NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 - Fix for black screen until OS loads for Pascal, Maxwell and Kepler cards

wareyore

HDCOTY 2023
I've had some cards do this. May have to check it out.

From the article.

NV Download.

Release Highlights​

To enable the latest DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 features, your graphics card may require a firmware update.

Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.

The NVIDIA Firmware Updater will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

If you are currently experiencing a blank screen or hang on boot with a DP 1.3 or 1.4 monitor, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:

• Boot using DVI or HDMI
  • Boot using a different monitor
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy; or Legacy to UEFI.
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary or integrated graphics card)
Once you have the tool downloaded, please run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions.

The latest NVIDIA graphics card drivers can be downloaded from: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

For 32-bit NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4, please download here.

Supported Products​

NVIDIA TITAN Series:
TITAN X (Maxwell), TITAN X (Pascal), TITAN XP
GeForce 10 Series:
GeForce GT 1030, GeForce GTX 1050, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1070Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti
GeForce 900 Series:
GeForce GTX 950, GTX 950Ti, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980Ti
GeForce 700 Series:
GeForce GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750Ti
Quadro Series:
Quadro Maxwell and Pascal products may be impacted. For support and additional details, contact OEM/Channel partner. If further assistance is required, visit https://support.nvidia.com.

Nice to see nVidia still providing updates for these older GPUs. I have some 980Ti's I'll have to check if they need updating.

I'm just curious how it affects GPUs that are factory overclocked (I have a SC & 2x FTW models).

They had a firmware update for the RTX4090 for some kind of black screen on boot and I still get them randomly only while gaming. Setting the Nvidia power management mode to prefer maximum performance seems to have helped but should you need to change a power setting for your $2000 video card to not black screen while gaming?

should you need to change a power setting for your $2000 video card to not black screen while gaming?
Never had that issue on a 3mon setup (48" 4k@120 + HDR, 32" 4k@60, 8" 1080@60), even on the default Optimal Power setting, and I'm also on a Gigabyte 4090.

Never had that issue on a 3mon setup (48" 4k@120 + HDR, 32" 4k@60, 8" 1080@60), even on the default Optimal Power setting, and I'm also on a Gigabyte 4090.
I do think it's the card but it only happens while gaming a randomly. Always when in the menus so the card is ramping down. It never happens for more than a second. My RTX3080 never did it. I really don't want to mess with an RMA but it's tempting. They seem to know it's an issue or the maximum performance option is their catchall for random issues. I'm guessing if I did RMA it, they would just tell me nothing is wrong with it. I really hate random issues. :(

I mean I have this issue with my RTX 4080 / Ryzen 7900. Literally no display output until the computer is fully booted to OS. If I want to go into BIOS I have to plug into the motherboard’s integrated graphics DisplayPort.

I’m wondering if this is an AMD issue in my case because the same card didn’t behave the same way on my Intel Z790 motherboard.

This firmware first came out in 2018 for v1.0. The v1.1 doesn't say what has changed from v1.0. It adds support to flash from Windows 11, the firmware itself might not have changed.

Back