NVIDIA Quadro FX 4400

Diver

n00b
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
14
Hello all,

Quadro FX 4400 - not the G card - and not 4500.
I have read about the 4400G - that it has a framelock, but now the question is about the 4400.
4400 is i high end graphic card for CAD.
But, can I use this card for video editing and garphic design
Especially video editing needs a lot of rendering, when you apply several heavy effects.
So, what do you suggest?
And also its SLI ready, but do I have to put the same 4400, or could it for example be FX1500 (video edition card) ?
Please help me to find out. Thank you in front.
 
the 4400 can be used for what you need. All quadro's have gen and frame rate lock from what I remember.

you can only use same cards in SLi mode, so if you're getting a 4400 then you have to use another 4400 in SLi ;)
 
Thanks for your reply, razor.

So, does the Quadro FX 4400 work for video, even though its not a special a video edition card?

And about the SLI, since 4400 is one of the top of the line of NVIDIA Quadro cards (at least it was 1½ year ago), will it be fast enough or will two smaller cards like 2 x 1500 be better than one big 4400?
 
You should look into unlocking the quadra features on a 6800 or 7800 and then you get the best of both worlds.
 
Diver said:
Thanks for your reply, razor.

So, does the Quadro FX 4400 work for video, even though its not a special a video edition card?

And about the SLI, since 4400 is one of the top of the line of NVIDIA Quadro cards (at least it was 1½ year ago), will it be fast enough or will two smaller cards like 2 x 1500 be better than one big 4400?


np, if I remember correctly the 2 1500's will be quite a bit faster then a 4400 ;).

Was just looking into these cards a bit, there are only 4 cards that have gen lock and frame lock ability in the last 2 years or so, the 4400g and 3000g (make sure these have a g at the end of em), 5500 quadro fx, and 4500 quadro fx. Sorry for the mis information,

About SL, I suppose if you can drop gen and frame lock, the 1500's will be faster, I really don't like dual card systems for anything ;) so I'm not the best guy to ask.
 
razor1 said:
np, if I remember correctly the 2 1500's will be quite a bit faster then a 4400 ;).

Was just looking into these cards a bit, there are only 4 cards that have gen lock and frame lock ability in the last 2 years or so, the 4400g and 3000g (make sure these have a g at the end of em), 5500 quadro fx, and 4500 quadro fx. Sorry for the mis information,

About SL, I suppose if you can drop gen and frame lock, the 1500's will be faster, I really don't like dual card systems for anything ;) so I'm not the best guy to ask.


Hello Razor

Well, I did read (on nVIDIA homepage) about the G-sync (frame- and genlock).
The cards 4400 and 4400G are identical, except the G-sync (a small add on card).
But, the discription for the 4400, says it s an ultra high end card for CAD and for rendering.
For the G-card, it says something about video broadcast and so...
But, what does the G-sync really mean and what does it really do?
Is it like when you connect your camera to the pc and you want to get a LIVE broadcast?
In my case I am interested in video post production, to import footage to the pc and edit it, with a lot of effects and after that render it.
Nothing about synchronizing here... or what?

I understood about the 1500.

Thanks again.
 
Yeah I don't think you need g sync at all, its purelly for broad casting live from a pc. So I guess any quadro card is good :). The info on nV's site is pretty confusing :p . Anyways back to the orginial so I think the SLi 1500's will be a faster solution for ya, just depends though if the program you are using can take advantage of SLi technology, quite of few video rendering software doesn't, best to check that out before shelling out big bucks.
 
razor1 said:
Yeah I don't think you need g sync at all, its purelly for broad casting live from a pc. So I guess any quadro card is good :). The info on nV's site is pretty confusing :p . Anyways back to the orginial so I think the SLi 1500's will be a faster solution for ya, just depends though if the program you are using can take advantage of SLi technology, quite of few video rendering software doesn't, best to check that out before shelling out big bucks.

Hi there...
Thank you for replying.
Well, logically I agree with you about G-sync - and I hope that we are right.
About the software - I haveall of the latest Ádobe CS pro versions (PC not MAC) and I will build a pc.
Do you think that some software exsists, that helps rendering footage, thats is a support to the 4400? I mean like CAD - but, ths is for rendering 3D projects - so, probobly its a piece of cake to render 2D footage, for such a card?
But again, what about rendering several heavy effects on video footage? sometimes 3 min. clip can render several hours...!!
So do think that the 4400 will work perfect?
And about CPU, what kind of Optheron will match perfectly this card?
I wass thinking the 285 or maybe 2 x 270/275? what is the best?
4GB Ram and about 600/650 power supplie and something like that...
Do you have any inspirational direction?

Cheers and roger.
 
Adobe After effects is accelerated by the gpu. And ya it cuts down time quite a bit :). I would say the 4400 is a better choice.

4 gigs of ram is very very important. CPU wise a dual core opteron 2x 275 is definitly better then a 280. You will get 4 cores running at 2.2 ghz vs 2 cores running at 2.4 ghz :)
 
razor1 said:
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html

Here ya go :) hope this helps on the graphics card side of things ;)

If ya need gen lock and frame lock, the 4400 or 4500 is the best for ya, if not the 7900 gtx would be faster and it has the 512 mb of vram that the 4400 has and is quite a bit less expensive ;)

On the power supply side, you will need something like 600 watts ;)

Thank ya, so much man.
Its a cool link, you gave me.
So, I will consider the 2 x 270/275.
I will see about the graphic card.
Nice talking to you and have a nice weekend.
See ya... :)
 
No body buy this card anymore. The speed and performance doesn't come close to 7900GTX. But its price is higher than 7900GtX
 
Happy Hopping said:
No body buy this card anymore. The speed and performance doesn't come close to 7900GTX. But its price is higher than 7900GtX

I think that you are wrong. The new Adobe collection do recommend the Quadro´s and I read an review about the 4500, that the 4400 is almost the same.
The 7900 sounds like a good gaming card - which is not my interest.
And ofcourse the price is higher than the 7900 - which is my problem.
Cheers.
 
Happy Hopping said:
No body buy this card anymore. The speed and performance doesn't come close to 7900GTX. But its price is higher than 7900GtX

I guess you havn't done any CAD or simmilar work then.
QUADRO's are not meant for gaming, hence their drivers reflect this...

Terra...
 
Back
Top