Nvidia killed the PPU star

It is a "light" option giving only "pseudo"-physics, compared to the physics-acceleration AGEIA's solution provide.

Terra - That's all I am saying...read beyond the marketing-PR...

like i said, someone gives you a dollar, and youll bitch its not 5

i think the difference here is that you have an appreciation for mediocracy.

SatinSpiral said:
i think a problem that hasn't yet been addressed in the discussion is that effects physics can create a lot more particles on the screen, thereby creating much more work for the graphics card. doing the physics on the graphics card is like the hardware shooting itself in the foot. the graphics card creates more work for itself, while at the same time reducing its ability to cope with the added workload.

This was always brought up in earlier PPU arguments, but always kept getting sidetracked for some reason. Or simply getting ignored.

Jason711 said:
i think the difference here is that you have an appreciation for mediocracy.

and what exactly is a mediocracy? a nation governed by non-intellectual average joes?
wait a minute... we live in a mediocracy! :p

but i agree with you, mediocrity isn't the path we should be striving for when introducing hardware physics into personal computing. having graphics vendors get in on the hardware physics game though Havok FX is just going to muddle support for Novodex, the only "true" API built for total (not just effects) hardware physics support. this could set us back a year or two in industry support for PhysX.

Personally guys, I think this is a stepping stone. I've got a suspicion, that PhysX may be still born.

If (and I'm sure it will) does slow down the gaphics engine a ton, you can bet that nVidia will have specialized hardware dedicated to physics sooner rather than later.

Jason711 said:
i was, the physics currently suck, they always have. plus, game developers continue to avoid using circles.. (except q3)... i hate things that are made to represent circles, but are not circles, it looks like shit.

i want all the realism i can get, period. sorry if your happy with shit.

Man this made me laugh... Game developers are avoiding circles at all costs! OMG it's a circle! Run! AHHHH!

Circles don't exist in a polygonal world. They are always approximations using as many lines as the engine and hardware will allow. More proccessing power gives developers more freedom to make circles! Go processing power!

docmal said:
Man this made me laugh... Game developers are avoiding circles at all costs! OMG it's a circle! Run! AHHHH!

Circles don't exist in a polygonal world. They are always approximations using as many lines as the engine and hardware will allow. More proccessing power gives developers more freedom to make circles! Go processing power!

CIRCLES FTW! :D

I think the whole GPU doing PPU work thing is a marketing ploy that won't last. They are just doing it to slow down sales of the PPU and increase sales of Nvidia and ATI's GPU's as well as SLI/Crossfire boards.

Nvidia and ATI often seem to announce their "next great product" right before the release of competeing products to get you to hold out for their's.

I would say to get the PPU, because if anything makes it in this area it will be that. Wait 6 months to a year though for the prices to drop. At some point Ageia will drop their prices because it will be clear that the best way to sell them is to have developer support, and the best way to get developer support is to sell them, and so they will drop prices to sell more to get developer support so they can raise prices again.

Back