Nvidia has "Unlaunched" the RTX 4080 12GB

Rumors are that renamed card will stay the same and the price is going to drop. From the leaked specs on the 4070, calling it a Ti makes the most sense as the specs are same but it has a nice clock boost compared to the 4070.

It will probably be a "4070 Ti", but it should be a 4060 Ti. Way too weak to be a **70 Ti.

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Calling it a "4070 TI" and it will have the same problem as calling it a 4080 12GB. Way too weak for what it is supposed to be, with a price tag way too high.

Think about it logically for a minute...

Nvidia themselves were not going to release the 12Gb 4080, it was going to be an AIB only item.

Why do you think that is?

I bet it was one of the AIB's who said "let's make this card here a '4080' in name and jack up the price...", and Nvidia agreed to help them deal with the 3xxx stock that needs moved. So the 4080 12Gb gets announced, fools no one, Nvidia has to finally say this was a bad idea, and here we are.

It only makes sense to even do it to help AIB's keep moving the old 3xxx stock, and that includes the pricing.

Rumors are that renamed card will stay the same and the price is going to drop. From the leaked specs on the 4070, calling it a Ti makes the most sense as the specs are same but it has a nice clock boost compared to the 4070.
I doubt the AiB have the ability to make that call. Let alone come together to agree on name it a 4080. It was all Nvidia.

I doubt the AiB have the ability to make that call. Let alone come together to agree on name it a 4080. It was all Nvidia.
Although I agree with you - Nvidia already lost one major partner, I'd say the remaining AIBs would have a bit more influence at this point. How much more and to what angle though? Who knows...

Although I agree with you - Nvidia already lost one major partner, I'd say the remaining AIBs would have a bit more influence at this point. How much more and to what angle though? Who knows...
From what we been hearing about how Nvidia is like they don't give a f*** what the AiB want and that hasn't changed with EVGA leaving. Nvidia doesn't need any of them.

Ya Nvidia doesn't care much about the AIBs. Also most of the stock isn't in AIB warehouses its in wholesalers.
As much as the AIBs where selling direct to miners and may be sitting on some stock... the middle man wholesalers where doing that x10. Companies like Ingram Micro are sitting on $$$ of 3000s.
If the AIBs where worried at all it would be that companies like IM would simply not order any mid range 4000s. If IM doesn't order something the mircocenters and bestbuys of the world don't have them, none of those companies buy direct from AIBs.

Ya Nvidia doesn't care much about the AIBs. Also most of the stock isn't in AIB warehouses its in wholesalers.
As much as the AIBs where selling direct to miners and may be sitting on some stock... the middle man wholesalers where doing that x10. Companies like Ingram Micro are sitting on $$$ of 3000s.
If the AIBs where worried at all it would be that companies like IM would simply not order any mid range 4000s. If IM doesn't order something the mircocenters and bestbuys of the world don't have them, none of those companies buy direct from AIBs.
That'd only be an effective threat if all midleman companies carried it out and NVidia also refused to sell directly to large retailers. There's too much money to be made for large retailers selling new GPUs for them not to order from someone other than their normal supplier if for some reason they decide they're not going to carry NVidia any more.

That'd only be an effective threat if all midleman companies carried it out and NVidia also refused to sell directly to large retailers. There's too much money to be made for large retailers selling new GPUs for them not to order from someone other than their normal supplier if for some reason they decide they're not going to carry NVidia any more.
Large retailers do NOT ever buy direct. Ok not ever but basically never. Best Buy basically buys 99% of their stock from IM. That includes GPUs they aren't making an exception cause Nvidia wants them to buy direct form them. They deal with IM, its all just in time delivery. Nvidia isn't going to be selling direct because companies like BB have pretty iron clad solid contracts with their suppliers. IM isn't going to hold millions in inventory for the big box players if they are going to be going and buying direct. All the big players stopped trying to warehouse their own product 20 years back... IM will do it for a song, and they make money by being efficient and holding product for multiple box stores like MC and BB as well as tons of regionals.

Nvidia is absolutely concerned about what companies like IM are doing. IM as an example does around 50 billion a year in sales... at like 4% margin. There is no way in hell they are buying 4000s if Nvidia doesn't agree to buy back the 3000s they are sitting on... or seriously rebate them so they can move them. (or do what they are doing now... release high end 4000s ONLY till the 3000s move) There are only a small handful of companies like IM that basically supply 99% of the tech industry. Those companies did get greedy during the mining boom. The 10s of millions in GPUs sitting in their warehouse doubled because they where crazy enough to start selling direct to larger mine operations. That stock now has to move its as simple as that... they don't make enough margin to write that many GPUs off. (also IM buys Nvidia founders cards... they wouldn't be in stores like BB if they didn't)

Last edited:
I really hope they haven't shipped any 4080/12gb chipsets to partners yet. Can you imagine of Asus or Gigabyte already has a bunch of these made?
Supposedly PNY has them already to go. You can pre-order them.

Wonder if any AIBs molded the now-defunct model number directly into the fan shroud...

I mean, I assume not, considering how late the decision on the naming schema was. But it's possible some marketroid was waiting for the release presentation with bated breath, so he could find out which of one of a handful of predesigned CAD files he was going to shoot over to some CNC shop to be milled into a form for injection molding.

But, again -- probably not.

Wonder if any AIBs molded the now-defunct model number directly into the fan shroud...

I mean, I assume not, considering how late the decision on the naming schema was. But it's possible some marketroid was waiting for the release presentation with bated breath, so he could find out which of one of a handful of predesigned CAD files he was going to shoot over to some CNC shop to be milled into a form for injection molding.

Nah AIB's are all about generic reuse at this stage, custom moldings add costs they try to avoid where ever possible.
Yet they haven't figured out I would pay extra for a 4090 with a total lack of flair and RGB with a boring name like "Nvidia RTX 4090"

Nah, if they're going to advertise the card they're going to hook up a tiny LCD that does RGB and costs an extra $10-20 to the card all so they can charge you an extra $200

GN claims it's being relaunched with a new name and price at CES.
If I recall my tax law correctly, this could be very painful to nvidia or their partners. Why? Depending on the state the inventory is sold in, any inventory that has not moved after the end of the tax year is subject to inventory taxes, and regardless, the cost of purchasing said inventory cant be written off as an expense if it is sitting in a warehouse. It's an asset.

Depending when the purchase was booked, vs when the inventory was shipped out and when the financial year end is of the particular company, there could be some hefty tax bills and certainly defer expenses reporting from one tax year to another depending on companies fiscal year end date.

If I recall my tax law correctly, this could be very painful to nvidia or their partners. Why? Depending on the state the inventory is sold in, any inventory that has not moved after the end of the tax year is subject to inventory taxes, and regardless, the cost of purchasing said inventory cant be written off as an expense if it is sitting in a warehouse. It's an asset.

Depending when the purchase was booked, vs when the inventory was shipped out and when the financial year end is of the particular company, there could be some hefty tax bills and certainly defer expenses reporting from one tax year to another depending on companies fiscal year end date.
I doubt any of these cards to be rebadged are subject to US taxes yet.

This is not correct. A product which has been neither launched nor even announced would not be subject to inventory taxes.

I feel the 4080 12gb strategy was 2-fold (without going into the not competing with Ampere stocks too much affair has well), increase how much you sell a 4070TI and also increase how much you sell the 4080.

The reaction and AMD pricing should change both, so I would imagine a significant reduction from the announced 4080 12gb price and a way to reduce the 4080 once the early adopter selling occur, maybe a 4080 TI launch, if the 2.9 ghz boost clock numbers coming from Chinese message board number are representative the Ti with 10% more core enabled could maybe keep up with the 7900xtx.

the $730 best Asus TUF 3070TI and $1000 Asus TUF3080 Ti are among the best selling one on newegg, so I could imagine them if the situation do not change much go around $830-850.

It is a bit strange to go look at current price to have some idea, may AMD 7900 come with volume to shake things....

It doesn't make sense to me that the 4080 would become the 4070Ti. Ti is supposed to be reserved for higher clocked, better yield, refresh models mid-cycle. It makes sense to me to have it turned into a regular "4070" but not "Ti". They also need enough space between it and the "new" 4080. The 7900XT/XTX will still eat its lunch if not. And I think nVidia is having to remake its upper level tiered card plans.

But whatever, maybe I'm being too "logical" about it. These numbering and naming systems are pretty arbitrary anyway.

It doesn't make sense to me that the 4080 would become the 4070Ti. Ti is supposed to be reserved for higher clocked, better yield, refresh models mid-cycle.
It kind of make sense because the 4080 12gb was 100% using the die, so it would make a logical TI of the binned 4070 of the non 100% AD104, if you do not make it the TI, the 4070TI would require to be on down AD103

Hopefully. The 4080 16GB isn't super impressive compared to the 3080 if the new leaked benchmarks are anything to go by. All while I just saw the 6800XT drop down to $530 on NE today and AMD is offering 2 free games on all cards thru next Feburary.
Leaked performance puts the 4080 16gb about 15% faster than the 3090 TI on average, give or take. So not "super impressive" but still no slouch.

It kind of make sense because the 4080 12gb was 100% using the die, so it would make a logical TI of the binned 4070 of the non 100% AD104, if you do not make it the TI, the 4070TI would require to be on down AD103
I feel like that's trading one problem for another then. If they used 100% of the die and weren't "just" going to rely on clocks and yields, then what were they supposed to do for the "original" 4080Ti mid-cycle refresh? I guess it doesn't matter, 'cause this theoretical part will never exist. It just seems to me either way they didn't plan this well.

It also begs the question of what they're going to do for the "new" 4080. Cut a 4090 down like crazy? Considering that the 4090's have sold out and they won't have more capacity until early spring, that would be a terrible move. Obviously it would be far better to keep cranking 4090's with much higher margin rather than cut it down.

As we all know, it's not like they can just "magically" pop out another chip. Engineering takes a lot of time, as does the qualification process and testing. If they need an all new chip, between design and spin up, I don't think they'd be able to have something ready for at minimum a year. And that would be at break neck speed.

I feel like that's trading one problem for another then. If they used 100% of the die and weren't "just" going to rely on clocks and yields, then what were they supposed to do for the "original" 4080Ti mid-cycle refresh? I guess it doesn't matter, 'cause this theoretical part will never exist. It just seems to me either way they didn't plan this well.
The 4080 does not use all the AD103 die, the 4080 TI could simply use all of it(or use a more cut version of the AD102 if pushed by AMD to do so), this generation could make more sense than usual (i.e all 4080 on the same die, all 4070 and so on)

The 4080 does not use all the AD103 die, the 4080 TI could simply use all of it(or use a more cut version of the AD102 if pushed by AMD to do so), this generation could make more sense than usual (i.e all 4080 on the same die, all 4070 and so on)
You misunderstand me. The "old" 4080 is now becoming the "new" 4070Ti. So if that's the case, what would've been the "old" 4080Ti? Or am I missing something here?

I guess I would have to know more about all of the dies, but in terms of the "new" 4080, I guess you've answered where that's coming from.

You misunderstand me. The "old" 4080 is now becoming the "new" 4070Ti. So if that's the case, what would've been the "old" 4080Ti? Or am I missing something here?
That the old 4080 12gb, the actual 4080 (16gb) has yet to change

The old and new 4080TI could be a full AD103
The 4080 16gb will continue to be the announced cut down 103
The old 408012gb rumored 4070TI would be the full AD104
The yet to be announced 4070 will be a cut down AD104

Hopefully. The 4080 16GB isn't super impressive compared to the 3080 if the new leaked benchmarks are anything to go by. All while I just saw the 6800XT drop down to $530 on NE today and AMD is offering 2 free games on all cards thru next Feburary.
The issue is Nvidia and AMD cards are at a point where they practically exist in separate universes. 6800XT could drop to $100 and it wouldn't even cause a ripple in RTX pricing. There's a big enough marketshare and mindshare disparity that RTX cards are mostly just competing with each other, which is great for getting a price-perf deal on AMD if you're paying attention. But it seems like not enough are.

It will probably be a "4070 Ti", but it should be a 4060 Ti. Way too weak to be a **70 Ti.

View attachment 518973

Calling it a "4070 TI" and it will have the same problem as calling it a 4080 12GB. Way too weak for what it is supposed to be, with a price tag way too high.

At least my card still made the list!!!!! albeit.. very very top, ready to fall off the list!!! :D:ROFLMAO:😂🤣

Well they scrapped the 4080 boxes for the 4070ti so all they had to do is print 4070ti boxes. I'm personally interested in the card since it's lower TDP and upgrade from 3070.

The issue is Nvidia and AMD cards are at a point where they practically exist in separate universes. 6800XT could drop to $100 and it wouldn't even cause a ripple in RTX pricing. There's a big enough marketshare and mindshare disparity that RTX cards are mostly just competing with each other, which is great for getting a price-perf deal on AMD if you're paying attention. But it seems like not enough are.
I think Nvidia can rest on their "RTX laurels" as something the competition doesn't have, it doesn't help matters (for the consumer) that Nvidia's flagship products show case how great the FPS is with everything turned on such that consumers actually buy that and think when they get their low end RTX card they'll be able to roll with it too.

Back