NVIDIA Readies 3-Way SLI Technology?

field test their latest crap.

Nail on the head imho.

Personally I don't see a future in this technology. I think it would be better to create a dual-core GPU. I know it would be huge and run incredibly hot at first (Pentium D of the GPU world anyone?) but I think it has long since been realized that a single multi-core CPU is far more efficient and practical than multiple single-core CPUs. I believe the same logic applies to the GPU.

I'm not saying throw SLI out in general, but instead of tri-SLI you could end up with two dual-core GPUs in your box, which would result in more performance than this technology.

I would most expect a move to multi-core GPUs from AMD first, rather than nVidia.

I'm so happy to learn that all of the Forceware, Vista and nForce driver issues are fixed!
Regular SLI and single-GPU operation must be at its pinnacle, which thusly frees up valuable engineering efforts to create this incredibly useful technology that will be affordable, relevant and long-lived!

/wipes off the drippy sarcasm quickly before it sticks

LOL !! :)

Releasing 3 way SLI when regualr SLI is buggy as hell and few applications can really take advtange of it.

Utter waste of engineering resources and time; I really hope AMD gets back in the game soon, this is the kind of crap we can expect in a one horse race.

Truly it is a total waste ! I actually hope AMD gets off thier ass and does something usefull.Maybe give Nvidia some real competetion for once.... :rolleyes: And stop this
BS.

Nail on the head imho.

Personally I don't see a future in this technology. I think it would be better to create a dual-core GPU. I know it would be huge and run incredibly hot at first (Pentium D of the GPU world anyone?) but I think it has long since been realized that a single multi-core CPU is far more efficient and practical than multiple single-core CPUs. I believe the same logic applies to the GPU.

I'm not saying throw SLI out in general, but instead of tri-SLI you could end up with two dual-core GPUs in your box, which would result in more performance than this technology.

I would most expect a move to multi-core GPUs from AMD first, rather than nVidia.

Even with multi cores, you still want multi sockets. Just like GPU's... if you can do dual core, why not go dual 3 way?

Imagine 6 GPU's in 3 slots ;)

Yes. Thats it! :rolleyes: You obvously don't own a good monitor.

Actually I own a pair of Samsung 243t's. You obviously make very uninformed and hasty assessments based on your flawed emotionality. Try again.

Gotta love it when people hate and bash on new technology pushing the envelope further.

I do have a question for them though... what are you guys doing on the HardForums then? I think it's time they created a SoftForum for you folks.

I never hate technology. I only embrace what I think is worthy. I wouldn't stop anyone from going 3-way SLI. It's not my place and none of my business what you do with your money and with your technology. Even if I had the money and the technology, I would never go 3-way SLI unless there was a compelling reason to. So far there isn't and the few people that would want it as opposed to needing it are far and few between.

Even with multi cores, you still want multi sockets. Just like GPU's... if you can do dual core, why not go dual 3 way?

Imagine 6 GPU's in 3 slots ;)

Why? Because it does not scale linearly. SLI is NOT twice as fast as a single card of the same type. Adding a third will not be 3x the perf. It is beyond the point of diminishing returns.

With multiple CPU cores you get other benefits provided by the OS scheduler. You can play some single threaded game at 100% loading on one core and have stuff still run and get CPU time without impacting game perf. Or games can be authored to implcitly suport multiple CPUs. I've yet to see a game title explcitly support SLI, it's usually the case that NVidia has to add support behind the scenes (ignore the man behind the curtain!) to get it to work. IE: it's a big ass hack.

I run 2x 8800GTX now on an evga 680i SLI. It's great for gaming. It doesn't resume from S3 reliably, eSATA and hot swap is totally broken and everyonce in a while their NIC drivers BSOD on me. Or the GPU driver BSODs on me.

The perf is awesome, but you pay a price for it in stability becuase you are forced to use nvdias buggy-ass moterhboard chipsets.

I want SLI on X38. There is no technical reason that it cannot be done. But if it were done then nobody would buy nvidia chipsets.

That may be true in the CRT monitor days, but with LCD's getting larger with larger native resolutions, we need to be able to push pixels onto them. Like some says, this would be great for enthusiastic builders with 30+" LCD's.

or thoughs with 60' lcds :)

Back