NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Video Card GPU Review @ [H]

Have the display port issues common to the 980 been addressed with this card?

I'm guessing the 295x2 would slightly come out ahead, but it is effectively still a dual GPU. If you were to add another 295x2 down the line, or a R9 290X, scaling past two GPUs is generally terrible.

I see a lot of benefit sticking with an almost fast single GPU, that way you get the option of adding another later and have great scaling, plus no issues on games that don't support multi-GPU.

Cards like the 980 Ti and probably AMD's own upcoming Fury make cards like the 295x2 irrelevant to me really.

Historically [H]ardOCP has been about Price to Performance comparison, they talked about it between the TITAN X and GTX 980Ti throughout the review... There is no reason why they shouldn't have included the 295x2... Although I am not an AMD fanboy I am a bit perplexed that they did not include that cardm or at least give an explanation as to why it wasn't shown.

Historically [H]ardOCP has been about Price to Performance comparison, they talked about it between the TITAN X and GTX 980Ti throughout the review... There is no reason why they shouldn't have included the 295x2... Although I am not an AMD fanboy I am a bit perplexed that they did not include that cardm or at least give an explanation as to why it wasn't shown.

Yeah I don't think it's stated in the article, but it's kind of implicit:

We're all waiting for Fury. It wouldn't be fair to compare NVIDIA's 2015 lineup against AMD's 2014 lineup would it? :D

(Not to mention it's never apples to apples to compare a dual GPU card against a single GPU card given the implementations of SLI/Crossfire and the difficulties in scaling. Just because you can crank out FPS and frametimes doesn't necessarily give reasonable values to use as a comparison.)

I got the gigabyte g1, it doesn't spin up to full speed and get super noisy but it's quite loud at normal speeds. I can definitely hear the difference over a 680 though (only old card I had lying around)

Jeebus it's a quick card though. Between Ark, Witcher and GTA the recent releases have definitely necessitated an upgrade from me but happily the 980ti put them back in their place. The jump to 4k when the asus pg27aq comes out will be interesting though.

Also, for witcher graphics comparisons, all you have to do to run at Ultra on a 980 or 980Ti (including Hairworks ON) is turn down the foliage distance to High and for the 980, shadows to High as well. I can get a smooth 60 FPS on the 980Ti and just over 50 average on the 980 using all Ultra settings except for those settings. Try them! Foliage distance makes almost no noticeable difference unless studying screenshots
I agree about the shadows (I even tried medium and did not see much difference) but I disagree about Foliage distance. The performance difference between uber and high is very big, but it is justified. On high you can easily notice foliage popup at a moderate distance. So it's actually the other way round - it's almost indiscernible on screenshots (because they are static), but very visible when playing the game, especially galloping on a horse. Once I saw the foliage popup on high I was unable to unsee it.

I agree about the shadows (I even tried medium and did not see much difference) but I disagree about Foliage distance. The performance difference between uber and high is very big, but it is justified. On high you can easily notice foliage popup at a moderate distance. So it's actually the other way round - it's almost indiscernible on screenshots (because they are static), but very visible when playing the game, especially galloping on a horse. Once I saw the foliage popup on high I was unable to unsee it.

I disagree, the foliage draw distance make a big difference in gameplay as I CANNOT STAND pop up drawing and what not. The shadows I can't seem to get looking good no matter what I do, they have this annoying line between quality and then blurred mess. I never run hairworks , the framerate hit is not worth it

I disagree, the foliage draw distance make a big difference in gameplay as I CANNOT STAND pop up drawing and what not. The shadows I can't seem to get looking good no matter what I do, they have this annoying line between quality and then blurred mess. I never run hairworks , the framerate hit is not worth it

You said you disagree with him and then agreed with him.
Did you quote the wrong post?

Nvidia vs Nvidia.. but the real truth is even for a 2013 product in 4k Amd isn't far behind with a single gpu. Now the 290x destroy all of them in price/performance then you have the bs about well.. you run into issues with dual cards.. but you can buy 2 titan x! Honestly there is no reason to not have a dual card setup these days.. amd works on every game unless Fucking Nvidia game works gets to it.

Dual GPU is no comparison for a single GPU. Not every game is SLi or Crossfire optimized and the drivers need work too. I personally wouldn't venture into either of the two technologies and would be inclined to a single fastest GPU like the 980 Ti.

Nvidia vs Nvidia.. but the real truth is even for a 2013 product in 4k Amd isn't far behind with a single gpu. Now the 290x destroy all of them in price/performance then you have the bs about well.. you run into issues with dual cards.. but you can buy 2 titan x! Honestly there is no reason to not have a dual card setup these days.. amd works on every game unless Fucking Nvidia game works gets to it.

Rubbish.
If dual AMD worked well I would have stuck with it.
Had my fill of it a while back because it took a long time for games to get support and some didnt work well.
Just recently had to get rid of my 290x because I had enough of driver problems with a single card.
Now I own a 980 and its a different world, a lot quicker, a lot better support and the only driver issue has been getting DSR to stick when switching between multiple displays.
Relief.

At 4K though 4GB of VRAM is clearly not enough. At 4K you want at a MINIMUM 6GB. It is possible though that more may actually help as you start increasing the number of video cards in SLI. 6GB might actually not be enough for some games in 4K when SLI is involved, we will see.
This is something where I have to disagree. Your apples to apples charts doesn't show any symptoms of actually hitting the vram wall with 4GB 980, even on Dying Light which is eating up 6GB of memory on TX. If you actually hit the vram wall, you would see single digit numbers on the minimum frame rates on that 980 which isn't happening.

Memory allocated =! Memory needed :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents

This is something where I have to disagree. Your apples to apples charts doesn't show any symptoms of actually hitting the vram wall with 4GB 980, even on Dying Light which is eating up 6GB of memory on TX. If you actually hit the vram wall, you would see single digit numbers on the minimum frame rates on that 980 which isn't happening.

Memory allocated =! Memory needed :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents

Thats not correct. You will never see minimum digit numbers but experience micro stuttering / hitching. The frame drop happens for a nano second which fraps won't tell you but game play experience will be degraded.

Thats not correct. You will never see minimum digit numbers but experience micro stuttering / hitching. The frame drop happens for a nano second which fraps won't tell you but game play experience will be degraded.
Yes you can get hitching but you ALSO can most certainly dip down to super low framerates when hitting vram wall.

The reference 980 TI doesn't have a dual link dvi port. DP to Dual Link DVI Adapters are pretty pricey. Are there any 980 TI variants that do have dual link dvi support?

Good review. but at this point i say grab a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and a 980.and save that $150 -$500 for pascal in the sping.I'm not impressed with any of these cards at 4k.

Good review. but at this point i say grab a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and a 980.and save that $150 -$500 for pascal in the sping.I'm not impressed with any of these cards at 4k.

Your expecting too much from current GPUS to run 4k on a single card well. Ain't gonna happen.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/

If this review is accurate, this is currently the quietest non reference design, it also has a backplate, costs only $20 more than reference and is faster than Titan X thanks to factory overclock.

Could someone confirm this is the same card that in the review?
http://www.morele.net/karta-graficz...it-3xdp-hdmi-dvi-i-box-06g-p4-4995-kr-747896/

I ordered this exact card yesterday.
Yes, its the same card as the review.
Note the SC+, the other versions are the normal cooler and SC.

Check here to see all the models.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Produc...=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/

If this review is accurate, this is currently the quietest non reference design, it also has a backplate, costs only $20 more than reference and is faster than Titan X thanks to factory overclock.

Could someone confirm this is the same card that in the review?
http://www.morele.net/karta-graficz...it-3xdp-hdmi-dvi-i-box-06g-p4-4995-kr-747896/
That looks like the same card in that review.

I wanted to also throw in that Kitguru's measurements showed the EVGA card only being very slightly quieter during gaming (.1 dBa), but isn't clocked as high as Gigabyte's offering and runs about 3 degrees hotter while gaming.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/gigabyte-gtx980-ti-g1-gaming-review/17/

So the Gigabyte should definitely be considered too if you're looking for a 980 Ti (simply adjust the fan profile, you could probably match EVGA's noise while still getting better temps).

That looks like the same card in that review.

I wanted to also throw in that Kitguru's measurements showed the EVGA card only being very slightly quieter during gaming (.1 dBa), but isn't clocked as high as Gigabyte's offering and runs about 3 degrees hotter while gaming.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/gigabyte-gtx980-ti-g1-gaming-review/17/

So the Gigabyte should definitely be considered too if you're looking for a 980 Ti (simply adjust the fan profile, you could probably match EVGA's noise while still getting better temps).

Gigabyte this generation are the best AIB for nvidia cards, speaking of course in terms of overclock and cooling.. I have 2 EVGA ACX GTX 980TI one SC+ ACX+ and the SC ACX (no backplate) and I don't know why but the backplate version run much cooler and quieter, even considering that, the first thing I will do when the Gigabyte 980TI G1 drop in the market is buy one and compare to this one.. the better overclocker at lower noise with modded BIOS will be the one I'll keep.

You may be right, EVGA is quieter than G1, but at higher temp (70 vs 76).
But the only non-reference video card available at a sane price is that EVGA and I am too impatient to wait :) I can always switch cards down the line.

And thank you to all users for confiming this is the same card.

Back