NVIDIA GPU End of Life Rumors

I'm hoping the R700 kicks the 9800 GX2 in the ass. Then Nvidia comes out with the 9900GX2 to claim the title again and that gets smashed as well. It'll be great...

Well, this gets right down to what I've asked earlier about having SLI enabled on non-Nvidia motherboards. Seems it would hold true that if Nvidia wants to sell GPU's then they should try to do it across a much larger landscape in terms of usage and that means non-Nvidia motherboards. It appears that this type of crippleware is wearing thin on the users out there that just dropped a big chunk of money on video cards only to have them EOL in a matter of 3 to 6 months. It's obvious that Nvidia is suffering from a systematic form of product stagnation and they are now stuck with SKU's that they don't know what do with or brand. Why as a user I should support this stupid internal befuddlement on their part? I think Nvidia could have generated much more revenue if they would have just stuck to what they do best, make kick-ass video cards and not branch out into the motherboard arena and hence really limit user options. Just my two cents.

Real question: What the fuck does it matter to you guys if its EOL or not? Its not like your cards will self-destruct, or that drivers will stop being updated. It only means that it will stop shipping them in quantity to retailers, and start shipping something else instead. People around here think everything is the damn end of the world.

It's about having the latest and greatest available to a community of users willing to fork out the cash to do so and when Nvidia starts to play the product shuffle/switch & bait bullshit it is patently offensive on it's mere face to these users. Not the end of the world, but not catering to the market that made you who you are today. Product loyalty may be a thing of the past, but I still like to think that if I'm loyal to a brand because of their offerings, then they will be to me and other by not doing this stuff.

This is what happens when there is no *serious* competition.

Nvidia only rises to the occasion when they are under pressure. IMO they don't know how to "coast" or take a breather, so they suck at it. We need AMD to drop a bomb card and wake their asses up.

What the shit are you guys going on about with all of this "this is what happens when ATI sucks" business? First off, now that AMD owns ATI, get ready for a prolonged period of awfulness on their end. No money = no new fabs = no die shrinks = ONOZ.

Second, even in the face of so-called "no" competition, NV is doing a pretty good job competing against itself. Just a few months ago an 8800GTX cost, what, $500 or something? Now you can get cards that are pretty much the functional equivalents in a lot of ways for $115-$150 over on the hotdeals thread.

All this hysteria -- "OMG, the new $600+ video card doesn't dominate the older $600 video card nearly as much as I want it to! NVIDIA SUCKS!@!$! -- is comical.

I'm seriously thinking about going ATI next upgrade. Not saying Nvidia videocards are bad products, but just rooting for the underdog next round.

With that said if the 8800GT going to be renamed 9800GT can you use them in SLI? I mean if they have the same core (G92) you should technically be able to right?

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised at the possibly short lifespan of these cards. The G92 is nothing more than nVidia lowering their manufacturing costs; thus they're able to bring 8800Ultra performance for a hair over $300. The G92 was never a completely new design.

We all know nVidia's been hard at work with their true next-generation chip, and it's just a matter of time before both ATI and nVidia have next-gen cards on the market.

As it is though, if you purchased a 9 series card, you purchased a great card that should perform well for a long time. The only game that really fazes these cards is Crysis, and that game is still totally playable. You might not have the latest greatest uber-card, but so what? Chances are most of you are not in the market for a $600 video card anyway.

So let me get this straight...

8800 GS = 8800 GT 256MB < 8800 GTS 320MB < 9600 GT < or = 8800 GTS 640MB < 8800 GT 512MB = 9800 GT < 8800 GTX < or = 8800 GTS 512MB < 9800 GTX < 8800 Ultra < 9900 GTX

Thanks for not making it confusing Nvidia.

Nvidia's gotta ditch this naming scheme thing. I'm loosing track of what cards are the actual 'legit' cards and what are just refreshes of those cards..... :rolleyes:

As it is though, if you purchased a 9 series card, you purchased a great card that should perform well for a long time. The only game that really fazes these cards is Crysis, and that game is still totally playable. You might not have the latest greatest uber-card, but so what? Chances are most of you are not in the market for a $600 video card anyway.

Indeed. Long-time owners of the 8800GTX should be really happy about all of this, anyway. NVIDIA has increased the effective lifespan on your video card, thus saving you a ton of money, at least for now. Hooray.

A lot of conversions going on. I wouldn't be surprised if their 99XX series didn't have anything really new and exciting in it either.

Hopefully this will continue to help drive prices down though. MSI 8800gts 512 is now 199 after rebate on the egg. If they come down a little bit more I'll be able to afford a new card finally. (7950 is growing a little long in the tooth)

Seems like theyre trying to get the 9 series out of the way. Sounds like 9900GTX etc...will just be refreshes and then the real next gen will come under a new naming scheme AKA Geforce X or something like that.

You know, I just got home from work, and I had a headache. After reading this shit, its converted into a migraine. Thanks Nvidia. I hope you plan on buying me some fucking aspirin for my trouble.

So are the GX2 Quad owners in a uproar yet? Any people starting riots at Best Buy or Mirco Center?

So are the GX2 Quad owners in a uproar yet? Any nerds starting riots at Best Buy or Mirco Center?

Why would they? They already own the cards, and like was posted earlier, if there is an early EOL, it doesn't mean nvidia will stop supporting the cards or that they will just stop working...

Why would they? They already own the cards, and like was posted earlier, if there is an early EOL, it doesn't mean nvidia will stop supporting the cards or that they will just stop working...

Because they just got screwed over by Nvidia by repackaging the G92s. Nvidia love people like you. In 3 months their new cards be coming again and you guys can purchase another card.

Really I'm just looking at this as if I were to buy the GX2. I would be piss. What in 3 months another 9 series card is coming out that will put my GX2 and GTX to shame? Fuck that, hell yeah I would be piss

Nvidia FTW

I dont think we should be too worried, i mean look at the jump from the 8800 series to the 9800 series.....?????? Who is to say that the 9900 series is going to be such a significant jump? another 5-10 fps? the 9900gtx might just be an overclocked version of the 9800GTX lol.

anybody agree?

Well I think I'm happy with a OC'd MSI 88GT/S for $210/230 before MIR after my FX5200, BFG FX5950 Ultra and BFG 6800 GT($380!).

So what kind of video do we get to see if ati wins the epenisbowl 2008? How bout an [H]lady taking a tour of Nvida's HQ as Ruby?

welcome to the cutting edge. i dont y gamers gotta play the latest+greatest games NOW. i'd rather wait. i'm still playing myst for crying out loud ;). one of the benefits of playing older games is 100+fps =P. when i get around to play crysis 5 yrs later, it'll be 100+fps with everything cranked up.

welcome to the cutting edge. i dont y gamers gotta play the latest+greatest games NOW. i'd rather wait. i'm still playing myst for crying out loud ;). one of the benefits of playing older games is 100+fps =P. when i get around to play crysis 5 yrs later, it'll be 100+fps with everything cranked up.

Well the latest and greatest sure was a good purchase with the 8800GTX. :D

After reading through all the opinions/bitching/laughing/etc., all I can think is that I'm glad my $450 investment in an 8800GTX is going to be worth it. Still one of the best cards available for another year or so. They should change the name of the "step up" program to the "chasing your tail" program. :p

evga is making bank from the step up program... I mean they are a company that knew waht kind of performance was coming out in the future. The ability for a consumer to buy a card while being under the impression that they can step it up in the next 90 days is amazing. But i think there is a catch, people who buy a good card and spend money on it, DO NOT want to waste their step up opportunity and therefore in 90 days are easily going to step up the card....pay the difference, and ship their card back to EVGA. Evga would then turn around and sell the card under their Bstock (used parts) and or keep the cards to send their customers RMA's. Its a really good marketing move. No matter what the consumer is happy.

step up program, capitalizes on the idea of "greed" and the idea of "investing"... lol

I dont think we should be too worried, i mean look at the jump from the 8800 series to the 9800 series.....?????? Who is to say that the 9900 series is going to be such a significant jump? another 5-10 fps? the 9900gtx might just be an overclocked version of the 9800GTX lol.

anybody agree?

totally agree but hopefully the 9900X2 if any will have tri-sli connectors and more freaking memory bits. but I think it's safe to say you should wait for the next true next-gen card not some refreshed fucking card! ok I got a 9800X2 glad I didn't pay retail for it. anyone wanting to upgrade now I would suggest going with a 8800GTX as those are going for cheap now since their competition "9800GTX" is not far ahead if ahead in performance at the moment. Nvidia get your next-gen cards out now and stop turning your new video card models into cross dressers.

Anyone not aware of that the 9800GX2 and the other "new" cards realeased just where a stopgap untill ATI's R700 and the following NVIDIA TRUE next-gen should stay away from enthusiast products...as they simply have inssuficient knowlegde to handle such products....

It seems pretty much anyone who wanted to upgrade bought a 8800GT. Looking at the steam survey the 8800-series is the most used video card which is quite amazing considering it's otherwise the mid-range 600-series that dominates sales in any generation. Radeon 9600 is still the most used ATI card which is just sad, does no one use ATI anymore?

It will take a few years until the next upgrade cycle. We [H]ardcore people might upgrade more often than that but most people probably don't buy a new video card more often than every 2-3 years. The 9800GTX makes no sense since pretty much everyone has upgraded and there is no point in "upgrading" from 8800GT/GTS to 9800GTX, better wait until 9900-series and see what that brings.

8800GT might possibly be the best thing that has happened to video cards in the last 5 years since it made people upgrade from their old 6600GT cards :p

It seems pretty much anyone who wanted to upgrade bought a 8800GT. Looking at the steam survey the 8800-series is the most used video card which is quite amazing considering it's otherwise the mid-range 600-series that dominates sales in any generation. Radeon 9600 is still the most used ATI card which is just sad, does no one use ATI anymore?

It will take a few years until the next upgrade cycle. We [H]ardcore people might upgrade more often than that but most people probably don't buy a new video card more often than every 2-3 years. The 9800GTX makes no sense since pretty much everyone has upgraded and there is no point in "upgrading" from 8800GT/GTS to 9800GTX, better wait until 9900-series and see what that brings.

8800GT might possibly be the best thing that has happened to video cards in the last 5 years since it made people upgrade from their old 6600GT cards :p

I went from 7800GT to 8800GT...not because of DX10...which is more of a joke than PhysX at the moment, but because of the DX9 preformance.
I will await the true next gen single GPU, as I very much dislike SLI/Crossfire...and meanwhile i will wonder why people are so suprised by this...look at hthe 7950GX2..and then LEARN form the history ;)

I am suprised at the number of people who think the GX2 people should be bitter about anything?

Heck, mine might arrive today... :)

Even if the new cards take longer than 90 days, and I don't catch a step up from EVGA, no big deal...
I can think of allot of things worse than running a GX2 in your system.

It's the Ultra boy's who have a problem giving up the crown for single fastest card, not the GX2 boy's. :p
We expect it...

Do we think some new games are about to be released, that a single GX2 won't be able to run in the near future?
Not for quite a while i'm guessing.

Easy come, easy go...

I think most of us GX2 owners knew exactly what we were doing, buying a card that could deal with 1920x1200, with speed to spare in most games.
Many were intel based mobo guy's with slow GPU's. (Like me.)

The new cards will be faster as expected. With a GX2, you could hang back and get the revised editions of the new tech cards... You need not click 'buy' on day 1.

Depends on your point of view I guess. ;)

Steam Survey, to save people some time.

I might have misunderstood part of your post, but the 8800s themselves are still only just under 10%. The 8600s is just over 5%. If you look at the first few, there's still more 7-series in use than 8-series. :)

Oh, and the 9600 has almost 48,000 users, but the X1950 has just over 37,000 users, so that's not too bad.

BUT ALL OF THAT SAID, I do agree with the gist of your post. :)

I think most of us GX2 owners knew exactly what we were doing, buying a card that could deal with 1920x1200, with speed to spare in most games.

1920x1200, there a 8800GT would be fine.
ONLY game that is "borked" is Crysis....6 hours wasted on that game, all other games the GX2 is wasted.

I own a GX2 and I am quite happy with it, I will wait until after the new Intel chips come out before upgrading again.

Hmmm...there was someone on this board who saw this coming from a mile away. That guy just wouldn't shut up about this latest nVidia launch. You know I think that guy was right the whole time. There were a few flamers that were really going after him. Who was that guy.......?

.....Oh yeah nevermind...it was me...

I think most of us GX2 owners knew exactly what we were doing, buying a card that could deal with 1920x1200, with speed to spare in most games./quote]

1920x1200, there a 8800GT would be fine.
ONLY game that is "borked" is Crysis....6 hours wasted on that game, all other games the GX2 is wasted.
Crysis is not borked at all. It is significantly more complex than any other game. It would be wrong to blame your bad performance on them. The problem is that neither nVidia or ATi have released a card that can play that game at reasonable framerates at a fair price. The truth is that we need a SINGLE card that performs about 50% faster than Quad SLi 9800GX2's. I know alot of you are gonna freak out and say that it is not possible blah blah blah. It is possible and at a reasonable price point. nVidia just isn't doing it cause it will be more difficult and therefore they are not willing to put forth the extra little bit to make it happen. They are too busy counting all the money flowing in from the casual mainstream cards to worry about us that want to stay on the cutting edge.

I'm actually kind of happy the way things are going. Even though 9800GTX is basically a 8800GTS 512 refresh, it costs way lower than 8800GTX at initial release. I may give up my 3870 and switch to 9800GTX to get that AA performance. Prices on Nvidia cards have never been this low ever since the 8800GTX was introduced and tore up ATI's 1900 and 2900 series then still be able to beat the 3870. Now ATI is competitive we get much lower prices in mid-range to middle high-end cards.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzE1NzUsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Our NVIDIA GPU EOL Rumors post got some people talking yesterday and asking questions, so we wanted to help out with some more specific answers.

We mentioned that the GeForce 8800 GT will be renamed the &#8220;9800 GT&#8221; gaining some Hybrid SLI features. Along with that, you will see the GeForce 9800 GT represent a die shrink to 55nm as well. It seems as though the 55nm changes will be running and will possibly stretch across both model numbers. Yes, smaller, cooler GT cards which is certainly a good thing. It is also being rumored that the 9800 GTS will be a 55nm part as well.

9900 GTX and 9900 GTS are rumored to be brand new parts, not re-spins of current GPUs, but this is far from being confirmed through multiple sources. I am expecting to see this parts return to $450+ levels depending on what we see AMD do with R700.

It is still just a bit too early for solid details but we will of course pass along what we can when we can.

Really I'm just looking at this as if I were to buy the GX2. I would be piss. What in 3 months another 9 series card is coming out that will put my GX2 and GTX to shame? Fuck that, hell yeah I would be piss

You do realize that something faster in the future doesn't make your current card worse right? So you would be happy with a GX2 if nothing better came out but you wouldnt be happy with the same friggin card if something beat it in a few months? Please make sense....unless you buy hardware on some sort of insecure ego trip vibes then I can see what you're saying.

Back