeasure at nVidia's tactics is proof enough that people WILL make decisions based on something other than the actual hardware.

I'm not saying nVidia is dirty and AMD is Mr. Clean, what I am saying is that people do make decisions based on other factors and it isn't "wrong" to do so.
 
Back
Top