• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NVidia nForce 410 chipset - EIDE or SATA?

Valnar

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 3, 2001
Messages
4,561
I'm building a new PC for my mother with a Shuttle XPC SN21G5. I've always used Parallel EIDE drives in the past as I read that they were more reliable as boot drives and SATA wasn't quite soup yet. However, that was several years ago. Even my current PC has an EIDE boot drive, though the other two are SATA.

Well, a small Shuttle can only fit a single drive and I wanted to know if SATA technology was now reliable enough to use as a single drive? The chipset on the mobo is the nForce 410 and it supports SATA II.

I would not normally ask and just assume use EIDE and take no chances, as they definitely always work, but in this case, the thinner SATA cable would be a benefit since the case is so small.

Robert
 
Valnar said:
Well, a small Shuttle can only fit a single drive and I wanted to know if SATA technology was now reliable enough to use as a single drive? The chipset on the mobo is the nForce 410 and it supports SATA II.
Yes. Though I do not have any statistical data to back that statement up.
 
Again no stats but I work with literally hundreds of servers and we don't have any issues with SATA drives becoming unbootable or failing at any different rate then a IDE drive. The issues that SATA had are from long ago, the technology is pretty advanced now and the smaller cable is VERY nice to work with as an added bonus.
 
eth00 said:
Again no stats but I work with literally hundreds of servers and we don't have any issues with SATA drives becoming unbootable or failing at any different rate then a IDE drive. The issues that SATA had are from long ago, the technology is pretty advanced now and the smaller cable is VERY nice to work with as an added bonus.

Got it. Thanks guys. Ordering the Shuttle + SATA drive now...

Robert
 
Back
Top