Nvidia K1 Shield Tablet

Shield tablet casing cracking around the edges due to heat spreading from normal use. Make sure you check your device and ask for a replacement if it's affected.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/766370/shield-tablet/cracked-edges/

IMG_20140808_113706465_HDR.jpg

Yeah, mine is starting to do this also. Very disappointing. Nvidia is offering to exchange them, no questions asked. I'm going to wait until they figure out what causes it and hopefully they will redesign and replace that weak plastic shell with something higher quality before I request my replacement. It's only cosmetic so I'm not too worried about it yet.

So how is everyone liking the Shield after using it for a while? I'm thinking of getting one and selling my G Pad. A friend is going to swap tablets with me for a few days to see how much I'll like it. He's not super crazy about it so I maybe able to work out a trade.

So how is everyone liking the Shield after using it for a while? I'm thinking of getting one and selling my G Pad. A friend is going to swap tablets with me for a few days to see how much I'll like it. He's not super crazy about it so I maybe able to work out a trade.

I bought one on launch day to replace my aging GNex10. I was verry happy with it until I read about the crack issue. Lo and behold when I checked mine, it had a crack. Also the power and volume buttons were a pain to use with little to no feedback. My wifi was okay using the Asus RTN66R 5ghz.It would fluctuate but nothing showstopping. Well today, I decided to get a replacement from Gamestop. I dont know if it was a first bad batch, different factory or what but this one is a definite improvement. The power/volume buttons are spot on, wifi is more consistent only dropping to 150mbps were it would sometimes bottom at 24mbps. No cracks out the box and I have run quite a few benches to get it hot. Seems to bench higher under Davlik as I havent changed to ART yet like I did with the last one.Time will tell as the last one had a crack in less than a week of usage. Is there any way to tell batch, plant , etc?? So far so good!

Finally got my NVIDIA controller and was able to play some PC games via gamestream and grid beta. All I can say is Wow!! This is a serious piece of hardware and I'm sure it will only get better. Very impressive. They really should bundle the the controller. Nothing comes close.

Anyone else getting abysmal battery life in standby? I unplugged it from my charger at %100 and now 12 hours later after it having no open apps and not using it at all it's at %31.

So I finally got to spend a weekend trying out the Shield. All in all I'm not impressed. The issues I found were, 1- screen is really lacking in color reproduction. 2-its so thick it makes it very hard to hold with one hand. 3- runs VERY hot while gaming as in uncomfortable to hold hot. 4- noticeable lag which could probably be eliminated by using a different launcher.

So for me I'm sticking with my LG G Pad 8.3. Although in benchmarks and gaming it flies it seems not so fluid in everyday tasks. If I had extra $ I would buy one just for gaming. So in my opinion for what it was designed for it does its job very well aside from ergonomics.

I returned the tab this AM to my buddy who was kind of sad to swap back. We both share the same feeling about the issues I brought up. If anyone is looking to buy a Shield in southern Ct he listed it on Craigslist for $250.

My local PC shop just got some more shield tablets in stock. Is there a way to tell if it's a newer revision?

Back