NVIDIA Pascal Mobile Graphic to be Announced at Gamescom

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Leaked rumor of the day, which is likely true. Some of these mobile parts are looking very stout!

Nvidia's Pascal-based discrete graphics cards for notebooks are expected to be unveiled during Gamescom in Europe, hosted from August 17-21, and notebook players including Asustek Computer, Micro-Star International (MSI), Gigabyte Technology and Clevo will showcase their latest products using the GPUs.

Nice, confirms other rumors about Alienware/Clevo/Sager pulling older models and prepping refreshes.

Nice, confirms other rumors about Alienware/Clevo/Sager pulling older models and prepping refreshes.

Usually I'm not a fan of pulling out.

But in this instance. I'll allow it.

If the specs in this chart are accurate, this is pretty big news. Unless I'm reading the data incorrectly, it looks to me like high-end gaming notebooks will have GPU horsepower identical to desktop PCs with an equivalent GPU model. The mobile and "full" 1060s have identical specs and mobile 1070s are also identical, only clocked a smidge lower! If this pattern holds up for the 1080 as well (same specs with a lower clock speed) true "desktop replacement" gaming notebooks are just around the corner.

If the specs in this chart are accurate, this is pretty big news. Unless I'm reading the data incorrectly, it looks to me like high-end gaming notebooks will have GPU horsepower identical to desktop PCs with an equivalent GPU model. The mobile and "full" 1060s have identical specs and mobile 1070s are also identical, only clocked a smidge lower! If this pattern holds up for the 1080 as well (same specs with a lower clock speed) true "desktop replacement" gaming notebooks are just around the corner.
And there are a lot of folks that have been holding their breath waiting for that to happen for a long time....of course they are all dead now.

According to that it looks like the mobile 1070 would be better than the desktop, not so sure on that. I mean, the only dif is a small underclock to the core which you could easily deal with, just doesn't look true to me, otherwise the mobile has the better specs.

dunno how that's even possible with all the heat output.

i have a thin asus laptop with a gtx960m and it throttles like fuck. There's no way they could put a 1060m close to desktop specs in an ultrabook.

i have a thin asus laptop with a gtx960m and it throttles like fuck. There's no way they could put a 1060m close to desktop specs in an ultrabook.

Who said anything about ultrabooks? I was talking about Desktop Replacement notebooks, (i.e., big, heavy, noisy fans, less than 10 mins runtime on battery) I have a Mythlogic (Clevo) 17" notebook with 2x 980M in SLI that does just fine. It's not whisper quiet whilst gaming but with cans on my ears I don't hear the fans anyway. A single 1080 should perform quite well in such a machine.

I've been seeing a ton of laptops with mobile 900 series GPU's on sale lately. Now it makes plenty of sense. Nvidia is really ramping Pascal up!

I would be willing to bet you're not going to see the mobile cards boosting constantly like the desktop ones do, at least in anything smaller than a giant brick notebook.

It sucks because I just bought a gaming laptop, but I needed it now and not whenever these actually release :(

About to spend 12+ weeks in a hotel in the middle of BFE Oklahoma for work training.

Damn if I can pick up a laptop with a 1060m in it for what the 960ms are Going for I'm so there. Wife wants something to play WOW on that will run It nice but not kill my walet. The 1060m should be on par or better then a 970 gtx desktop. Be able to play damn near anything at 1080p with decent settings.

Nice news -- I've been rocking my MSI Ghost Pro 60 for the past 2 years or so when I'm not at home. 970M chip in it, and it still hauls ass at 1080p. What I love is that the laptop itself is thin/light/solid. I'm not out and about for work as much as I used to be, so sadly the machine sits in my laptop bag mostly unused. When I do go vist family or want to do some gaming at work, it's nice to know it's an option.

Rocking the 1070 on my desktop, mmm

Even with the 970m in my laptop, I can still see that machine lasting me another 3 or 4 years easily.

I've been holding off for the mobile Pascal parts to release. Almost blew it a few times by almost purchasing a 970m equipped i5 quad laptop.

Glad I ultimately waited. I've been wanting 970 to 980 level performance, but with 950 to 965m power draw and heat output.

Back