NVIDIA Pascal Breaches 3 GHz GPU Frequency Record

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The highest clock speed on a graphics chip has been recorded at GALAX GOC. The previous record was 2.80GHz.

The card to breach the 3 GHz barrier was once again, the GALAX GeForce GTX 1060 HOF. The card features a Pascal GP106 core and is only featured on the GeForce GTX 1060 series cards. The same card touched 2.80 GHz on LN2 last month and hitting 3 GHz now really shows that Pascal’s FinFET node and architectural specs allow for a great overclocking chip.

It had hit 3GHz earlier than that in the IHV labs, and 2.8GHz was done many months ago, but this is important news because this was a competition event and not always the most ideal situation to hit those frequencies along with it being multiple teams there hitting it as well.

Cheers

I never understood these things. Wake me when this happens on a someone's daily gamer rig. Until then I'm just not sure this is relevant to almost anyone at all? I'm just not the target audience on this i guess lol.

The thing I love about my 1080's is that they're dialed in nicely and efficient for performance and noise. They hold pretty steadily around 2Ghz during all day gaming sessions.
The thing I don't like is you can tell when experimenting that Pascal would happily go much higher if you could just keep it cooler and of course of ample power. I've gotten these over 2.2 easily but it only lasts for around a minute till temps cause the firmware to bring it down. The firmware starts pulling things back around 60c.
It's impressive for those moments. At Cinema 4k the gpu usage drops by about 10-15% putting them around 85-90% usage instead of near 100 during intensive game renders. They still hold ~60fps w/ nearly every setting maxed in most AAA games but its easy to see how just a little more clock speed would really increase their performance. I even cranked the fans to full and they mostly held 2.1GHz and saw mostly the same performance. It was just really noisy doing that so I usually stick with the factory profile.

They're first component I've used where I could see using something other than air cooling could help but the water solutions I've read about haven't really pushed more than 2.2-2.5 and we're pretty complicated and costly. Most we're only holding ~2.2Ghz. I'd really be interested to know what they used for this 1060/3Ghz.
I've read some stories of people using ported AC air into a case but I don't remember the numbers but I think they were around 2.5Ghz.
I keep thinking an enclosed compressed refrigerant loop system with an external compressor might be useful but its beyond my skills. I've read some impressive blogs across the net for older equipment, almost always CPU's, but nothing pertaining to these Pascals. Considering the size and power restrictions small engine(2-4cyl)cars need, I'm surprised someone hasn't tried using one from one of them.

I never understood these things. Wake me when this happens on a someone's daily gamer rig. Until then I'm just not sure this is relevant to almost anyone at all? I'm just not the target audience on this i guess lol.

Bro, you don't game with LN2? You need to get yourself into a chem lab and get some OC gains, bro.

You're not hardcore unless you're consuming LN2 24/7.
Hehe that reminds me, you seen the video where der8auer extreme OCer spits LN2 out of his mouth?
That should have in big neon letters do not try at home or may end up same way as trying amateur sword swallowing 1st time without professional training :)
Cheers

Back