NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Breakdown

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Breakdown

We are preparing to water cool our 1080 Ti with both Phanteks G1080 and XSPC Razer Neo waterblocks and we wanted to share with you the process of disassembling the video card so it can accept the waterblock. This process is very much the same for all current editions of the 10XX Founders Edition series GPUs.

That is an amazing looking waterblock. It seems like it was primarily designed for use in the newer glass cases where the cards sit on risers perpendicular to the motherboard.

Only thing, I wish more blocks came with the thermal pads pre-cut and pre-applied.

Ok so I’ve worked in electronic manufacturing and I own a 1080ti so maybe I’m biased, but seeing that naked PCB, what a well designed card. The layout is just sexy.

I can’t wait to see that shiny bling block bolted onto that thing. And more importantly, the results.

I mounted Heatkiller blocks on my 1080Tis, I was fortunate to lay my hands on one founders edition and one MSI Aero edition during the release of the cards when they were scarce.

I have to agree the FE has a zillion little tiny screws, a couple of which rolled off the table. It's not hard, just tedious.
The Aero was much easier to break down.

Watercooling is the way to go on these cards. They OC very nicely when cooled. The Heatkiller blocks are very nice as well......but I had to order them direct from Germany, no one had them here.

That is an amazing looking waterblock. It seems like it was primarily designed for use in the newer glass cases where the cards sit on risers perpendicular to the motherboard.

Only thing, I wish more blocks came with the thermal pads pre-cut and pre-applied.

Both Heatkiller and EK waterblocks are supplied with pre-cut thermal pads when you buy their blocks.
Their instructions are also very detailed and easy to understand.

Rendering out the video of the Phanteks G1080 right now. There instuctions are a bit off which was disappointing. But easy to recover.

Watercooling is the way to go! My Titan XP gained like 5-10% without doing anything over than the water. Overclocking just mad it insane!

Back