nVidia ! hmm ...

lightp2

Gawd
I meant the following with honesty

1. nVidia has been in hardware business for so long

2. They cannot get over the fact that they need to produce the next superior GPU

3. Therefore I think they may have missed a "GOLDEN Opportunity"

4. I understand cannot blame anybody because it is too wild a dream

5. They recognize the imminent issues with the Intel/AMD platform integration, however, they did not instill enough focus, urgency and priority, plus got dragged down with other issues. Fairness to others, mostly nVidia's own faults.

6. By now, it should be obvious mobile computing is "extremely" critical to nVidia.

7. nVidia did not put extreme focus on mobile prior to now. If nVidia had done the right thing all along, a superb opportunity exists
WHY?

7a - You can read the forum, end of the days, the MOST consistent reason radiating among the binary view of forum posts everywhere, "I like nVidia due to its mostly consistent and functioning drivers with minimal software issues"

7B - The following one is the EXTREMELY Important related to Tegra-series

7B-1. If nVidia had positioned itself well with Tegra-series implementations, after Apple's stomp on the three fronts, every member of the Tech industry is well aware of the consequences. nVidia could have a grand opening if Tegra-series excels.

7B-2. If nVidia had Tegra-series extremely focused and ready on the go, seeing nobody could reply Apple leaving an empty field for so long, nVidia could have boldly take the next step of laaunching a Tegra2-series Tablets all by itself!

7B-3 by the time others have proper response, Apple and nVidia could have sold ten's of million units where Apple sits at High-End and nVidia sits on mid to low-end tablets segments, with a new Software Revenue! Even if nVidia hesitates on intruding into too many fronts, it could have produce a WHIITEBOX version where others can re-label and bring to market quickly after Apple's launch.

7B-4 But because nVidia faced so many issues it missed its focus, well I know some will not forget so I repeat, due to nVidia's own faults, again to save others the additional paragraphs.

7B-4 So nVidia likely missed this golden opportunity once and for all. It can only think itself as hardware maker, not boldly go where Apple has gone before!

well hmm, I have done my part enough, ... time to rest... :)

Last edited:
Intel Itanium -- Epic plan to bring down Alpha, MIPS, PARISC, more

Intel Larrabee -- Epic plan to bring down --> your guess?

Intel ATOM-series plus all the future SoC -- Epic plan to bring down --> your guess ?

There is no escape ...

Hi ScYcS

Yep and sorry for the random part :), and yes finally thanks for the nomination! I just choose a random thread to dump all the nVidia related stuff together, the following is a revamp update post

1. I still think it is not too late to try the following

2. Tegra/Tegra2/TegraX ... I understand is originally targeted at mobile/smartphone

3. I understand a lot of people pump all kind of statements against Tegra-series, yep that includes me as well, ... :)

4. However, I also noted, as postulated in previous thread elsewhere

4a. nVidia has done NVRAID before
4b. nVidia currently has no serious chipset to hold on to
4c. Data Storage Forks seem to like spending a lot of $$ for Controller Cards
4d. Tegra-series, note here i say Tegra-series, not Geforce. Tegra-series is actually a generic purpose SoC with High-Clock potential.
4e. If it is a generic purpose CPU, it can be programmed to do RAID.
4f. If it is custom designed into Add-On Card to be installed into PCI-Express slot, then you can ramp up the speed as high as you wish without worry about power usage, considering it was meant for SmartPhone and now installed into PCI-E express x16 slot.
4g. Point 4f is to address forks claiming Tegra not designed for custom RAID processors. A 2GHz+ Tegra2 dual-core should be able to do reasonable RAID just fine, I supposed. Maybe you can overclock as well, no?
4h. Put on a custom firmware, and you've got a reasonable RAID card. To design a PCI-Express x16 card with memory, SATA ports, heat dissipation, RAID engine code, all looks like doable based on existing nVidia knowledge.

4i. Move inventories
4j. Profit ???

Wildcard -- This seems like sensible fit for the Alternative Platforms' need for data center grade ecosystem, reasonable ?

Last edited:
Dear Readers,

I hope you read series of posts with open mind.

1. One thing is for sure, some times the writing is slightly pointed but I do not have any negative intention per this series.

2. Dea nVidian, one thing you can learn from Dell.

2a. Dell entered bid for 3Par, decision went the other way, yet Dell still walks with a lot of financial gains from that engagement.

2b. I have no knowledge about how tech works, but maybe it is now time to evaluate similar stratety, hopefully besides plan A, there's plan B and perhaps plan C.

2c. Sometimes competition un-avoidable, the things that you value/excels are ruthlessly aimed by the competitors.

2d. And then there are other issues, for example, how come I don't have facility that will output my design with maximum efficiency without issues year in year out? There are endless reasons, not easily understood, but overall, the situation is as it is.

2e. Another thing worth noting, when the Red team was severely under stress, you could hear die-hard fans say "I will pay for it just to keep the competition goings..(in the days of 29xx and 3xxx),and I can't imagine the day without the presence of fiery GPUs"

2f. Switch the focus to recent days, I try to search for the same perseverance, but few show it with the same enthusiastic spirit of the Red fans.

2g. Again, nVidia is not in immediate worry. The overall hardware/software combination still good and will last for sometimes.

2h. One thing I think a lot of people agree, nVidia software continuously engages to create new possibilities, observes the nature, even under most challenging conditions, some living things strive to find a space for survival, and blossoms.

Hi lightp2,

I agree that nvidia is in a difficult position right now. They have not gained a lot of business in the mobile market, their chipset business is no longer as big as it used to be, and Intel is increasingly dominating these markets as well as moving in graphics. They are still doing well with GPU sales, but this may not last forever.

Your analysis is a lot more thorough than mine.

---

On an unrelated note, I can tell that English is not your first language. Your syntax and and grammar are generally good, but your writing style is somewhat unusual for a native English speaker. This is partly why ScYcS said your post was random.If you are interested in some constructive advice for making posts, here is mine:

Think of the most important point your are trying to make, and state it at the beginning of your post in 2 or 3 sentences. In formal English writing, this is known as a "thesis statement". This will help people understand the context of your post as soon as the start reading it, and subsequently make it less "random". You can also put a very short version of your thesis as the thread title.

The rest of your post can be evidence/reasoning which backs up your original point. Try to condense your reasoning into 3 or 4 major ideas, which you will write in paragraphs. A paragraph might be be 3 to 5 sentences long. Right now you are numbering your all your ideas (1, 2, 3, 4, etc), which is OK, but it is definitely an unusual writing style and can be difficult to understand.

If your post becomes really long, consider editing it to shorten the post, or even removing some of it. You can always post these ideas in a later post.

I think the best advice is to keep posting, and also take note of the writing style that other posters have.

Hi JimmyB
1. Appreciate your suggestions!
2. I am not a native English speaker, and basically English is not a regular need for a very long time so I apologize for the short-coming.
3. Yes I agree I should spend some times clearing up posts before posting. My issues are as follow.
3a. Refer to point-2 above.
3b. A lot of times these posts are those momentarily flashes kind of ideas/circumstances. I felt many times after posting I completely loss the very critical observation why I wanted to write them in such a way in the 1st place.
3c. Therefore I just pump out those posts with minimal delay where possible and hope I can come back to my senses to clean them up later.

My apology again. Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I will try to follow them. You are the only person replying in this nvidia thread. [sorry I forgot ScYcS] what I meant is you reply directly to me. In my way of observation, you have the karmic relation with nVidia. nVidia is not a bad company, probably a few debates and missteps, but still very much doable.

BTW, no I have no relationship with nVidia. I have too much free time thus reading/commenting on things in the Tech industry basically to keep myself focus and maybe contribute opinions/help if ok.

Cheers

Last edited:
The inquirer reports about 40nm Dual-Core ARM A9 2.0GHz 2W by Chinese Firm NuFront.

Before anybody posts "WTF does this have to do with nVidia?"

See in the article

"Nufront said that it is working on getting the open source operating systems Ubuntu and Android to run on its SoC."

end quote

You see the clear pattern, the ARM chips are coming everywhere, even from the Chinese, the only missing things now is the fact that software takes a little bit more effort.

Therefore, issue the ARM software alliance group is trying to address

with respect to this thread, the following
" Software, one strength of nVidia's environment. "

And the full force of x86 industry is trying maximum speed/strength scale to pump MeeGo out of the door. I left further info out as I read somewhere today, spoiler not allowed.

ARM, the need for software professionals. As a sidenote for OSS, this clearly demonstarte a need for more than free, even with the volume of ARM SoC shipment figures.

Just to clarify I am neutral on this issue. Good and Free MeeGo86/ARMbuntu tablets (with quality screen) are perfectly fine with me.

Cheers

note: wrt overall thread, if nVidia had its Tegra-series ecosystem fully ready, it could have an extremely wide implication everywhere. OK. I add this just so it is consistent with the forum's nature. Non-Intel/AMD CPU, here we are looking at Tegra as a whole.

Last edited:
Does this Nufront plan on launching MiniITX boards with this core? If not I could care less.. Nobody seems to get it other than TI that we want desktop boards with ARM.

Dear Zachstar,

My only info about NuFront is from the article. I think later other sites also publish more news about them. However, I do not have any detail.

1st to answer original question, no I do not know where to find the desktop.

Next, allow me a lengthy reply. In this particular post, I just like to reply to you on the desktop aspect.

I believe this is a logical explanation, but I am not saying it is universal truth.

1. Currently, every reasonable tech person agrees that x86 holds the top in most categories.

2. The points are also translated in physical realities. In financial, manufacturing, channels, so many more.

3. Due to abundance of x86 desktop performance, cost and varied offerings, even in the lowest cost segment against other architectures, it follows that you cannot have enough volume to compete with it.

4. Without volume, if you go ask manufacurers (which are mostly Chinese and Taiwanese), you do not have pricing advantage. Since ARM in desktop is virtually none against x86, these will be custom orders by default, much higher rate with a lot of uncertainties.

5. I think very few are financially ready to commit such order for ARm desktop shipments, seeing the ARM struggling with software readiness issues on tablets push.

6. other ARM houses do custom orders like the pogoplug type of situations where you have most consolidated into very compact package so your overhead in other area is greatly reduced, also reducing the risks in many areas. The total cost is also not very high relatively so more peace of mind in case lesser public reception.

7. The ARM-based SmartPhone is very different because SmartPhone by nature are created with volume users in mind and larger expectation (due to Phone company plan subsidies), so many are not afraid to push resources into it, that includes hardware as well.

Finally, yes, the Chinese is the major exception here.

The following is very frank observation and I hope you can see it as well.

1. The Chinese currently has the manufacturing expansion.
2. They are also sitting at a lower tier of the spectrum, therefore williness and not afraid to engage in forward looking oppurtunities
3. And it happens that this ARM processor is not really critical on maximum performance, but combination of many factors, which allows much higher of freedom for success, as oppose to Fab race.
4. Chinese has lower-income population as market basis. There are a lot of older fabs in the world. They do not need to continue spend yearly high billions because they can survive on cheaper combination of business environment, a lot can be turned to produce cheaper products, a fact seldom considers by the arguing techgineer frequent in forums because they only see Intel/GF/TSMC and nothing else.
5. With the right mix, it might be able to pursue this desktop if software issue can be addressed to enterprise/professional level, the supposed strength of current leading tech firms.

Back