Nvidia hdmi surround sound not working?

hdgamer

Gawd
Just got my surround sound hooked up and sounds great. But when playing 5.1 movies through my pc which is hooked up to my GTX480 via HDMI cable, my computer does not recognize it as a 5.1 source. Instead when I go into the hdmi audio driver, just recognizes it as a 2 channel source.

Anyone else have this problem? Does surround not work with Nvidia?

The only Nvidia GPU that supports HD audio bitstreaming is the GTX460 and you have to use paid media playing software to do so. Everything else will simply do stereo.

Thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to run the Digital Coaxial cable to my TV now. My optical is being used in the computer room to my current surround and the coaxial will be used to run the surround in the living room. Sucks because I spent alot of time wiring my hdmi cable all nice and neat into the other room.

Also does it make a difference if I run the sound off my motherboard or should I get a soundcard? I would think that since I'm running high end recievers that would be plenty... but does a soundcard do anything that I would want?

Sound from motherboard should be fine unless you want a high end sound card that can do HD audio bitstreaming. Even then it would be a waste because even a $40 Radeon HD 5450 can do HD audio bitstreaming and playback 1080p blu-rays without breaking a sweat.

Um ok slow down folks.

First of all The 480 can do 7.1 LPCM if it is not showing it as such you need to reinstall drivers.

Second mobo audio cant do 5.1 in games it is only PCM 2 out or Dolby Digital,WMA,DTS

Back