nvidia quadro fx

DaFeesh

n00b
why don't more people use these insane cards for gaming, and what boards support these insane cards?

The Quadros don't perform nearly as well as their gaming counterparts. They're optimized for 3D modeling and animation apps, hence their insane cost.

why don't more people use these insane cards for gaming, and what boards support these insane cards?

LOL :D

These cards are waaaay too expensive just to play games on them.

Also, as said above, they aren't nearly as powerful as their GeForce counterparts (in gaming).

The best Quadro FX available isn't as powerful as the 8800GTX or Ultra, and for the cost of it, one could buy two or three (or more) Ultra's and do Tri-SLI. Now if you want SLI with multiple monitors enabled, then get the Quadro FX's.

Heh, you remind me of me about 5 years ago! :cool:

That's not quite true... the Quadro FX5600 iirc has identical clocks to the 8800GTX, but has 1.5GBs RAM, making it potentially better performing... of course at its price, it's definitely not worth getting unless you do some serious CAD work.

That's not quite true... the Quadro FX5600 iirc has identical clocks to the 8800GTX, but has 1.5GBs RAM, making it potentially better performing... of course at its price, it's definitely not worth getting unless you do some serious CAD work.

Whoops! :p

I forgot about the FX5600. That this really is a beast. I even clock for clock on the GTX though I doubt it would perform as good in games (remember, games, not 3D development apps).

It would be nice to have all of that memory if I were running at 3840x2400 and above on multiple monitors, but since I'm not (and I doubt the OP is either), I'll stick with GeForce cards (for gaming). :cool:

It would be nice to have a few of those in multiple displays running SLI. Behold, the power of cheese... er, Quadro's! :D

Potentially better, but in practice slightly behind a GTX in DirectX gaming at least, I assume because the drivers are designed for "sensible" OpenGL apps and optimised for precision as much as performance or something like that.

You can still soft mod the 8800 series to a quadro. I modded my 8800 GTS 640 MB to a Quadro 4600. Now I can use the real-view feature in Solidworks. Crysis demo still runs really well with settings at High. Might not be a real quadro but it works. :D

You can still soft mod the 8800 series to a quadro. I modded my 8800 GTS 640 MB to a Quadro 4600. Now I can use the real-view feature in Solidworks. Crysis demo still runs really well with settings at High. Might not be a real quadro but it works. :D

Sweet. I was bummed about not being able to use RealView when I specced out and ordered my new system (parts should all be here Monday). I'll have to look into this more.

(BFG 8800GTS 512)

I recently purchased an nVidia 8800GTS 512 card. Works great for the couple of games I run and alright while running Solidworks 2007 for my own business. I've been trying out Solidworks 2008 before I move all my models to it, and so far the graphics hick-ups are pretty bad, about 1/2 the performance of 2007. At another job I run SW 2007 on a XP64 machine w/8GB ram. We tried out a Quadro FX 4600 and I get a BSOD when working in SW even with the latest drivers. Some other 32bit machines have their own minor issues while showing little improvement when going from ATI 128MB cards. To my point, I would like to try modding my 8800 to improve SW performance. My experience working with the newer Quadro FX cards showed very little improvement for the cash, add to it a major instability with Solidworks on the XP64 platform, no chance I'm gonna make that purchase. KimoCal, can you provide any details to your success modding your 8800?

That's not quite true... the Quadro FX5600 iirc has identical clocks to the 8800GTX, but has 1.5GBs RAM, making it potentially better performing
It simply doesn't. Due to some specific features and optimisations, it's slower in games and faster in CAD stuff when displaying complex models. It's always been that way with the Quadro cards, every generation.

It simply doesn't. Due to some specific features and optimisations, it's slower in games and faster in CAD stuff when displaying complex models. It's always been that way with the Quadro cards, every generation.
I wonder how much of that is by design, meaning, intentional on NVidia's part to segregate their two video lines for purely marketing purposes. It wouldn't make any financial sense for NVidia to have their gaming cards excel in Maya or their Quadro cards be capable of playing Crysis @2560x1600, right? ;)

The cards are indeed slower with gaming than their GeForce gaming counter-parts. They're faster than GeForce at drawing lines and stuff for wireframe/cad work though.

I recently purchased an nVidia 8800GTS 512 card. Works great for the couple of games I run and alright while running Solidworks 2007 for my own business. I've been trying out Solidworks 2008 before I move all my models to it, and so far the graphics hick-ups are pretty bad, about 1/2 the performance of 2007. At another job I run SW 2007 on a XP64 machine w/8GB ram. We tried out a Quadro FX 4600 and I get a BSOD when working in SW even with the latest drivers. Some other 32bit machines have their own minor issues while showing little improvement when going from ATI 128MB cards. To my point, I would like to try modding my 8800 to improve SW performance. My experience working with the newer Quadro FX cards showed very little improvement for the cash, add to it a major instability with Solidworks on the XP64 platform, no chance I'm gonna make that purchase. KimoCal, can you provide any details to your success modding your 8800?

Darn email notification didn't get to me, sorry for the lag but here is what I found and followed from this link. This has worked for others too. My rig that runs SW is the first one in my sig. After doing the mod there are no more artifacts on-screen. This has been tested and works in SW 07 and 08. I just wish I knew how to write a script so I could choose which drivers to load (Quadro drivers or GeForce drivers) when windows is loading. But I haven't subjectively noticed that big of a difference in game play. It really only takes 5 minutes to do this too :)

Please report back if you get a chance to do this.

Cheers

I wonder how much of that is by design, meaning, intentional on NVidia's part to segregate their two video lines for purely marketing purposes. It wouldn't make any financial sense for NVidia to have their gaming cards excel in Maya or their Quadro cards be capable of playing Crysis @2560x1600, right? ;)

No but it plays Crysis SP Demo great on all high settings at 1650 x 1080 :D

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I am going to be building a new workstation soon. I mainly do Solidworks modeling and other engineering software. No gaming at all.

If I can save some money going with a GeForce card that would be nice, but I've read that you don't really get the performance of the Quadros, even with soft-modding.

Have you run any benchmarks to compare how your card does against a real 4600? I'm thinking that going with the real thing might be the best move for me.

Also, I'm wondering if the release of the new GeForce cards means there might be new Quadros coming soon and the current Quadros may drop in price soon. Anyone know?

because they're geared for openGL. The quadro's competition, the fireGL from ati, is well, named for this.

If I can save some money going with a GeForce card that would be nice, but I've read that you don't really get the performance of the Quadros, even with soft-modding.

Backup for that claim?

Have you run any benchmarks to compare how your card does against a real 4600? I'm thinking that going with the real thing might be the best move for me.

I don't have access or want to pay for a real Quadro so I can't do an A/B comparison. But the difference between the standard GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB and when it is soft-modded is night and day. When using it as a GeForce in SW08 I get artifacts all the time. Since using it as soft-modded Quadro I have yet to have any issues and have the Real View working.

What benchmarking software can be utilized to show the difference between the two states? Based upon my real world usage, I'd say try the soft-modded one first and save yourself a butt load of $$$ ($1200+ minimum vs $170 at the Egg + 15 minutes of your time). If it doesn't work for you then return it and get real Quadro.

Also, I'm wondering if the release of the new GeForce cards means there might be new Quadros coming soon and the current Quadros may drop in price soon. Anyone know?

I believe the new 8800 GT 512 MB would be equivalent to the Quadro FX 3600 they recently released as they both have 512 MB on them. Not sure on the 9X00 series cards.

Check out this link where someone else did the same.

For reference my card is the EVGA Super Clocked 8800 GTS 640 MB (640-P2-N825-AR).

Backup for that claim?

I don't have access or want to pay for a real Quadro so I can't do an A/B comparison. But the difference between the standard GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB and when it is soft-modded is night and day. When using it as a GeForce in SW08 I get artifacts all the time. Since using it as soft-modded Quadro I have yet to have any issues and have the Real View working.

What benchmarking software can be utilized to show the difference between the two states? Based upon my real world usage, I'd say try the soft-modded one first and save yourself a butt load of $$$ ($1200+ minimum vs $170 at the Egg + 15 minutes of your time). If it doesn't work for you then return it and get real Quadro.

I believe the new 8800 GT 512 MB would be equivalent to the Quadro FX 3600 they recently released as they both have 512 MB on them. Not sure on the 9X00 series cards.

Check out this link where someone else did the same.

For reference my card is the EVGA Super Clocked 8800 GTS 640 MB (640-P2-N825-AR).

I believe that there was another thread posted here that had a link in it to an article about how to softmod the GeForce cards. In that thread they were talking about how the softmodded cards didn't quite get the same performance as the real thing. Maybe I read it wrong.

However, I think that you bring up a good point. I will probably just order a GeForce and try the softmod. If it doesn't work I will return it and go for the Quadro or FireGL.

Thanks for the help.

Well, I bought a 8800GT and tried to softmod it, but it was a no-go. Apparently RivaTuner doesn't support softmodding this card for some reason. I googled it and found numerous other forums with people trying to softmod and they have the exact same problem as I did.

Namely, low level system tweaks is not available. I wish I knew why, but in the end I decided to just get rid of that card and get a real Quadro 3700. Sure, I'll save some money with a softmod, but I also have CAD work to get done and that is costing me money as well and I didn't want to screw around trying to get another card to work anymore.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else is thinking of going the softmod route. Don't get a 8800GT. Sounds like the 8800GTS might be the way to go if you are set on softmodding.

Back