Nvidia go 7600 wierd problem

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
I have a barebones model laptop I bought from Cyberpower Inc. It's model MS-16331, but it's pretty similar to the Crystal M677. I have Vista Ultimate 32bit.

I'm having a problem with my video card driver. The graphics chip is a nVidia go 7600 with a nVidia C51MV + MCP51M chipset. I've been going up the wall trying to find the right drivers for this notebook. nvidia doesn't support the drivers directly, and the drivers from your site don't work either.

The problem is, when i try to install the suggested driver, i get an error during the setup that says "setup cannot find necessary drivers for instalation" When that fails, vista pops up to ask to try the setup again with different settings. When i do that, the error says "the operating system you are using is not vista 32 bit."

So then i try to install the drivers through device manager. then i select update drivers, then point to the extracted driver directory. when i restart i get a screwed up Blue screen of death. On the driver i most recently tried, i can get to desktop only to get completely random bsod's.

I've tried this with at least 6 different drivers that said they were compatible with the Go 7600.

I even tried uninstalling windows vista 32, doing a low level format, and installing windows XP 64 bit to see if anything changed. I'm getting a similar problem. except instead of a blue screen of death, it's just garbled beyond recognition.

Here's the thing, using windows default VGA drivers, everything's fine. Also, this problem all started after just updating the video drivers from an older version i got from:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=driverfile&dno=2883&i=0

to the current one from the site.

ALSO:

I installed Fedora 8. Using the deafult drivers, it also works fine. But i went to install some nvidia drivers from the livna repositories, and i got the same problem.

Summary:
- I am getting a fucked up display when i install any nVidia drivers for my go 7600, default drivers work fine.
- This happens in Vista32, XP64, and Fedora 8 x86_64.
- This all started happening when I updated the card's drivers once.

What is causing this problem? Is it a defect in the chip? Are there any other cases of this problem?

I attached a picture of the scrambled screen i am getting with xp 64 after installing the driver

Thanks,
swordfish45

Back