Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 EVGA Cards Reportedly Catching Fire & Dying Due To VRMs Overheating

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Added a chart to show affected SKUs. 22 of them including some GTX 1060 models.

Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 EVGA Cards Reportedly Catching Fire & Dying Due To VRMs Overheating.
Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 EVGA Cards Reportedly Catching Fire & Dying Due To VRMs Overheating

EVGA MOSFET Failure Possible From Runaway Thermal Scenario. Professional overclocker Buildzoid chimes in on GamersNexus.
EVGA MOSFET Failure Possible From Runaway Thermal Scenario

Add in the recent GTX 1070 Micron memory bios fiasco and it's been some tumultuous months for the Nvidia brand.
Nvidia GTX 1070 Memory Issue To Be Addressed Via BIOS Update

There are Reddit links in the article to users with the issue. Thanks TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel has an older thread also.
ACX GTX 1070 & 1080 VRM thermal issues

I guess that the EVGA 1080 & 1070 cards are the Note 7 of the GPU world. Guess that Founder's Edition tax was worth it? :) :) :)

EVGA page with a list of affected cards, bios, etc.
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Added this chart to show which are affected.
EVGA: 22 GeForce GTX 10 models are affected by PWM operating temperature issue.
http://videocardz.com/64084/evga-22...e-affected-by-pwm-operating-temperature-issue

upload_2016-11-2_11-36-39-png.9771

Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1070-EVGA-FTW-VRMs-Catching-Fire-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a GTX 460 burn up in a similar spot. This is not new.

It's fixable with VRM pads that EVGA will send to you as a DIY fix or you can send them the card to install them. Seems that someone at EVGA thought it could save some money by excluding them from their design.

Damn. I thought about gettings one of those 1070 cards too because they're on sale (and by sale I mean MSRP) on newegg and amazon. Well i'll definitely hold off and do some homework now!

Catches fire too? At 100C? I dont think so. the VRMs are rated much higher as well (125C).

Perhaps combined with overclocking, sure. Not fire tho ;)

Catches fire too? At 100C? I dont think so. the VRMs are rated much higher as well (125C).

I mean, i had actually almost fried VRMs on my old card, so all it takes is shitty in-case environment and overclocking, really.

If you read the entire original post you would see that it mentions Micron specifically. Mainly because their VRM's are only rated to 95C, not 125.

If you read the entire original post you would see that it mentions Micron specifically. Mainly because their VRM's are only rated to 95C, not 125.

Micron is memory, not VRM. And they would simply make artifacts long before dying.

Damn, well thanks for the info OP. I will be looking elseware at the first of the year when purchasing a 1080.

I'm surprised amd isn't jumping on this telling everyone to wait for
their new cards which will be out shortly...

Wow. And I was a tad disappointed when I missed out on the 1080 from EVGA and went with the STRIX instead. Hope they get this problem sorted out soon.

No smoke from my EVGA 1070 FTW. I've gotten a lot of that split second black screen thing, tho.

Been thinking about getting a 1080. Maybe I'll go with the MSI Gaming.

Last edited:
No smoke from my EVGA 1070 FTW. I've gotten a lot of that split second black screen thing, tho.

Been thinking about getting a 1080. Maybe I'll go with the MSI Gaming.

Just contact them and ask for some VRM pads. They will send them to you for free.

It's the same difficulty as installing/removing a CPU heatsink. Maybe a bit easier.
Attaching the pads themselves is the easy part, just stick it onto the board...

Is it difficult to install those pads? I've never modified a graphics card.

I don't own the card, but should be as easy as removing some screws to take the cooler off, replace the thermal paste on the GPU core, and install the pads. Then put the screws back into it. Got to replace the thermal paste just like you would if you changed a CPU out.

Quite sure someone can link some pics or a video of their card getting the treatment. ;) Should be a 30 minute job. Hardest thing is finding all the screws that need to come out. My blind arse always spends 5 minutes tracking one down. ;)

I don't own the card, but should be as easy as removing some screws to take the cooler off, replace the thermal paste on the GPU core, and install the pads. Then put the screws back into it. Got to replace the thermal paste just like you would if you changed a CPU out.

Quite sure someone can link some pics or a video of their card getting the treatment. ;) Should be a 30 minute job. Hardest thing is finding all the screws that need to come out. My blind arse always spends 5 minutes tracking one down. ;)
I'm notoriously incompetent with these things. I'll either pay someone to do it or just get a different card.

That means it is precisely a screw up with the cooler if it fails to cool the card properly.

This is nonsense circular logic. Please list all the GTX 1080s and 1070s that have coolers on the backplate. I'll wait.

The only good to come from this: I'll know my VRM's will be kept cool after the install lmao.

I've got a GTX 1070 EVGA SC. I've read into it already and it supposedly affects the FTW mostly?? Due to the changed PCB. As per the EVGA forum directly. The other models should not be affected, however they are still offering free pads to those who request it (as I already have), and I have no problems replacing the stock paste which is usually crap/over-applied from factory anyway...

My card was running on a 28 odd degree day (Celsius), in a small ITX case with low RPM fans (Ncase M1), and hitting 82 degrees on the core as it was, preventing any higher boost than say 1850-1900 where it averaged. I assume my VRMs would've gotten fairly hot too but so far no issues.

Is the EVGA 1070 SC effected by the VRM overheating issue? - EVGA Forums

This is nonsense circular logic. Please list all the GTX 1080s and 1070s that have coolers on the backplate. I'll wait.
Do you need to cool a backplate? Right. Any good cooler needs to cover up hotspots that go awry on overheating. On videocards that is VRMs, memory chips and GPU die itself.

I contacted EVGA about doing an RMA on my 1070 due to the black screen errors I've gotten possibly related to this issue. The response follows:

"The entire outcry came from a single review, where the reviewers ran Furmark, a test known to cause damage to cards, for 2 hours, which is about 8 times longer than would be recommended for that particular software. Nvidia and AMD have both implemented limits in their drivers to throttle the performance of the cards when they detect Furmark running, due to the damage it causes and we do not recommend running it, as it does not have any bearing on the performance or durability of the cards in the real world, as it does things that no other application or game would ever do. We are offering to send these to customers who are willing to install them, so we can address customers concerns about this. We have retested the cards at higher ambient temperatures while using thermal couplers, to get a more accurate reading of the temperatures and found no issues with overheating, nor were we able to reproduce any of the reported issues under any kind of use we put the cards through.

I can assure you that any reports of burnt components and other potential issues are wholly unrelated to VRM thermal pads and could be related to issues with another component in your system. I would highly recommend testing the card in another system, to ensure that one of your other hardware components are not the cause of the issue."

Comments from my far more technically astute than I brethren?

I contacted EVGA about doing an RMA on my 1070 due to the black screen errors I've gotten possibly related to this issue. The response follows:

"The entire outcry came from a single review, where the reviewers ran Furmark, a test known to cause damage to cards, for 2 hours, which is about 8 times longer than would be recommended for that particular software. Nvidia and AMD have both implemented limits in their drivers to throttle the performance of the cards when they detect Furmark running, due to the damage it causes and we do not recommend running it, as it does not have any bearing on the performance or durability of the cards in the real world, as it does things that no other application or game would ever do. We are offering to send these to customers who are willing to install them, so we can address customers concerns about this. We have retested the cards at higher ambient temperatures while using thermal couplers, to get a more accurate reading of the temperatures and found no issues with overheating, nor were we able to reproduce any of the reported issues under any kind of use we put the cards through.

I can assure you that any reports of burnt components and other potential issues are wholly unrelated to VRM thermal pads and could be related to issues with another component in your system. I would highly recommend testing the card in another system, to ensure that one of your other hardware components are not the cause of the issue."

Comments from my far more technically astute than I brethren?

Generally speaking I'm not willing to believe these cards are dying left right and center because evga would have noticed.

On the other hand not cooling power mosfets is utterly utterly retarded and is a decision I simply fail to see the logic behind.

Like Razor said even last gen with Maxwell their coolers had some issue and they were simply worse than all the rest.

Not impressed

Guess it is a good thing I put a waterblock on my EVGA 1070 before I even powered it on the first time.

Not saying that this is not an issue, but the internet has a tendency to blow things out of proportion. Regarding Furmark, I never understood why people insist on running this to "break a video card in" or test their overclocks... Just use the video card what it was made for and play some games.

Do you need to cool a backplate? Right. Any good cooler needs to cover up hotspots that go awry on overheating. On videocards that is VRMs, memory chips and GPU die itself.

You seem… uneducated on this issue. The problem is that the VRMs do not make contact with the backplate. The backplate is not the ACX cooler. Don't be willfully ignorant.

Back